Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - effectiveness of recycling?

On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 16:58:47 -0000, tim..... wrote:

"PeterC" wrote in message

On 2014-12-21, Bill Wright wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Its all a green con anyway.

no one uses council compost because its likely contaminated. nearly
all
waste ends up as landfill anyway despite what you do to it

The glass gets sent to China for use as hardcore, at a massive cost in
CO2 emissions.

Actually it gets used to make glass fibre insulation.

Some.

How much glass fibre did you use last year?
How many glass bottles did you throw away?

I'll bet the second was an order of magnitude greater than the first

But if you are a commercial new build, I suspect it is not

tim

There's a 330,000 sq. ft. new unit not far away - all the insulation is
(labelled) as wool - not many bottles in that, I hope.

just because some commercial new builds aren't insulated with glass fibre
products, doesn't negate the fact that those that do are using up more than
their own quantity of previously "consumed" glass containers.

tim

Of course - it's an exception, I'm sure.

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-12-21, Bill Wright wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Its all a green con anyway.

no one uses council compost because its likely contaminated. nearly all
waste ends up as landfill anyway despite what you do to it

The glass gets sent to China for use as hardcore, at a massive cost in
CO2 emissions.

Actually it gets used to make glass fibre insulation.

Some.

How much glass fibre did you use last year?
How many glass bottles did you throw away?

I'll bet the second was an order of magnitude greater than the first

I throw away virtually no glass bottles. They are all plastic & go in the
recycle bin.

Nobody uses glass fibre any more.
There is a suspicion/theory about that it's as carcinogenic as asbestos.
They are keeping quiet about it.
It has been quietly discontinued so by the time it all comes out, the
victims will be dead and can't sue
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_fiber#Safety
There is more if you search a bit.

Future trade for the ambulance chasers???!!

So if you have it in your roof space, you might have a problem

The similar insulation is mineral wool, quite differentr stuff. Non-itchy.
Glass fibre is the itchy stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

..

Some.

How much glass fibre did you use last year?
How many glass bottles did you throw away?

I'll bet the second was an order of magnitude greater than the first

But if you are a commercial new build, I suspect it is not

tim

There's a 330,000 sq. ft. new unit not far away - all the insulation is
(labelled) as wool - not many bottles in that, I hope.

Mineral wool, not glass wool.
Quite different stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"polygonum" wrote in message
On 21/12/2014 11:43, Dennis@home wrote:
It costs next to no CO2 to send stuff to china, the empty container
ships are going there anyway.

Even if it were the case that the container ships use not even one extra
joule nor emit a single extra molecule of CO2, the transport from numerous
collecting points to the ships ain't going to be without any CO2
emissions.

There are significant savings recycling glass compared with making new.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 18:29:54 on Mon, 22 Dec
2014, harryagain remarked:

I throw away virtually no glass bottles. They are all plastic & go in the
recycle bin.

The glass bottles are plastic?

I put both my glass and plastic bottles in the recycling, if that counts
as "not throwing away".
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 22 December 2014 18:32:44 UTC, harry wrote:

Mineral wool, not glass wool.
Quite different stuff.

No; glass wool is a type of mineral wool.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/14 18:44, Mathew Newton wrote:
On Monday, 22 December 2014 18:32:44 UTC, harry wrote:

Mineral wool, not glass wool.
Quite different stuff.

No; glass wool is a type of mineral wool.

that's why its called rockwool then is it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_wool#Manufacture

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 18:31:39 -0000, harryagain wrote:

.

Some.

How much glass fibre did you use last year?
How many glass bottles did you throw away?

I'll bet the second was an order of magnitude greater than the first

But if you are a commercial new build, I suspect it is not

tim

There's a 330,000 sq. ft. new unit not far away - all the insulation is
(labelled) as wool - not many bottles in that, I hope.

Mineral wool, not glass wool.
Quite different stuff.

Um, if it's mineral (rock) wool, why is it labelled as "natural"? The men
weren't wearing masks and some didn't have gloves; also, no disposable suits
in evidence.
Me thinks 'twas sheepy stuff.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 22 December 2014 18:50:20 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Mineral wool, not glass wool.
Quite different stuff.

No; glass wool is a type of mineral wool.

that's why its called rockwool then is it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_wool#Manufacture

If you're going to rely on a Wikipedia article at least read the whole page. It discusses three types of mineral wool - glass wool, stone (rock) wool and ceramic fibre wool. They are all mineral wools - it is a generic term.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 23 December 2014 08:07:50 UTC, PeterC wrote:

Um, if it's mineral (rock) wool, why is it labelled as "natural"?

There's little more natural than rock!

The men weren't wearing masks and some didn't have gloves; also, no
disposable suits in evidence.
Me thinks 'twas sheepy stuff.

All mineral wools have very clear instructions about taking protective measures when installing given their fibrous construction. Whether or not they are followed is a different matter entirely.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 18:31:39 -0000, harryagain wrote:

.

Some.

How much glass fibre did you use last year?
How many glass bottles did you throw away?

I'll bet the second was an order of magnitude greater than the first

But if you are a commercial new build, I suspect it is not

tim

There's a 330,000 sq. ft. new unit not far away - all the insulation is
(labelled) as wool - not many bottles in that, I hope.

Mineral wool, not glass wool.
Quite different stuff.

Um, if it's mineral (rock) wool, why is it labelled as "natural"? The men
weren't wearing masks and some didn't have gloves; also, no disposable
suits
in evidence.
Me thinks 'twas sheepy stuff.

The sheepy stuff is far too expensive for commercial use.

Email effectiveness KenK Home Repair 25 May 6th 14 01:41 AM
CWI - how to measure effectiveness? David J UK diy 9 November 27th 09 11:15 PM
Loctite's effectiveness after heating? Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 2 September 28th 08 12:15 PM
How to improve effectiveness of fireplace - fit a woodburning stove? Simon[_9_] UK diy 15 September 19th 08 10:05 AM
Does mouse poison lose its effectiveness? [email protected] Home Repair 11 September 29th 07 05:07 AM