Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY burial ? (weird question)

Seeing as Muslims are buried *without* a coffin, would it be allowed by
law to simply dig a 6ft hole on, say, Exmoor (with monitored permission)?
Cheap burial ;-)

BTW, I haven't got anyone in mind ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 19 November 2014 15:28:33 UTC, Bod wrote:
Seeing as Muslims are buried *without* a coffin, would it be allowed by
law to simply dig a 6ft hole on, say, Exmoor (with monitored permission)?
Cheap burial ;-)

I don;t think so due to the risk of it being dug up and the possibility of infection and contamination. I think you'd be OK with ashes although if it's a public place or area there might be restrictions.

BTW, I haven't got anyone in mind ;-)

I have
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2014 15:28, Bod wrote:
Seeing as Muslims are buried *without* a coffin, would it be allowed by
law to simply dig a 6ft hole on, say, Exmoor (with monitored permission)?
Cheap burial ;-)

BTW, I haven't got anyone in mind ;-)

How do you do a DIY burial :-)

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2014 15:38, Peter Andrews wrote:
On 19/11/2014 15:28, Bod wrote:
Seeing as Muslims are buried *without* a coffin, would it be allowed by
law to simply dig a 6ft hole on, say, Exmoor (with monitored permission)?
Cheap burial ;-)

BTW, I haven't got anyone in mind ;-)

How do you do a DIY burial :-)

Peter

You dig it before you die ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2014 15:28, Bod wrote:
Seeing as Muslims are buried *without* a coffin, would it be allowed by
law to simply dig a 6ft hole on, say, Exmoor (with monitored
permission)?
Cheap burial ;-)

BTW, I haven't got anyone in mind ;-)

How do you do a DIY burial :-)

Peter

You dig it before you die ;-)

Prepay a couple of mates £100 each to dig the hole. Not bad for a
mornings work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2014 15:28, Bod wrote:
Seeing as Muslims are buried *without* a coffin, would it be allowed by
law to simply dig a 6ft hole on, say, Exmoor (with monitored
permission)?
Cheap burial ;-)

BTW, I haven't got anyone in mind ;-)
How do you do a DIY burial :-)

Peter

You dig it before you die ;-)

Prepay a couple of mates £100 each to dig the hole. Not bad for a
mornings work.

That's not DIY, that's sub contracting. It's not the digging but the
DIY filling in that I have a problem with!

Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, November 19, 2014 3:28:33 PM UTC, Bod wrote:
Seeing as Muslims are buried *without* a coffin, would it be allowed by
law to simply dig a 6ft hole on, say, Exmoor (with monitored permission)?
Cheap burial ;-)

BTW, I haven't got anyone in mind ;-)

http://www.leedam.com/frequently-asked-questions.html

beware of devaluing your sucessors property if you get planted in the garden

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/sc...bodies-1129307
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2014 15:28, Bod wrote:
Seeing as Muslims are buried *without* a coffin, would it be
allowed by
law to simply dig a 6ft hole on, say, Exmoor (with monitored
permission)?
Cheap burial ;-)

BTW, I haven't got anyone in mind ;-)
How do you do a DIY burial :-)

Peter

You dig it before you die ;-)

Prepay a couple of mates £100 each to dig the hole. Not bad for a
mornings work.

That's not DIY, that's sub contracting. It's not the digging but the
DIY filling in that I have a problem with!

Peter

That's the difficult bit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 19 November 2014 15:28:33 UTC, Bod wrote:
Seeing as Muslims are buried *without* a coffin, would it be allowed by
law to simply dig a 6ft hole on, say, Exmoor (with monitored
permission)? Cheap burial ;-)

I don;t think so due to the risk of it being dug up and the possibility
of infection and contamination. I think you'd be OK with ashes although
if it's a public place or area there might be restrictions.

i attended a funeral a couple of years ago of a local farmer. The burial
was in some scrub woodland on the farm. Ther local authority has to give
permission, but it is quite possible.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2014 15:28, Bod wrote:
Seeing as Muslims are buried *without* a coffin, would it be
allowed by
law to simply dig a 6ft hole on, say, Exmoor (with monitored
permission)?
Cheap burial ;-)

BTW, I haven't got anyone in mind ;-)
How do you do a DIY burial :-)

Peter

You dig it before you die ;-)

Prepay a couple of mates £100 each to dig the hole. Not bad for a
mornings work.

That's not DIY, that's sub contracting. It's not the digging but the
DIY filling in that I have a problem with!

You build a frame to hold a trap-door above the hole, put all the soil
on top, climb into the hole and pull the trap-door release cord. Of
course, if you prefer to die before you are buried, you would need to
rig up the release to some sort of heart monitor.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2014 16:40, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 19 Nov 2014 15:28:31 +0000, Bod wrote:

Seeing as Muslims are buried *without* a coffin, would it be allowed by
law to simply dig a 6ft hole on, say, Exmoor (with monitored permission)?
Cheap burial ;-)

BTW, I haven't got anyone in mind ;-)

My next-door neighbour owned a few fields adjacent to their cottage.
Both he, his wife and her favourite horse are buried in one corner of
one of them, so in principle you don't have to be buried in a cemetery
of cremated. They were Jehovah's Witnesses.

More he http://tinyurl.com/lknpnkm

I don't think you need any official permission if you just want to
scatter ashes, although it might be a good idea to clear it with the
land-owner.

An interesting link, thankyou.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2014 15:28, Bod wrote:
[...]

Having just been to a funeral today, I did have to read this !!
Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2014 15:28, Bod wrote:
Seeing as Muslims are buried *without* a coffin, would it be
allowed by
law to simply dig a 6ft hole on, say, Exmoor (with monitored
permission)?
Cheap burial ;-)

BTW, I haven't got anyone in mind ;-)
How do you do a DIY burial :-)

Peter

You dig it before you die ;-)

Prepay a couple of mates £100 each to dig the hole. Not bad for a
mornings work.

That's not DIY, that's sub contracting. It's not the digging but the
DIY filling in that I have a problem with!

Peter

That's the difficult bit.

Nope.

Dig the hole in the usual way.

Jump in the hole with a decent explosive, set it
off and kill yourself and fill in the hole that way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2014 15:28, Bod wrote:
Seeing as Muslims are buried *without* a coffin, would it be
allowed by
law to simply dig a 6ft hole on, say, Exmoor (with monitored
permission)?
Cheap burial ;-)

BTW, I haven't got anyone in mind ;-)
How do you do a DIY burial :-)

Peter

You dig it before you die ;-)

Prepay a couple of mates £100 each to dig the hole. Not bad for a
mornings work.
That's not DIY, that's sub contracting. It's not the digging but the
DIY filling in that I have a problem with!

Peter

That's the difficult bit.

Nope.

Dig the hole in the usual way.

Jump in the hole with a decent explosive, set it
off and kill yourself and fill in the hole that way.

takes notes for future reference
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2014 15:28, Bod wrote:
Seeing as Muslims are buried *without* a coffin, would it be allowed by
law to simply dig a 6ft hole on, say, Exmoor (with monitored permission)?
Cheap burial ;-)

BTW, I haven't got anyone in mind ;-)

Start here

http://www.naturaldeath.org.uk/index...ge=home-burial

--
Peter Crosland

Reply address is valid
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2014 15:28, Bod wrote:
Seeing as Muslims are buried *without* a coffin, would it be allowed by
law to simply dig a 6ft hole on, say, Exmoor (with monitored
permission)?
Cheap burial ;-)

BTW, I haven't got anyone in mind ;-)
How do you do a DIY burial :-)

Peter

You dig it before you die ;-)

Prepay a couple of mates £100 each to dig the hole. Not bad for a
mornings work.

I was expecting the punch line to be "a mourning's work". :-)
--
J B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Nov 2014 15:28:31 +0000, Bod wrote:

Seeing as Muslims are buried *without* a coffin, would it be allowed by
law to simply dig a 6ft hole on, say, Exmoor (with monitored permission)?
Cheap burial ;-)

BTW, I haven't got anyone in mind ;-)

My next-door neighbour owned a few fields adjacent to their cottage.
Both he, his wife and her favourite horse are buried in one corner of
one of them, so in principle you don't have to be buried in a cemetery
of cremated. They were Jehovah's Witnesses.

More he http://tinyurl.com/lknpnkm

I don't think you need any official permission if you just want to
scatter ashes, although it might be a good idea to clear it with the
land-owner.

Different country.... but my brother wanted his ashes scattered over a wild
steppe with a view of a fjord and pine trees and all that in Norway,
preferably within the arctic circle.
We chose Tromso as the area, and had to liaise with the town bosses (not
sure what they are called there) who had to get permission from people
higher up who owned the whole area Tromso is in,

Bit of paperwork, and we had to mark on a map the exact spot we scattered
his ashes, there were restrictions on the spots we could choose... ground
water and things like that,

To scatter in one of the fjords would have been much less paperwork and
everything, and they said most people don't even ask, but it's not really a
problem over water.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Gazz wrote :
To scatter in one of the fjords would have been much less paperwork and
everything, and they said most people don't even ask, but it's not really a
problem over water.

What's wrong with 'The Great Escape' method of just filling your
trouser legs up, held back with a pull to release cord, then just
walking innocently around as the residue is scattered ?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2014 15:37, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 19 November 2014 15:28:33 UTC, Bod wrote:
Seeing as Muslims are buried *without* a coffin, would it be
allowed by law to simply dig a 6ft hole on, say, Exmoor (with
monitored permission)? Cheap burial ;-)

I don;t think so due to the risk of it being dug up and the
possibility of infection and contamination. I think you'd be OK with
ashes although if it's a public place or area there might be
restrictions.

DIY burial at sea should be easy enough ... mate with a boat and a
length of chain wrapped around body and over the side.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2014 15:37, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 19 November 2014 15:28:33 UTC, Bod wrote:
Seeing as Muslims are buried *without* a coffin, would it be
allowed by law to simply dig a 6ft hole on, say, Exmoor (with
monitored permission)? Cheap burial ;-)

I don;t think so due to the risk of it being dug up and the
possibility of infection and contamination. I think you'd be OK with
ashes although if it's a public place or area there might be
restrictions.

BTW, I haven't got anyone in mind ;-)

I have

Perhaps someone will come up with composting funerals ... that would
suit the tree-huggers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2014 19:35, rick wrote:
On 19/11/2014 15:37, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 19 November 2014 15:28:33 UTC, Bod wrote:
Seeing as Muslims are buried *without* a coffin, would it be
allowed by law to simply dig a 6ft hole on, say, Exmoor (with
monitored permission)? Cheap burial ;-)

I don;t think so due to the risk of it being dug up and the
possibility of infection and contamination. I think you'd be OK with
ashes although if it's a public place or area there might be
restrictions.

DIY burial at sea should be easy enough ... mate with a boat and a
length of chain wrapped around body and over the side.

Cheaper still, donate the whole body for research or body parts.
Free disposal and funeral free... you may even get paid for cadaver ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

they have.. in the next village: www.clandonwood.com

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 19:46:42 +0000 Bod wrote :
Cheaper still, donate the whole body for research or body parts.
Free disposal and funeral free... you may even get paid for cadaver ;-)

Hope to be around for a while yet but when I came to Oz I checked this out
- they wouldn't take me because I lived in the UK for more than six months
(CJD fears)

http://medicine.unimelb.edu.au/__dat...info_sheet.pdf

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 20:16:07 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

they have.. in the next village: www.clandonwood.com

31 acres @ 1100 quid/plot. Nice little money-spinner.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 20 November 2014 19:39:59 UTC, rick wrote:
On 19/11/2014 15:37, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 19 November 2014 15:28:33 UTC, Bod wrote:
Seeing as Muslims are buried *without* a coffin, would it be
allowed by law to simply dig a 6ft hole on, say, Exmoor (with
monitored permission)? Cheap burial ;-)

I don;t think so due to the risk of it being dug up and the
possibility of infection and contamination. I think you'd be OK with
ashes although if it's a public place or area there might be
restrictions.

BTW, I haven't got anyone in mind ;-)

I have

Perhaps someone will come up with composting funerals ... that would
suit the tree-huggers

Did I hear someone say Lasagne ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 19:35:43 +0000, rick
wrote:

DIY burial at sea should be easy enough ... mate with a boat and a
length of chain wrapped around body and over the side.

Should be stiched in a shroud, and traditionally the last stich was
put through the nose the idea being that it was a lastcheck they were
dead.

I was involved once in making a film where some bodies were buried at
Sea. The very realistic props were attached by some fishing line
which should have been strong enough to pull em back for recovery but
thin enough to be easily edited out of shot. The thinness won and
one Body started to drift away. Coast guard were previously informed
of what were doing were so were unfazed by the radio call " 1 body
recovered ,one drifting towards Gosport we'll pull it out later".
God knows what various yachts around listening on the same channel
thought.

Hmm, I wonder. Blimey it is. About 33 mins in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yDSr...PFq gCs6JlDAL

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2014 22:02, Tony Bryer wrote:

Hope to be around for a while yet but when I came to Oz I checked this out
- they wouldn't take me because I lived in the UK for more than six months
(CJD fears)

They should revise the policy since it been discovered that 99% of the
beef we've been eating was Eastern European horse meat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2014 19:39, rick wrote:

Perhaps someone will come up with composting funerals ... that would
suit the tree-huggers

Soylent Green?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 1350345 20141122 120454 wrote:

Hmm, I wonder. Blimey it is. About 33 mins in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yDSr...PFq gCs6JlDAL

Are you saying this was filmed off Gosport?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 08:50:12 GMT, Bob Martin
wrote:

in 1350345 20141122 120454 wrote:

Hmm, I wonder. Blimey it is. About 33 mins in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yDSr...PFq gCs6JlDAL

Are you saying this was filmed off Gosport?

Yes , And out towards the Nab Tower.
Brazilian production company using this vessel.
http://www.ss-shieldhall.co.uk/

Boats from local pleasure operator Blue Funnel standing by out of shot
to act as instant life boat and provide catering ,medical area etc. as
we were over our normal passenger numbers.
All procedures agreed with the Marine and Coastguard Agency.
One was a fast launch that brought juveniles out late and took them
back early as there are working hours restrictions for children ,and
it collected the dummy body on it's return.
From DIY point of view the Brazilian team turned up with 110V
equipment ,the vessel offers 230 AC or 220DC. Fortunately I had
acquired lots of tool transformers over the years which suddenly came
into their own.
The Brazilians seem to be a bit relaxed about the Term Extra,when they
asked I thought it would just be in shot to make up numbers, didn't
expect to put be in a Uniform and take part in a main scene.
None of those in the burial party are actors,we were all blokes who
are normally wielding spanners and needle guns.
The actress was lovely, spoke 5 languages but unheard of in the
English speaking world but a top heart throb in S America .When not
acting was building props with hammer and nails or wielding a
paintbrush. No diva behaviour at all. Got a crush on a younger
colleague and invited him to her ranch in Brazil ,silly bugger
chickened out.
It was a fun 10 days leave from normal work.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2014 11:27, wrote:
On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 08:50:12 GMT, Bob Martin
wrote:

in 1350345 20141122 120454
wrote:

Hmm, I wonder. Blimey it is. About 33 mins in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yDSr...PFq gCs6JlDAL

Are you saying this was filmed off Gosport?

Yes , And out towards the Nab Tower.
Brazilian production company using this vessel.
http://www.ss-shieldhall.co.uk/

Boats from local pleasure operator Blue Funnel standing by out of shot
to act as instant life boat and provide catering ,medical area etc. as
we were over our normal passenger numbers.
All procedures agreed with the Marine and Coastguard Agency.
One was a fast launch that brought juveniles out late and took them
back early as there are working hours restrictions for children ,and
it collected the dummy body on it's return.
From DIY point of view the Brazilian team turned up with 110V
[...]

But, simply, WHY? Brazil is a long way from Nab Tower and there is an
awful lot of sea nearer than the Solent. :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 11:40:42 +0000, polygonum
wrote:

Hmm, I wonder. Blimey it is. About 33 mins in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yDSr...PFq gCs6JlDAL

Are you saying this was filmed off Gosport?

Yes , And out towards the Nab Tower.

But, simply, WHY? Brazil is a long way from Nab Tower and there is an
awful lot of sea nearer than the Solent. :-)

Apparently they couldn't find a suitable oldish looking ship over
there in working order.
It's the last bit that is important,there are many old ships around
the world but anything that is running is probably committed to doing
it's everday work. There are very few which can be made available for
filming at relatively short notice. Our project is run like the more
well known preserved Railways with a volunteer crew and had a lot of
slack time so it was a case of enough crew able to take leave,get away
from the shed, missus etc and enjoy a pleasant few days doing
something different. Revenue went back into the ships funds.
Managed to a hit about the only continous 10 days sunshine that
summer,between shots heck of a lot of bottles of water were being
handed out.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 19 November 2014 15:28:33 UTC, Bod wrote:
Seeing as Muslims are buried *without* a coffin, would it be allowed by
law to simply dig a 6ft hole on, say, Exmoor (with monitored permission)?

Get hold of the Natural Death Handbook. Full of useful information on how to handle officialdom when you have a body to deal with.

I was talking to someone just recently about composting eco burials, and the idea of dropping long-lasting engraved markers in with the body - just as a hint to future police forces that it was a burial, not a concealed murder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2014 16:23, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Wednesday, 19 November 2014 15:28:33 UTC, Bod wrote:
Seeing as Muslims are buried *without* a coffin, would it be allowed by
law to simply dig a 6ft hole on, say, Exmoor (with monitored permission)?

Get hold of the Natural Death Handbook. Full of useful information on how to handle officialdom when you have a body to deal with.

I was talking to someone just recently about composting eco burials, and the idea of dropping long-lasting engraved markers in with the body - just as a hint to future police forces that it was a burial, not a concealed murder.

Ok, thanks. Interesting.