Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shower hose connector

I've got a shower hose which has split where it joins the head. The
other end is buried inside the bath (via a none too waterproof grommet).
The simplest repair is to get a new shower hose (and probably head) and
connect the two 11mm tubes together. I'm having difficulty finding the
right connector though. I think what I need is an 11mm version of this:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/plastic-ou...7-x-17mm/37103

Looking pretty is not a requirement, the whole installation will be
replaced next year.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2011 16:34, Roland Perry wrote:
I've got a shower hose which has split where it joins the head. The
other end is buried inside the bath (via a none too waterproof grommet).
The simplest repair is to get a new shower hose (and probably head) and
connect the two 11mm tubes together. I'm having difficulty finding the
right connector though. I think what I need is an 11mm version of this:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/plastic-ou...7-x-17mm/37103

Looking pretty is not a requirement, the whole installation will be
replaced next year.

Not a lot of pressure difference, you won't need the ridges provided you
have enough friction. So any old bit of tube which is a reasonably tight
fit. Add cable ties and/or adhesive if it slips off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 17:57:02 on Mon, 19 Dec
2011, Newshound remarked:
On 19/12/2011 16:34, Roland Perry wrote:
I've got a shower hose which has split where it joins the head. The
other end is buried inside the bath (via a none too waterproof grommet).
The simplest repair is to get a new shower hose (and probably head) and
connect the two 11mm tubes together. I'm having difficulty finding the
right connector though. I think what I need is an 11mm version of this:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/plastic-ou...7-x-17mm/37103

Looking pretty is not a requirement, the whole installation will be
replaced next year.

Not a lot of pressure difference, you won't need the ridges provided
you have enough friction. So any old bit of tube which is a reasonably
tight fit. Add cable ties and/or adhesive if it slips off.

I'm not so sure, the existing repair has failed due to larger than
expected pressure difference across the shower head. And I probably
would glue the ridges too. For other bits of tube, is here anything
standard that might work (eg normal copper piping).
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2011 18:37, Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

If the hose is 11 mm bore (ID) that rules out 10 mm or 15 mm copper.

1/4 BSP is 13 mm OD so BES part 13517 might work, especially backed up
by two jubilee clips.

http://www.bes.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Newshound
writes
[...]

10mm with an olive soldered on works well for a situation like that
(with jubilee clips) but you need to be a true diy-er to have stuff like
that in stock.

The 'other end buried inside the bath' bit is curious to me, surely the
hose must be removable and therefore replaceable somehow?
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 22:16:44 on Mon, 19 Dec 2011, fred
remarked:
The 'other end buried inside the bath' bit is curious to me, surely the
hose must be removable and therefore replaceable somehow?

It's a Jacuzzi bath, and the retractable shower cord disappears through
a grommetty thing in the rim. I don't want to take the sides off and
crawl round the back if I can help it.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2011 16:34, Roland Perry wrote:
I've got a shower hose which has split where it joins the head. The
other end is buried inside the bath (via a none too waterproof grommet).
The simplest repair is to get a new shower hose (and probably head) and
connect the two 11mm tubes together. I'm having difficulty finding the
right connector though. I think what I need is an 11mm version of this:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/plastic-ou...7-x-17mm/37103

Looking pretty is not a requirement, the whole installation will be
replaced next year.

I have this sort of thing on my Kitchen tap, it has a standard shower
hose end that connects to the tap head that pulls out, and the other end
has a smaller propitiatory connection on he end, so replacing it with
another shower hose was not an option.

If you take the shower off the end of the hose, can you pull back the
screw part like this?
www.tobybell.co.uk/images/IMG_1531.JPG

If so, on mine, it was possible to prise the metal part at the end
forward - This was shaped like a hat With a hole in the top, with the
inner water pipe pushed round the top part of the hat and then held in
place by being inserted into the hole in the end of the outer pipe -
nothing was crimped, it was all just pushed together, so I trimmed off
the inner pipe, and re-attached it to the "hat" and pushed it back in.

--
Toby...
Remove pants to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Roland Perry
writes
In message , at 22:16:44 on Mon, 19 Dec 2011, fred
remarked:
The 'other end buried inside the bath' bit is curious to me, surely the
hose must be removable and therefore replaceable somehow?

It's a Jacuzzi bath, and the retractable shower cord disappears through
a grommetty thing in the rim. I don't want to take the sides off and
crawl round the back if I can help it.

Understood.

Do you still want it to retract, so no jubilee clips?

Is it a metal concertina sheath on the hose or thick plastic one?

Just measured a 10mm olive here and it is 12mm o/d so that could be one
option, fab a joiner from 10mm + 2 x 10mm olives but only if you have
stock, 10mm isn't avail in less than silly lengths and would prob only
work on fully plastic hose.

Ah, just searched for 11mm hose joiner and got:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alloy-Hose-J.../dp/B004IYSCN6

Plenty of other hits, more if you can make do with 10mm and pinch it up.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 01:16:17 on Tue, 20 Dec 2011, fred
remarked:
The 'other end buried inside the bath' bit is curious to me, surely the
hose must be removable and therefore replaceable somehow?

It's a Jacuzzi bath, and the retractable shower cord disappears through
a grommetty thing in the rim. I don't want to take the sides off and
crawl round the back if I can help it.

Understood.

Do you still want it to retract, so no jubilee clips?

It doesn't need to retract at all, but the joint will be right next to
the shower-head so it would still retract almost all the way if ever
needed.

Is it a metal concertina sheath on the hose or thick plastic one?

They are both plastic.

Just measured a 10mm olive here and it is 12mm o/d so that could be one
option, fab a joiner from 10mm + 2 x 10mm olives but only if you have
stock, 10mm isn't avail in less than silly lengths and would prob only
work on fully plastic hose.

Ah, just searched for 11mm hose joiner and got:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alloy-Hose-J.../dp/B004IYSCN6

Plenty of other hits, more if you can make do with 10mm and pinch it
up.

Thanks.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 23:12:38 on Mon, 19 Dec
2011, Toby remarked:
If you take the shower off the end of the hose, can you pull back the
screw part like this?
www.tobybell.co.uk/images/IMG_1531.JPG

If so, on mine, it was possible to prise the metal part at the end
forward - This was shaped like a hat With a hole in the top, with the
inner water pipe pushed round the top part of the hat and then held in
place by being inserted into the hole in the end of the outer pipe -
nothing was crimped, it was all just pushed together, so I trimmed off
the inner pipe, and re-attached it to the "hat" and pushed it back in.

I hadn't thought of that, and it looks the same, maybe I'll give it a
try. The plastic tube is broken right where it enters the metal
connector, of course.
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 16:34:17 on Mon, 19 Dec
2011, Roland Perry remarked:
I think what I need is an 11mm version of this:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/plastic-ou...7-x-17mm/37103

The final answer, in the absence of any readily available pre-engineered
solution, has been to buy some 10mm aluminium tube from B&Q, which is a
sufficently snug fit inside the 11mm shower tube to work (with some
glue). B&Q also had several hose connectors of the same general form as
the Screwfix one above, but either much too big or too small.
--
Roland Perry

Quick hose connector problem [email protected] Home Repair 0 July 5th 10 06:36 PM
Hose Connector Nodge UK diy 1 July 10th 09 10:35 PM
how to attach shower hose on concealed shower.. Olly D UK diy 4 July 21st 06 10:55 AM
Karcher hose connector eevoob UK diy 15 February 17th 06 11:22 AM
Connecting Delinghi Gas Cooker to flexible (threaded) hose connector Ghazali UK diy 5 August 27th 03 04:43 PM