Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Minor mod to HF trailer tongue dolly

This product came up in a thread I didn't read until tonight.
I have one, and I love it for moving my boat trailer around in close
quarters. I modified it, and modified another for my friend at the
lake, so the ball height would be about the same as the hitch on a
truck. It's an easy mod for anyone with basic welding capability, and
it saves a bunch of cranking on the tongue jack. It also solves the
problem of changing ball sizes: there's ample room for a long-shanked
ball with the mod. Photos he

http://members.goldengate.net/dforeman/tongue_dolly/

A suitable nut was welded to the underside of the cap that is then
welded atop the extension post, so the ball just screws right in and
is easily changed if necessary.

I've had no problem with the tires going flat and I did this in June
of 2005, use it every summer at the lake. If the tires on the one I
did for Ted have gone flat, he's never mentioned it. But then, he
wouldn't. He'd just reinflate them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 00:04:24 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

This product came up in a thread I didn't read until tonight.
I have one, and I love it for moving my boat trailer around in close

I bought, but haven't yet installed, a bolt-on style receiver for the
front of my truck so I can do that with MORE POWER. ar ar ar
I've used friends' Jeeps and pickups to stab boats into tiny places,
and they're really, really nice. Tongue dollies are nice for very
light objects, like drift boats on minimalist trailers, but once the
mass goes up, powered hitches are the ticket.

quarters. I modified it, and modified another for my friend at the
lake, so the ball height would be about the same as the hitch on a
truck. It's an easy mod for anyone with basic welding capability, and
it saves a bunch of cranking on the tongue jack.

Great idea. (Love that paint job on the bottom of the ball, BTW.
Weren't you one of us recent Zenniers?)

It also solves the
problem of changing ball sizes: there's ample room for a long-shanked
ball with the mod. Photos he

http://members.goldengate.net/dforeman/tongue_dolly/

A suitable nut was welded to the underside of the cap that is then
welded atop the extension post, so the ball just screws right in and
is easily changed if necessary.

Bueno.

I've had no problem with the tires going flat and I did this in June
of 2005, use it every summer at the lake. If the tires on the one I
did for Ted have gone flat, he's never mentioned it. But then, he
wouldn't. He'd just reinflate them.

My HF tires keep going flat, too. I need to get some green slime and
give it a try.

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:.

My HF tires keep going flat, too. I need to get some green slime and
give it a try.

Don't try to cheap out and scrape some out of Cliffie's cage. ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I bought, but haven't yet installed, a bolt-on style receiver for the
front of my truck so I can do that with MORE POWER. ar ar ar
I've used friends' Jeeps and pickups to stab boats into tiny places,
and they're really, really nice. Tongue dollies are nice for very
light objects, like drift boats on minimalist trailers, but once the
mass goes up, powered hitches are the ticket.

My dad built a little four wheel drive tongue wagon. its powered by a
12 volt car battery and starter motor geared WAY down. Tons 'o torque,
low low speed. he has about thrity airplane hangers he rents and is
allways moving something. At 84, this little unit makes his life much
easier.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This product came up in a thread I didn't read until tonight.
I have one, and I love it for moving my boat trailer around in close

I bought, but haven't yet installed, a bolt-on style receiver for the
front of my truck so I can do that with MORE POWER. ar ar ar

I've put front hitches on a couple of vehicles. Sometimes there just
isn't room for the length of truck + trailer. Mary's Jeep also has a
front hitch, and I think the guy she gave it to will have it at the
lake next summer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 11:02:52 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I bought, but haven't yet installed, a bolt-on style receiver for the
front of my truck so I can do that with MORE POWER. ar ar ar
I've used friends' Jeeps and pickups to stab boats into tiny places,
and they're really, really nice. Tongue dollies are nice for very
light objects, like drift boats on minimalist trailers, but once the
mass goes up, powered hitches are the ticket.

My dad built a little four wheel drive tongue wagon. its powered by a
12 volt car battery and starter motor geared WAY down. Tons 'o torque,
low low speed. he has about thrity airplane hangers he rents and is
allways moving something. At 84, this little unit makes his life much
easier.

Cool. I'll bet it's easier. Does it pull the front gear wheel onto
itself or latch on to turn the gear for direction changes?

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
-- Plutarch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Great idea. (Love that paint job on the bottom of the ball, BTW.
Weren't you one of us recent Zenniers?)

Nah, I was just covering up some of that chrome so folks wouldn't
think I was showing off or sump'n.