Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TOT Dolly Parton at Glastonbury

On 03/08/14 15:48, Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:
In article ,
Nightjar \cpb\@ insert my surname here wrote:
I watched that last night on BBC 4. Anybody know why the drummer was
surrounded by clear plastic screens? Were they expecting somebody to
shoot at him? Was it some form of acoustic screening? Was it to protect
equipment it would be difficult to run off stage with in the case of
torrential driving rain (although I would have thought a conveniently
placed tarpaulin would be better for that)?

Acoustic screens to help prevent him 'spilling' on other mics. Surprised
you haven't seen them before on TV.

I stopped watching music regularly on TV when they dropped Pan's People
from TOTP :-) Presumably then they either didn't worry so much about it
or the other mics were less sensitive to the large sound peaks that I
assume are the problem with percussion.

You'd use something more effective in
a recording studio - but those would block off the view of the
drummer. ;-)

TOTP was all mimed. I attended several of them (GF in the beeb)

Occasionally the singer sung to a backing track.

There is a Youtube video of Squeeze on TOTP. They were told they had to
mime, so they all swapped instruments. Jules Holland on drums, Tilbrook
on keyboards etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 4 August 2014 08:43:43 UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:

TOTP was all mimed. I attended several of them (GF in the beeb)

There is a Youtube video of Squeeze on TOTP. They were told they had to
mime, so they all swapped instruments. Jules Holland on drums, Tilbrook
on keyboards etc.

A noble tradition.

I believe Fairport Convention appeared "performing" a Bob Dylan song in French (you had to be there, I expect) and Ashley Hutchins played Double Bass with a Baguette. When they appeared on "The Old Grey Whistle Test" some years later, their drummer at the time, Dave Mattacks, wore a "Miming" tee shirt.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
TOTP was all mimed. I attended several of them (GF in the beeb)

You are wrong there. It changed from miming to the actual records, to
totally live, to miming to a specially recorded track, to singing live to
a backing track and any combination of the above, depending on when.

It may well have been mimed on the occasion(s) you were there.

--
*Women like silent men; they think they're listening.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar \cpb\@ insert my surname here wrote:
Acoustic screens to help prevent him 'spilling' on other mics.
Surprised you haven't seen them before on TV.

I stopped watching music regularly on TV when they dropped Pan's People
from TOTP :-) Presumably then they either didn't worry so much about it
or the other mics were less sensitive to the large sound peaks that I
assume are the problem with percussion.

I don't think an onstage drum kit on TOTP was ever live. Despite having
mics around it for 'looks'. Usually have pads over the drums so the
drummer can look like he's playing. (Backing track pre-recorded)

Depending on when exactly, vocals may have been live or mimed. Changed
over the years. Early TOPT did have a live band (Johnny Pearson) providing
the backing, but that wasn't usually featured 'in shot' so could use
normal screens. Even earlier TOTP were mimed to the actual records.

At one time a featured on stage band was part of many TV shows. Even
something like the Des O'Connor show on Thames which was basically a chat
show. It's on that sort of thing you'd see - (or not since the idea was to
make them less visible) clear plastic acoustic screens. Drums tend to be
situated at the back of a band, so spill onto the mics at the front
pointing towards them. And are more difficult to play quietly, as it were.

--
*Why isn't 11 pronounced onety one? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar \cpb\@ insert my surname here wrote:
Acoustic screens to help prevent him 'spilling' on other mics.
Surprised you haven't seen them before on TV.

I stopped watching music regularly on TV when they dropped Pan's People
from TOTP :-) Presumably then they either didn't worry so much about it
or the other mics were less sensitive to the large sound peaks that I
assume are the problem with percussion.

I don't think an onstage drum kit on TOTP was ever live. Despite having
mics around it for 'looks'. Usually have pads over the drums so the
drummer can look like he's playing. (Backing track pre-recorded)

I do recall one band with a transparent bass drum skin, which had
something like a large pillow in it. I assumed it was to modify the
sound, not to kill it entirely.

Depending on when exactly, vocals may have been live or mimed. Changed
over the years. Early TOPT did have a live band (Johnny Pearson) providing
the backing, but that wasn't usually featured 'in shot' so could use
normal screens. Even earlier TOTP were mimed to the actual records.

At one time a featured on stage band was part of many TV shows. Even
something like the Des O'Connor show on Thames which was basically a chat
show. It's on that sort of thing you'd see - (or not since the idea was to
make them less visible) clear plastic acoustic screens.

I don't recall having consciously seen them before the Dolly Parton
Glastonbury gig on TV. There they made it look like they were expecting
somebody to shoot the drummer and had given him a bulletproof enclosure.

Drums tend to be
situated at the back of a band, so spill onto the mics at the front
pointing towards them. And are more difficult to play quietly, as it were.

I have noticed that the percussion section in an orchestra tends to be
well away from the rest of the instruments.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar \cpb\@ insert my surname here wrote:
At one time a featured on stage band was part of many TV shows. Even
something like the Des O'Connor show on Thames which was basically a
chat show. It's on that sort of thing you'd see - (or not since the
idea was to make them less visible) clear plastic acoustic screens.

I don't recall having consciously seen them before the Dolly Parton
Glastonbury gig on TV. There they made it look like they were expecting
somebody to shoot the drummer and had given him a bulletproof enclosure.

I suppose it's because I was involved in the rigging of countless TV band
rigs that I'd seen such things many times before. It also interests me to
see what types of mic are used on what these days. And sometimes shake my
head. ;-)

--
*CAN VEGETARIANS EAT ANIMAL CRACKERS?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar "cpb"@" "insert my surname here wrote:

I have noticed that the percussion section in an orchestra tends to be
well away from the rest of the instruments.

Talking of orchestras, there are sometimes vertical transparent screens
positioned in front of orchestral brass players; the intention is to protect
the ears of the musicians sitting just in front of them.

In very large orchestral works, eg Berlioz Grande Messe de Morts, there's so
much brass being played (and 10 timpani players and lots else) that noise
levels inside the orchestra are very high. I've sung in such a performance,
where some people in both the orchestra and choir wore earplugs.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 3 August 2014 12:34:24 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Acoustic screens to help prevent him 'spilling' on other mics. Surprised
you haven't seen them before on TV.

There's not much live music on TV is there and even when therre is drums are not usually miced up.

You'd use something more effective in
a recording studio - but those would block off the view of the drummer. ;-)

Most would have headphones on too so the couldn't hear the racket they were making

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Acoustic screens to help prevent him 'spilling' on other mics.
Surprised you haven't seen them before on TV.

There's not much live music on TV is there and even when therre is drums
are not usually miced up.

More likely to see a fully miked kit where he's miming. ;-)

But if it is live, they will always be miked. Unless something like news
where they only send a cameraman.

I can understand the singer wanting a mic even when miming. But it's
taking the p**s when it's drums.

--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dolly Tire Flat Charlie S. Home Repair 19 July 7th 16 11:02 PM
Female T-dolly? Barry Metalworking 20 January 26th 12 10:09 PM
Need dolly ramp recommendations Todd Home Repair 13 November 29th 10 08:40 PM
Minor mod to HF trailer tongue dolly Don Foreman Metalworking 6 October 5th 10 04:38 AM
GLASTONBURY CHAIR J T Woodworking 0 December 18th 05 05:26 PM