Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_3_] bert[_3_] is offline

Default Sending power-tool batteries through the post - How?

In message , Gazz writes

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
I don't know if anyone else has come up against this problem? I need
to return my drill batteries (Lithium polymer type to the
manufacturer for replacement under warranty but have now discovered
that no couriers will carry batteries unless you are a business
registered for this purpose! So my warranty is effectively
worthless.

Any ideas how I could get them couriered and, most importantly, with
insurance for loss, theft and damage?

Unless you really couldn't afford the loss, I'd recommend not
bothering with insurance. On average it will work out more expensive.

when lithium drill battery packs can cost over a hundred quid, i doubt
many would be willing to risk not bothering with insurance,

seems silly that couriers will accept lithium batteries when they are
in an item, but maybe you could arrange with the company for you to
send both the drill and the duff battery back, that way the couriers
will accept it as it's a tool with a battery in it and not a battery on
it's own.

Really stupid thing is we are talking about a battery designed for
rough handling, it's lithium ion cells which are clad in metal
cylinders, then packed in a thick abs case which has a battery
protection circuit built in,

i've bought lithium polymer batteries for my model planes a few times,
they are thin plastic pouches filled with the lithium goop, a wrap of
kapton tape to insulate the connector tabs, then a piece of heatshrink
tube to keep the individual cells together as a pack, no protection
circuit, usually just a couple of thick cables plus the balance taps
poking out the end (apparently the interconnector tabs are designed to
fuse if shorted, but a short can send the pack into a thermal runaway
situation before the tabs open)

yet they arrive by normal post, a padded jiffy bag and a cardboard
sleeve around the battery, and the package marked as 'modeling
accessories'

I bought a sealed lead acid 12aH battery recently. Can't remember
exactly how it was delivered but delivered it was. Also can't remember
what it said on the outside but it's not normal to spell out the
contents on a package as it would be an open invitation to thieves AKA
hard working postal staff.
--
bert