Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tap/hose connector thread size

Thinking bigger is better I bought the 3/4 inch outside tap from
Toolstation. Item 32002. The 3/4 refers to the bsp thread size
conecting to the backplate.

I want to use hozelock type fittings but cannot work out how to connect
to the outlet which has a male thread.
A 3/4 inch hozelock connector is too small
A 1 inch hozelock conector is too big
It does not appear to be a bsp thread as the pitch is too fine.

Is there a standard for these tap threads I should know?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
BruceB writes:

Thinking bigger is better I bought the 3/4 inch outside tap from
Toolstation. Item 32002. The 3/4 refers to the bsp thread size
conecting to the backplate.

I want to use hozelock type fittings but cannot work out how to connect
to the outlet which has a male thread.
A 3/4 inch hozelock connector is too small
A 1 inch hozelock conector is too big
It does not appear to be a bsp thread as the pitch is too fine.

Is there a standard for these tap threads I should know?

Outside taps with threaded spouts are usually 3/4" BSP (same as
appliance hose connectors).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2014 15:47, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
BruceB writes:

Thinking bigger is better I bought the 3/4 inch outside tap from
Toolstation. Item 32002. The 3/4 refers to the bsp thread size
conecting to the backplate.

I want to use hozelock type fittings but cannot work out how to connect
to the outlet which has a male thread.
A 3/4 inch hozelock connector is too small
A 1 inch hozelock conector is too big
It does not appear to be a bsp thread as the pitch is too fine.

I've never come across a tap that wasn't BSP. 14TPI.

Is there a standard for these tap threads I should know?

Outside taps with threaded spouts are usually 3/4" BSP (same as
appliance hose connectors).

I have, very rarely, come across 7/8" BSP tap threads. Tap connectors
do exist GIYF.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"BruceB" wrote in message

Thinking bigger is better I bought the 3/4 inch outside tap from
Toolstation. Item 32002. The 3/4 refers to the bsp thread size
conecting to the backplate.

I want to use hozelock type fittings but cannot work out how to connect
to the outlet which has a male thread.
A 3/4 inch hozelock connector is too small
A 1 inch hozelock conector is too big
It does not appear to be a bsp thread as the pitch is too fine.

Is there a standard for these tap threads I should know?

oh yeas, there is a standard... just every country/region has a different
standard,

i amassed about 20 different adapters and fittings for taps when i had my
motorhome, to enable me to fill up with water from almost any tap in europe,
and i still got caught out in scotland with a tap thread inbetween the
standard 3/4 and 1 inch bsp threads (used for half inch and 3/4 inch hose
respectively)

it could be that which you have now? unfortunately i dont know the thread
as i just used a universal cuff type adaptor (the ones with a jubilee clip
to hold the rubber cuff on any tap)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BruceB writes:

Thinking bigger is better I bought the 3/4 inch outside tap from
Toolstation. Item 32002. The 3/4 refers to the bsp thread size
conecting to the backplate.

I want to use hozelock type fittings but cannot work out how to connect
to the outlet which has a male thread.
A 3/4 inch hozelock connector is too small
A 1 inch hozelock conector is too big
It does not appear to be a bsp thread as the pitch is too fine.

I've never come across a tap that wasn't BSP. 14TPI...

Only in the 1/2" to 7/8" range. For 1" and above, it is 11TPI.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I wonder if it is US garden hose size?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2014 15:26, BruceB wrote:

Thinking bigger is better I bought the 3/4 inch outside tap from
Toolstation. Item 32002. The 3/4 refers to the bsp thread size
conecting to the backplate.

I would expect it to apply to the outlet connector too. There would be
little point in having a different connection there. Have you tried
screwing it into the backplate to check?

I want to use hozelock type fittings but cannot work out how to connect
to the outlet which has a male thread.
A 3/4 inch hozelock connector is too small
A 1 inch hozelock conector is too big
It does not appear to be a bsp thread as the pitch is too fine.

Is there a standard for these tap threads I should know?

Yes - BSP

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 17:54:55 +0100
Capitol wrote:

I wonder if it is US garden hose size?

..... which, I can confirm, is a bitch to try and match in the UK. I
ended up with a jubilee clip type, as mentioned earlier.
Somewhere out there, I am sure, is a neat solution.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:

I wonder if it is US garden hose size?

.... which, I can confirm, is a bitch to try and match in the UK. I
ended up with a jubilee clip type, as mentioned earlier.
Somewhere out there, I am sure, is a neat solution.

Change the tap... ;-)

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:

I wonder if it is US garden hose size?

.... which, I can confirm, is a bitch to try and match in the UK. I
ended up with a jubilee clip type, as mentioned earlier.
Somewhere out there, I am sure, is a neat solution.

Change the tap... ;-)

Tim

Ah, but it was a special decorative one, so want to keep it.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:

Tim+ wrote:

Davey wrote:

Capitol wrote:

I wonder if it is US garden hose size?

which, I can confirm, is a bitch to try and match in the UK.

Change the tap... ;-)

Ah, but it was a special decorative one, so want to keep it.

Ah, form over function, you deserve the resultant hassle :-P

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Aug 2014 12:36:43 +0100
Andy Burns wrote:

Davey wrote:

Tim+ wrote:

Davey wrote:

Capitol wrote:

I wonder if it is US garden hose size?

which, I can confirm, is a bitch to try and match in the UK.

Change the tap... ;-)

Ah, but it was a special decorative one, so want to keep it.

Ah, form over function, you deserve the resultant hassle :-P

SWMBO, and all that. Enough hassle already........don't need more!

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I recently bought a new Hozelock tap connector which had an insert that allowed it to be screwed onto a smaller tap outlet, maybe that is what you need? As my tap has the standard thread it was not needed, unfortunetly I threw it away otherwise you would have been welcome to it.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , "Nightjar
\"cpb\"@" "insert my surname here says...

On 16/08/2014 15:26, BruceB wrote:

Thinking bigger is better I bought the 3/4 inch outside tap from
Toolstation. Item 32002. The 3/4 refers to the bsp thread size
conecting to the backplate.

I would expect it to apply to the outlet connector too. There would be
little point in having a different connection there. Have you tried
screwing it into the backplate to check?

I want to use hozelock type fittings but cannot work out how to connect
to the outlet which has a male thread.
A 3/4 inch hozelock connector is too small
A 1 inch hozelock conector is too big
It does not appear to be a bsp thread as the pitch is too fine.

Is there a standard for these tap threads I should know?

Yes - BSP

The outlet is definitely bigger than 3/4" bsp and smaller than 1" bsp.
I do not believe it is a bsp thread as it is much finer - a pitch of
about 1mm rather than 2mm.
The OD of the male thread is 30.2mm
The ID of the female thread for the 3/4" hose connector fitting that
came with it is 28.5mm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Aug 2014 11:35:27 -0700 (PDT)
Tricky Dicky wrote:

I recently bought a new Hozelock tap connector which had an insert
that allowed it to be screwed onto a smaller tap outlet, maybe that
is what you need? As my tap has the standard thread it was not
needed, unfortunetly I threw it away otherwise you would have been
welcome to it.

Richard

Thanks, but the Hozelock one I also had isn't the right size for a US
thread. The clamp type one I have does fine until such time, if ever, I
find the right fitting.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2014 19:41, BruceB wrote:
[...]

I can't find anything in my thread tables that match all those. The
diameters are right for 7/8" BSP, but that should have a 1.8mm pitch.
Nothing else comes close.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:
[...]

Could it be M30 x 1.5?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2014 23:23, Capitol wrote:
[...]

That should be just under 30mm OD. 30.2mm OD is spot on for 7/8" BSP.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I have sent an email to toolstation. We will see if they can help.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have sent an email to toolstation. We will see if they can help.

Toolstation did not know, but the supplier to Toolstation is Mueller
Primaflow who said it is a G 7/8 thread, which I undersatand to mean a
BSP thread. Looks like I cannot estimate thread pitch. I'll see if I
can find something to fit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PLEASE - get a new tap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

PLEASE - get a new tap.

+1

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2014 17:23, DerbyBorn wrote:

PLEASE - get a new tap.

+1 That is not any standard thread that I can identify. The only thread
I can find with a 30.2mm OD is 7/8 BSP and that is 14TPI.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

PLEASE - get a new tap.

Ask Toolstation to stock the connector.

What is the exact tap & die size for a USA garden hose thread (it's not NH) Brent[_3_] Home Repair 38 March 10th 21 05:32 PM
Shower hose connector Roland Perry UK diy 10 December 21st 11 06:19 PM
Hose Connector Nodge UK diy 1 July 10th 09 10:35 PM
Karcher hose connector eevoob UK diy 15 February 17th 06 11:22 AM
Outside tap - hose thread John UK diy 3 January 23rd 05 06:06 PM