Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sending power-tool batteries through the post - How?

I don't know if anyone else has come up against this problem? I need to return my drill batteries (Lithium polymer type to the manufacturer for replacement under warranty but have now discovered that no couriers will carry batteries unless you are a business registered for this purpose! So my warranty is effectively worthless.

Any ideas how I could get them couriered and, most importantly, with insurance for loss, theft and damage?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 03:39:21 -0700, clangers_snout wrote:

I don't know if anyone else has come up against this problem? I need to
return my drill batteries (Lithium polymer type to the manufacturer for
replacement under warranty but have now discovered that no couriers will
carry batteries unless you are a business registered for this purpose!
So my warranty is effectively worthless.

Any ideas how I could get them couriered and, most importantly, with
insurance for loss, theft and damage?

Ring the manufacturer's warranty department, and ask them to arrange the
courier.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I don't know if anyone else has come up against this problem? I need to
return my drill batteries (Lithium polymer type to the manufacturer for
replacement under warranty but have now discovered that no couriers will
carry batteries unless you are a business registered for this purpose!
So my warranty is effectively worthless.

Any ideas how I could get them couriered and, most importantly, with
insurance for loss, theft and damage?

How do they know what a package contains?

--
*Aim Low, Reach Your Goals, Avoid Disappointment *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I don't know if anyone else has come up against this problem? I need to
return my drill batteries (Lithium polymer type to the manufacturer for
replacement under warranty but have now discovered that no couriers will
carry batteries unless you are a business registered for this purpose! So
my warranty is effectively worthless.

Any ideas how I could get them couriered and, most importantly, with
insurance for loss, theft and damage?

Just lie about what is in the package.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 19/08/2014 12:58, Rod Speed wrote:

wrote in message
I don't know if anyone else has come up against this problem? I need
to return my drill batteries (Lithium polymer type to the manufacturer
for replacement under warranty but have now discovered that no
couriers will carry batteries unless you are a business registered for
this purpose! So my warranty is effectively worthless.

Any ideas how I could get them couriered and, most importantly, with
insurance for loss, theft and damage?

Just lie about what is in the package.

Be careful, apparently everything is scanned nowadays and if they find
something the complete contents are automatically destroyed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote in message
I don't know if anyone else has come up against this problem? I need
to return my drill batteries (Lithium polymer type to the manufacturer
for replacement under warranty but have now discovered that no
couriers will carry batteries unless you are a business registered for
this purpose! So my warranty is effectively worthless.

Any ideas how I could get them couriered and, most importantly, with
insurance for loss, theft and damage?

Just lie about what is in the package.

Be careful, apparently everything is scanned nowadays and if they find
something the complete contents are automatically destroyed.

Sent it by Royal Mail marked as fragile and the contents are automatically
destroyed.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I don't know if anyone else has come up against this problem? I need
to return my drill batteries (Lithium polymer type to the manufacturer
for replacement under warranty but have now discovered that no
couriers will carry batteries unless you are a business registered for
this purpose! So my warranty is effectively worthless.

Any ideas how I could get them couriered and, most importantly, with
insurance for loss, theft and damage?

Just lie about what is in the package.

Be careful, apparently everything is scanned nowadays and if they find
something the complete contents are automatically destroyed.

We just lied with a smartphone being returned
under warranty and it arrived at the suppliers fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 19 August 2014 11:39:21 UTC+1, wrote:

Thanks for the replies but you've all ignored the fact that I need to insure the parcel so I have to declare what's in it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

On Tuesday, 19 August 2014 11:39:21 UTC+1, wrote:

Thanks for the replies but you've all ignored the fact that I need to
insure the parcel so I have to declare what's in it.

So, have you tried Adrian's suggestion?
Contact the manufacturer's warranty department, and ask them to arrange the
courier.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 19 August 2014 14:01:47 UTC+1, Richard wrote:

So, have you tried Adrian's suggestion?

Contact the manufacturer's warranty department, and ask them to arrange the

courier.

I haven't but as the batteries have a lifetime warranty I know they'll make it as hard for me to get the batteries to them as they can to avoid servicing the warranty. I will try though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Tuesday, 19 August 2014 14:01:47 UTC+1, Richard wrote:

So, have you tried Adrian's suggestion?

Contact the manufacturer's warranty department, and ask them to arrange
the

courier.

I haven't but as the batteries have a lifetime warranty I know they'll
make it as hard for me to get the batteries to them as they can to avoid
servicing the warranty. I will try though.

presumably the place is too far away for you to call in person.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Tuesday, 19 August 2014 11:39:21 UTC+1, wrote:

Thanks for the replies but you've all ignored the fact that I need to
insure the parcel so I have to declare what's in it.

Send it second class. They don't get pinched.

FWIW, the costs of insuring a parcel is so high you'd think every other
one has a claim.

--
*Go the extra mile. It makes your boss look like an incompetent slacker *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
wrote:
On Tuesday, 19 August 2014 11:39:21 UTC+1, wrote:

Thanks for the replies but you've all ignored the fact that I need to
insure the parcel so I have to declare what's in it.

Send it second class. They don't get pinched.

FWIW, the costs of insuring a parcel is so high you'd think every other
one has a claim.

Only the one's that are insured get knicked.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 20:34:37 +0100, Bill Wright

On Tuesday, 19 August 2014 11:39:21 UTC+1, wrote:

Thanks for the replies but you've all ignored the fact that I need to insure the parcel so I have to declare what's in it.

So put the battery in a metal box and call it a power supply unit.

Bill

Or put it in a cardboard box and call it a battery transportation pod.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Tuesday, 19 August 2014 11:39:21 UTC+1, wrote:

Thanks for the replies but you've all ignored the fact that I need to
insure the parcel so I have to declare what's in it.

It doesn't affect the insurance to say there there is no battery in it when
there is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 03:39:21 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Any ideas how I could get them couriered and, most importantly, with insurance for loss, theft and damage?

Which country are you trying to return them to? The restriction on
carrying Lithium batteries by air is an International Air Transport
Association (IATA) one. As RM use airfreight within the UK as well as
overseas they won't carry them regardless. For road carriage the
rules are in the European Agreement concerning the International
Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road (ADR). Special provision 188
covers the packaging for shipping. Drill batteries probably come
under UN 3481 : Lithium-Ion Batteries contained in equipment or packed
with equipment and are Class 9 packaging group 2 dangerous goods. The
consignor - the person or business shipping the goods - is responsible
for classifying, marking and packaging the dangerous goods.

Carriage of Dangerous Goods and Use of Transportable Pressure
Equipment Regulations 2009 put these various rules into UK law.

Some carriers will accept dangerous goods but usually only as
restricted items under a "no liability for loss or damage" clause.
They will usually (as you have found) also only handle consignments
from contract shippers they trust.

Interlink Express seem to be willing to ship one off's but you need to
contact their local depot.
http://www.interlinkexpress.com/lithiumbatteries/

If the batteries are faulty you can of course return them to the
seller if they have a local branch. You can also require the seller
(but not the manufacturer) to collect them but many will refuse until
you take them to court.

The manufacturer is bound only by their warranty (if any). Unlike the
contract of sale a warranty has no implied terms - what it says is
what you get and no more. If the warranty requires you to ship the
batteries to the manufacturer you can try asking them to arrange
collection but, unlike the seller, they are under no obligation to do
so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Thanks Peter that link looks useful. I'm only couriering them within the Uk about 150 miles but have no way of knowing whether they'll be airborne at any time!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Didn't you have to write "Par Avion" on it for that to happen?

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:
Didn't you have to write "Par Avion" on it for that to happen?

Nope. Now Royal Mail send little by train, air is the only means of sending
stuff 'a bit quicker than by lorry'. So if they need to get it from the
East Midlands to Bournemouth, it might end up on a plane at some point.

Theo

PS Postal sorting 'fun':
http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/o...-postal-strike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 19 August 2014 15:34:26 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

label them as drill spare parts.

Then what happens if they go missing and I need to claim on the insurance? They will enquire as to exactly what the items were and knowing how insurance works will require all sorts of paperwork (receipts etc.) as proof before shelling out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Tuesday, 19 August 2014 15:34:26 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

label them as drill spare parts.

Then what happens if they go missing and I need to claim on the insurance?

The insurance will pay because they are drill spare parts.

They will enquire as to exactly what the items were and knowing how
insurance
works will require all sorts of paperwork (receipts etc.) as proof before
shelling out.

Not with a trivial courier claim.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 15:46:37 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Hang on, that is silly, you can buy batteries on ebay and not all of
those are from companies. Sounds like a bit of an excuse to me.
Brian

I bet they don't say "Batteries" on the outside when they're shipped.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Hang on, that is silly, you can buy batteries on ebay and not all of
those are from companies. Sounds like a bit of an excuse to me.
Brian

I bet they don't say "Batteries" on the outside when they're shipped.

I wonder how Pulse and Cocktails make their postal deliveries?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Hang on, that is silly, you can buy batteries on ebay and not all of
those are from companies. Sounds like a bit of an excuse to me.
Brian

I bet they don't say "Batteries" on the outside when they're shipped.

I wonder how Pulse and Cocktails make their postal deliveries?

I must lead a sheltered existence, I had to look that up.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Hang on, that is silly, you can buy batteries on ebay and not all
of those are from companies. Sounds like a bit of an excuse to me.
Brian

I bet they don't say "Batteries" on the outside when they're
shipped.

I wonder how Pulse and Cocktails make their postal deliveries?

Simple, they supply batteries inside products. Not a problem (unless
they accidentally turn on in transit, then the postman delivers with a
grin).

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Hang on, that is silly, you can buy batteries on ebay and not all of
those are from companies. Sounds like a bit of an excuse to me.
Brian

I bet they don't say "Batteries" on the outside when they're shipped.

A couple of weeks ago, I ordered a couple of small butane gas cylinders
for my partner's hair curlers and they just came through the post in a
plain Jiffy bag.

--
Colin Bignell