Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Barry Bucknall: the Father of DIY

On 24/11/2014 09:57, F wrote:
On 24/11/2014 06:34, Andy Cap wrote:

For the same reason so many people are now choosing to install
free-standing baths. Because lots of people like to follow fashion.

The biggest waste of money and space I've seen in years.

Handy for storing yer rubber ducks under the bath though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/2014 08:46, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Andy Cap
writes
On 23/11/14 21:34, soup wrote:
On 23/11/2014 21:25, DerbyBorn wrote:

in the days when people learned something from watching DIY on TV!

Like how to ruin paneled doors by covering them in hardboard. ;O)

It's called 'fashion' and people act like sheep. It happens all the time.

What comes after engineered wood floor? Possible house rebuild next year
and I'd like to be in front of the trend:-)

Aluminium chequer plate, for the industrial look.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 24, 2014 8:48:45 AM UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:
What comes after engineered wood floor? Possible house rebuild next year
and I'd like to be in front of the trend:-)

Recycled plastic planks?
http://www.filcris.co.uk/products/bo...s/solid-planks

What footballers' wives have this year, Argos sells next year.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Monday, November 24, 2014 8:48:45 AM UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:
What comes after engineered wood floor? Possible house rebuild next year
and I'd like to be in front of the trend:-)

Recycled plastic planks?
http://www.filcris.co.uk/products/bo...s/solid-planks

What footballers' wives have this year, Argos sells next year.

Owain

Bucknell was possibly the first TV DIY individual, but
encyclopedias/compendia from the 20s and 30s gave full instructions for
making your own paint, hanging wallpaper, bricklaying, plastering and
tool usage. My father built his mothers first radio from a kit somewhere
around 1930 and most people made many of their own clothes in the late
19th century. DIY was a necessity.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/2014 01:28, Tim Watts wrote:
On 23/11/14 21:34, soup wrote:
On 23/11/2014 21:25, DerbyBorn wrote:

in the days when people learned something from watching DIY on TV!

Like how to ruin paneled doors by covering them in hardboard. ;O)

Yes - but easily undone - we had great fund "restoring" our doors.
Hardboard was only panel pinned on and after that we just had to pull
the stops off and re position them.

The hardest bit was dealing with the 1930's "varnish". Turned to toffee
under heat and needed gallons of painstripper. Impossible to sand.

In the end a light sand to key it and overcoat with non-drip gloss
seemed to be the easiest way.

Which then chips back to black/brown etc...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/14 09:55, F wrote:

Bare floorboards with a rectangle of carpet that stops short of all
sides by 6-12" and does not go into the alcoves.

The boards are either dry and bare, or varnished.

Which is what we had back in the 50s and 60s.

That was the point ;-

I see floppy 80's hairdos on the teenagers again (half the secondary
school walks past my house of a morning and afternoon).

Flares seem to have gone again, but skinny trousers are back - mostly on
hipsters. Not to mention Grizzly Adams beards.

Hotpants seem to be randomly back (hooray).

Still waiting for beehive hair and some major afros.

What else is there that hasn't been around yet? Horn rimmed glasses -
could be the next hipster thing...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/14 20:55, cd wrote:
The bloke that started it all! I think that was his name.
Anyone remember Barry on the telly in the early 70s with his hardboard,
Formica and Evo-Stick?

No - the beginning of DIY was when Ug decided a couple of finger
paintings of him standing victorious on a mammoth would look cool in his
cave

Then later, DIY was what you did when the roof leaked on your mediaeval
hovel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 24, 2014 11:18:03 AM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
No - the beginning of DIY was when Ug decided a couple of finger
paintings of him standing victorious on a mammoth would look cool in his
cave

Actually it was when Mrs Ug decided she wanted a cave painting like Mrs Og had got.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/2014 09:26, Tim Watts wrote:

Bare floorboards with a rectangle of carpet that stops short of all
sides by 6-12" and does not go into the alcoves.

The boards are either dry and bare, or varnished.

No boards visible on our set-up, we had a strip of lino running from
the wall to the edge of the carpet.

I remember sweeping the edge foot or so:lino(hands and knees with a
hand brush and dustpan) on that sort of set-up in the 60s/early70s
(just a sprog not born till '62 so the 50s are a mystery to me).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
On 24/11/14 08:46, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Andy Cap
writes
On 23/11/14 21:34, soup wrote:
On 23/11/2014 21:25, DerbyBorn wrote:

in the days when people learned something from watching DIY on TV!

Like how to ruin paneled doors by covering them in hardboard. ;O)

It's called 'fashion' and people act like sheep. It happens all the time.

What comes after engineered wood floor? Possible house rebuild next year
and I'd like to be in front of the trend:-)

Rip it up.

Bare floorboards with a rectangle of carpet that stops short of all
sides by 6-12" and does not go into the alcoves.

The boards are either dry and bare, or varnished.

Currently carpet over chipboard.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
On 23/11/14 21:34, soup wrote:
On 23/11/2014 21:25, DerbyBorn wrote:

in the days when people learned something from watching DIY on TV!

Like how to ruin paneled doors by covering them in hardboard. ;O)

It's called 'fashion' and people act like sheep. It happens all the
time.

What comes after engineered wood floor? Possible house rebuild next year
and I'd like to be in front of the trend:-)

Aluminium chequer plate, for the industrial look.

Very practical

Nice with underfloor heating:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Capitol" wrote in message
On Monday, November 24, 2014 8:48:45 AM UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:
What comes after engineered wood floor? Possible house rebuild next year
and I'd like to be in front of the trend:-)

Recycled plastic planks?
http://www.filcris.co.uk/products/bo...s/solid-planks

What footballers' wives have this year, Argos sells next year.

Owain

Bucknell was possibly the first TV DIY individual, but encyclopedias/compendia from the
20s and 30s gave full instructions for making your own paint, hanging wallpaper,
bricklaying, plastering and tool usage. My father built his mothers first radio from a
kit somewhere around 1930 and most people made many of their own clothes in the late
19th century. DIY was a necessity.

A changing pattern of home ownership probably had a big impact on DIY.
All the newly built houses built between the wars probably wouldn't have
need much DIY for decades while all the older stock was probably either
rented out and so not the responsibility of the tenant, or owned by people
who relied on tradesmen. However with the decline in the rented sector
after WWII all that changed.

michael adams

..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

On 24/11/14 10:05, "Nightjar \"cpb\""@ insert my surname here wrote:

Aluminium chequer plate, for the industrial look.

Very practical

A particular office area at work was tarted up for showcase
purposes, and the chosen flooring was vinyl chequer plate. The
noise every time someone moved a chair was amazing.

They really managed to go for form over function, and constructed
a freestanding transparent "whiteboard", as much in evidence on
TV. Nobody managed to read anything written on it, until it was
eventually shunted against a light coloured wall.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/14 12:34, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

On 24/11/14 10:05, "Nightjar \"cpb\""@ insert my surname here wrote:

Aluminium chequer plate, for the industrial look.

Very practical

A particular office area at work was tarted up for showcase
purposes, and the chosen flooring was vinyl chequer plate. The
noise every time someone moved a chair was amazing.

They really managed to go for form over function, and constructed
a freestanding transparent "whiteboard", as much in evidence on
TV. Nobody managed to read anything written on it, until it was
eventually shunted against a light coloured wall.

Oh dear...

The worst place I've ever been was an office in a poncy refurbished
under-the-arches place in EC London.

It looked cool.

But you could not hear yourself think let along what the bloke opposite
you was saying - the brick arch ceiling and hard mezzanine floor plus
solid ground floor bounce every little bit of sound around 100 times and
I'm pretty sure the arched ceiling acted like a parabolic reflector!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/14 12:25, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Tim Watts
writes
On 23/11/14 21:34, soup wrote:
On 23/11/2014 21:25, DerbyBorn wrote:

in the days when people learned something from watching DIY on TV!

Like how to ruin paneled doors by covering them in hardboard. ;O)

It's called 'fashion' and people act like sheep. It happens all the
time.

What comes after engineered wood floor? Possible house rebuild next
year
and I'd like to be in front of the trend:-)

Aluminium chequer plate, for the industrial look.

Very practical

Nice with underfloor heating:-)

How about it "is the UFH" - bolt a big cable at two diagonal corners and
run it from a big transformer at a few volts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/2014 12:45, Tim Watts wrote:

I was more thinking:

http://hairstyletwist.com/wp-content.../img012web.jpg

Not tortoishelly enough for me. ;O)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

Yes indeed. The area in question was walled off from the rest of
us by shiny partitions, which made it pretty acoustically lively.

They gave it curved corners, and a partially barriered entry, all
in Perspex. The image this design evoked was such that it was
soon nicknamed "****oir"

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/32031816.jpg

The sound leakage to us on neighbouring desks was pretty
irritating, and we got to know key parts of the usual
presentation by heart.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 23 November 2014 23:06:49 UTC, wrote:
On Sunday, November 23, 2014 10:12:04 PM UTC, Tim Streater wrote:
My dad hardboarded all our doors...

Why, FFS?

Panelled doors seen as old-fashioned and dust-collectors.

Owain

I seem to remmeber as a kid the banistar rails being seeled in behind hardboard too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/14 13:49, whisky-dave wrote:
On Sunday, 23 November 2014 23:06:49 UTC, wrote:
On Sunday, November 23, 2014 10:12:04 PM UTC, Tim Streater wrote:
My dad hardboarded all our doors...
Why, FFS?

Panelled doors seen as old-fashioned and dust-collectors.

Owain

I seem to remmeber as a kid the banistar rails being seeled in behind hardboard too.

Yes they were at our house (along with the doors) when I were a lad.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, November 23, 2014 8:55:43 PM UTC, cd wrote:
The bloke that started it all! I think that was his name.
Anyone remember Barry on the telly in the early 70s with his hardboard,
Formica and Evo-Stick?

He died in 2003 at the age of 91

I just remember him on TV.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...r&GRid=7235378

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2014 21:34, soup wrote:
On 23/11/2014 21:25, DerbyBorn wrote:

in the days when people learned something from watching DIY on TV!

Like how to ruin paneled doors by covering them in hardboard. ;O)

My Dad did that!!!

So did mine.

We had a nice pine kitchen table. One weekend the pine top was removed
and replaced with a rectangular piece of new-fangled chipboard, with the
corners chopped off at 45 degrees, then covered with a sheet of red
formica and black edgeing stuck on with evostick.

if the panelled doors (or ornate balistrades) were just panelled in with
hardboord, then they were preserved and protected for future
generations. It was the berks who ripped all the cornicing and features
out who ruined houses.

Barry was interviewed about 10 to 15 years ago on TV and he was still
'at it'. He showed the interviewer his tea-trolley nicely upgraded with
a set of set of big rubber castor wheels that would be more at home on a
hospital trolley.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/2014 06:32, Andy Cap wrote:
On 23/11/14 21:34, soup wrote:
On 23/11/2014 21:25, DerbyBorn wrote:

in the days when people learned something from watching DIY on TV!

Like how to ruin paneled doors by covering them in hardboard. ;O)

It's called 'fashion' and people act like sheep. It happens all the time.

My grand parents started taking in lodgers when he stopped working but
the council made him cover all the doors with asbestos on both sides,
overpainted to look like a smooth door.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/14 21:34, soup wrote:
On 23/11/2014 21:25, DerbyBorn wrote:

in the days when people learned something from watching DIY on TV!

Like how to ruin paneled doors by covering them in hardboard. ;O)

It's called 'fashion' and people act like sheep. It happens all the
time.

What comes after engineered wood floor? Possible house rebuild next year
and I'd like to be in front of the trend:-)

Rip it up.

Bare floorboards with a rectangle of carpet that stops short of all
sides by 6-12" and does not go into the alcoves.

The boards are either dry and bare, or varnished.

Which is what we had back in the 50s and 60s.

MY dad shellaced all the upstairs floor boards before putting non-fitted
carpets down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/2014 00:37, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 22:12:00 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Bob Eager
wrote:

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 21:00:01 +0000, charles wrote:

In article ,
cd wrote:
The bloke that started it all! I think that was his name.
Anyone remember Barry on the telly in the early 70s with his
hardboard,
Formica and Evo-Stick?

Barry Bucknall?

The very one, from the subject line!

My dad hardboarded all our doors...

Why, FFS?

Because Barry did a programme about modernising the look...

Actually, he did the banisters all down the stairs too. Hardboard both
sides!

Could have been a modesty-thing in the 60's as hemlines started at
bum-level.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/2014 15:52, Andrew wrote:
On 23/11/2014 21:34, soup wrote:
[...]

I suspect that it was a bit more than that. He died almost 12 years ago,
aged 91.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

I once installed a patio awning inside a 'trendy' office. The 2m x 3m
Velux style roof window made it unusable on sunny days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RobertL" wrote in message
On Sunday, November 23, 2014 8:55:43 PM UTC, cd wrote:
The bloke that started it all! I think that was his name.
Anyone remember Barry on the telly in the early 70s with his hardboard,
Formica and Evo-Stick?

He died in 2003 at the age of 91

I just remember him on TV.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...r&GRid=7235378

Bizarre wearing a tie to do DIY.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
And a bit later the Artex!

God, I'm still taking the angle grinder to that stuff in my kitchen.

jgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 24, 2014 10:33:59 PM UTC, wrote:
harry wrote:
And a bit later the Artex!

God, I'm still taking the angle grinder to that stuff in my kitchen.

Hah, I had tongue-and-groove on the ceiling, which I am slowly converting into pipe and cable boxing-in.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/2014 11:16, Tim Watts wrote:
What else is there that hasn't been around yet? Horn rimmed glasses -
could be the next hipster thing...

I've just ordered some new glasses. According to my optician, the latest
thing are the thick black frames that I last wore in the 1960s.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 11:03:14 +0000, Capitol
wrote:

.

Bucknell was possibly the first TV DIY individual, but
encyclopedias/compendia from the 20s and 30s gave full instructions for
making your own paint, hanging wallpaper, bricklaying, plastering and
tool usage. My father built his mothers first radio from a kit somewhere
around 1930 and most people made many of their own clothes in the late
19th century. DIY was a necessity.

Often those books seemed to be given out as school prizes in the age
when pupils ended school at 14. Both my Father and my FIl had such
books. A plan for a Rabbit Hutch and Pop Pop boat seem to be
compulsory.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2014 20:55, cd wrote:
The bloke that started it all! I think that was his name.
Anyone remember Barry on the telly in the early 70s with his hardboard,
Formica and Evo-Stick?

I'm amazed that no-one seems to have mentioned the big Yankee spiral
ratchet screwdriver (used with pre-drilled pilot and main holes, of
course, so everything went together incredibly quickly and easily).

Now, of course, with decent rechargable drill-drivers and twinstart
screws anyone can put stuff together just as quickly!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2014 11:15, newshound wrote:
On 23/11/2014 20:55, cd wrote:
The bloke that started it all! I think that was his name.
Anyone remember Barry on the telly in the early 70s with his hardboard,
Formica and Evo-Stick?

I'm amazed that no-one seems to have mentioned the big Yankee spiral
ratchet screwdriver (used with pre-drilled pilot and main holes, of
course, so everything went together incredibly quickly and easily).

Now, of course, with decent rechargable drill-drivers and twinstart
screws anyone can put stuff together just as quickly!

Sorry, I see John mentioned this last night!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-11-24, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Yes indeed. The area in question was walled off from the rest of
us by shiny partitions, which made it pretty acoustically lively.

They gave it curved corners, and a partially barriered entry, all
in Perspex. The image this design evoked was such that it was
soon nicknamed "****oir"

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/32031816.jpg

That looks rather more sophisticated than the traditional French one.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vespasienne

(Last time I was in Paris, I tracked down & used the last one
standing, as shown in the photo there. It was in pretty bad shape & I
had to be careful where I stood.)

The sound leakage to us on neighbouring desks was pretty
irritating, and we got to know key parts of the usual
presentation by heart.

Ha ha, you said "leakage".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/14 12:16, Adam Funk wrote:

Ha ha, you said "leakage".

Thank you Finbarr Funk...

;-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
On 23/11/2014 20:55, cd wrote:
The bloke that started it all! I think that was his name.
Anyone remember Barry on the telly in the early 70s with his hardboard,
Formica and Evo-Stick?

I'm amazed that no-one seems to have mentioned the big Yankee spiral
ratchet screwdriver (used with pre-drilled pilot and main holes, of
course, so everything went together incredibly quickly and easily).

Now, of course, with decent rechargable drill-drivers and twinstart
screws anyone can put stuff together just as quickly!

I still have a small real Yankee screwdriver and a large imitation one. I
used the small one last week. It gets to places a power drill cannot reach.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 09:55:22 +0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

Bare floorboards with a rectangle of carpet that stops short of all
sides by 6-12" and does not go into the alcoves.

The boards are either dry and bare, or varnished.

Which is what we had back in the 50s and 60s.

Yes, and what made it horrible back then was the un-insulated flooring
and draughts everywhere. If it comes back, at the very least the regs
will ensure some improvement in comfort.
Of course, there will be some slaves to fashion /cheapskates who just
adopt the look and think nothing of the discomfort.

Fitted carpet for me, every time. I remember the ****ty carpet squares
of the 50s and 60s and stand aghast at cheapy crappy imitation
polished wood floors, which just look nasty.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2014 19:26, charles wrote:
I still have a small real Yankee screwdriver and a large imitation one. I
used the small one last week. It gets to places a power drill cannot reach.

I have a full Yankee and a Stanley Handyman. Put a blind up with the
handyman at the weekend, and used the Yankee to assemble some flatpack
at work a few weeks ago (1)

I'll admit I did cheat and use a power drill for most of the screws!

Andy
--
Can't possibly have been a good use of the company's money to have a
bunch of engineers building their own desks

Barry Goldwater On The UN jon_banquer[_2_] Metalworking 7 September 12th 14 03:40 PM
RIP John Barry Bill Noble[_2_] Metalworking 12 July 24th 09 03:14 AM
Barry Scott Jeßus UK diy 0 March 21st 09 03:20 AM
Barry Scott John Rumm UK diy 1 March 20th 09 04:16 PM