Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sending power-tool batteries through the post - How?

In message , Gazz writes

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
I don't know if anyone else has come up against this problem? I need
to return my drill batteries (Lithium polymer type to the
manufacturer for replacement under warranty but have now discovered
that no couriers will carry batteries unless you are a business
registered for this purpose! So my warranty is effectively
worthless.

Any ideas how I could get them couriered and, most importantly, with
insurance for loss, theft and damage?

Unless you really couldn't afford the loss, I'd recommend not
bothering with insurance. On average it will work out more expensive.

when lithium drill battery packs can cost over a hundred quid, i doubt
many would be willing to risk not bothering with insurance,

seems silly that couriers will accept lithium batteries when they are
in an item, but maybe you could arrange with the company for you to
send both the drill and the duff battery back, that way the couriers
will accept it as it's a tool with a battery in it and not a battery on
it's own.

Really stupid thing is we are talking about a battery designed for
rough handling, it's lithium ion cells which are clad in metal
cylinders, then packed in a thick abs case which has a battery
protection circuit built in,

i've bought lithium polymer batteries for my model planes a few times,
they are thin plastic pouches filled with the lithium goop, a wrap of
kapton tape to insulate the connector tabs, then a piece of heatshrink
tube to keep the individual cells together as a pack, no protection
circuit, usually just a couple of thick cables plus the balance taps
poking out the end (apparently the interconnector tabs are designed to
fuse if shorted, but a short can send the pack into a thermal runaway
situation before the tabs open)

yet they arrive by normal post, a padded jiffy bag and a cardboard
sleeve around the battery, and the package marked as 'modeling
accessories'

I bought a sealed lead acid 12aH battery recently. Can't remember
exactly how it was delivered but delivered it was. Also can't remember
what it said on the outside but it's not normal to spell out the
contents on a package as it would be an open invitation to thieves AKA
hard working postal staff.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bert" ] wrote in message

I bought a sealed lead acid 12aH battery recently. Can't remember exactly
how it was delivered but delivered it was. Also can't remember what it
said on the outside but it's not normal to spell out the contents on a
package as it would be an open invitation to thieves AKA hard working
postal staff.

True that,

I heard that the 'latest' thing for dodgy *******s working in the sorting
offices is to have a sheet of self adhesive labels with either their name
and address, or a friends printed on them, any packages they sort that
look to be worth something they stick one of their labels over the real
address and sort it as normal...
a day later it's delivered to their house as if that was where it was
supposed to go.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 20 August 2014 12:16:54 UTC+1, Gazz wrote:

Unless you really couldn't afford the loss, I'd recommend not bothering

with insurance. On average it will work out more expensive.

when lithium drill battery packs can cost over a hundred quid, i doubt many

would be willing to risk not bothering with insurance,

Exactly. I have three batteries worth about £300, there's no way I'm not insuring them.

seems silly that couriers will accept lithium batteries when they are in an

item, but maybe you could arrange with the company for you to send both the

drill and the duff battery back

Yes I can do that but then I've the hassle of doing it three times and the extra weight cost of the drill (and not having a drill while I do it)...arghhhhh!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/ I don't know if anyone else has come up against this problem? I need to return my drill batteries (Lithium polymer type to the manufacturer for replacement under warranty but have now discovered that no couriers will carry batteries unless you are a business registered for this purpose! So my warranty is effectively worthless./q

Care to name & shame plse? (or email is valid)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:
That would be because many people have a poor appreciation of what's
worth insuring and what isn't. Swayed by insurance companies'
advertising, I'd wager.

The overhead of courier insurance is often about 1% (1 pound insurance for
100 pound value parcel). Given that courier companies are incentivised to
throw the boxes about (the job would be quicker), the industry is very
competitive (hence corners are cut) and the staff are paid low wages (so
theft is attractive) it's a pretty small price to pay.

Unless the uninsured loss would be catastrophic, self-insurance is the
way to go. Especially in this group.

In this case, it's not just about insurance, the courier won't take them at
all. If they discover that 'dangerous goods' are being shipped, they'll
just confiscate them - never mind voiding the insurance. The risk of
confiscation is high - and there's no insurance to protect you against it.

To the OP, I think UPS will ship lithium batteries. Perhaps you can
organise shipping via one of the brokers like parcel2go which counts as a
business account.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:
Didn't you have to write "Par Avion" on it for that to happen?

Nope. Now Royal Mail send little by train, air is the only means of sending
stuff 'a bit quicker than by lorry'. So if they need to get it from the
East Midlands to Bournemouth, it might end up on a plane at some point.

Theo

PS Postal sorting 'fun':
http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/o...-postal-strike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I don't know if anyone else has come up against this problem? I need to return my drill batteries (Lithium polymer type to the manufacturer for replacement under warranty but have now discovered that no couriers will carry batteries unless you are a business registered for this purpose! So my warranty is effectively worthless.

Any ideas how I could get them couriered and, most importantly, with insurance for loss, theft and damage? /q

You looked at Collect Plus?

Jim K