Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default Barry Bucknall: the Father of DIY

Tim Watts wrote:

On 24/11/14 12:34, Chris J Dixon wrote:

A particular office area at work was tarted up for showcase
purposes, and the chosen flooring was vinyl chequer plate. The
noise every time someone moved a chair was amazing.

They really managed to go for form over function, and constructed
a freestanding transparent "whiteboard", as much in evidence on
TV. Nobody managed to read anything written on it, until it was
eventually shunted against a light coloured wall.

Oh dear...

The worst place I've ever been was an office in a poncy refurbished
under-the-arches place in EC London.

It looked cool.

But you could not hear yourself think let along what the bloke opposite
you was saying - the brick arch ceiling and hard mezzanine floor plus
solid ground floor bounce every little bit of sound around 100 times and
I'm pretty sure the arched ceiling acted like a parabolic reflector!

Yes indeed. The area in question was walled off from the rest of
us by shiny partitions, which made it pretty acoustically lively.

They gave it curved corners, and a partially barriered entry, all
in Perspex. The image this design evoked was such that it was
soon nicknamed "****oir"

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/32031816.jpg

The sound leakage to us on neighbouring desks was pretty
irritating, and we got to know key parts of the usual
presentation by heart.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK