Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie S.

Default Dolly Tire Flat

I have a Home Depot type of dolly that has a flat tire. Tried pumping air
into the valve... couldn't get any pressure in the tire. Doesn't seem to
have any nails in it. Couldn't see any tube inside either. Reminds me of a
regular car tire.
I know it sounds silly, but I thought of bringing it down to a tire shop and
having them look at it. Or, would I be better off taking off the wheel and
buying a new wheel/tire unit?

The tire thickness and wheel build is similar to that of a regular car tire.
Get the feeling I would need a special machine to take it off and put it
back on again.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom G

"Charlie S." wrote in message
I have a Home Depot type of dolly that has a flat tire. Tried pumping air
into the valve... couldn't get any pressure in the tire. Doesn't seem to
have any nails in it. Couldn't see any tube inside either. Reminds me of
a regular car tire.
I know it sounds silly, but I thought of bringing it down to a tire shop
and having them look at it. Or, would I be better off taking off the
wheel and buying a new wheel/tire unit?

The tire thickness and wheel build is similar to that of a regular car
tire. Get the feeling I would need a special machine to take it off and
put it back on again.

If you can see that there is no tube in it, I would assume the tire is not
tight around the bead. You'll need to compress the tire by putting a band
(rope) around the circumference of the tire and tightening it until the tire
pushes out to the bead all around. Then when air is applied it should stay
in the tire until it is inflated. Of course, it you're using one of those
12v inflaters or a hand pump, you'll never get the air in fast enough to
inflate as the air will escape around the bead until it's inflated enough to
seal all around. I've found you have to check the air pressure regularly as
when it gets too low, the tire will separate from the bead and deflate.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

Charlie S. wrote:
I have a Home Depot type of dolly that has a flat tire. Tried
pumping air into the valve... couldn't get any pressure in the tire.
Doesn't seem to have any nails in it. Couldn't see any tube inside
either. Reminds me of a regular car tire.
I know it sounds silly, but I thought of bringing it down to a tire
shop and having them look at it. Or, would I be better off taking
off the wheel and buying a new wheel/tire unit?

The tire thickness and wheel build is similar to that of a regular
car tire. Get the feeling I would need a special machine to take it
off and put it back on again.

As another poster pointed out, you've got to seal the tire against the rim
before it will hold enough air to allow inflation.

There are two fixes: (1) Monitor the tire(s) every week and keep them
inflated, or (2) Find an inner tube that will fit.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

had the same problem with tubeless dolly tires going flat. Inserting a tube
is the only thing that fixed it.

"Charlie S." wrote in message
I have a Home Depot type of dolly that has a flat tire. Tried pumping air
into the valve... couldn't get any pressure in the tire. Doesn't seem to
have any nails in it. Couldn't see any tube inside either. Reminds me of
a regular car tire.
I know it sounds silly, but I thought of bringing it down to a tire shop
and having them look at it. Or, would I be better off taking off the
wheel and buying a new wheel/tire unit?

The tire thickness and wheel build is similar to that of a regular car
tire. Get the feeling I would need a special machine to take it off and
put it back on again.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy

Andy writes:
Sometimes you can bounce the tire on the pavement, or hit the tread
with the blunt side of an axe, and the sides will pop into place well
enough
to seal. If you wet it down with a hose, it will help......

Assuming you can put air in fast enough to make it tight for a
while, you
might THEN. let the air out (maintaining the seal) and use green slime.
It won't take much....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie S.

had the same problem with tubeless dolly tires going flat. Inserting a
tube
is the only thing that fixed it.

I tried getting the tire to bead against the rim with rope and bouncing.
Didn't have any luck. Without a high pressure pump is seems useless.

May try a tire place. Maybe they'll fix it cheap. Would rather go with
tubes. I noticed there are numbers inscribed on the sidewall. Maybe the
Internet or small engine repair shop will have them.

I'm curious where did you get your tubes?

I have a Home Depot type of dolly that has a flat tire. Tried pumping air
into the valve... couldn't get any pressure in the tire. Doesn't seem to
have any nails in it. Couldn't see any tube inside either. Reminds me of
a regular car tire.
I know it sounds silly, but I thought of bringing it down to a tire shop
and having them look at it. Or, would I be better off taking off the
wheel and buying a new wheel/tire unit?

The tire thickness and wheel build is similar to that of a regular car
tire. Get the feeling I would need a special machine to take it off and
put it back on again.

Posted to alt.home.repair
lee_houston

"Charlie S." wrote in message
May try a tire place. Maybe they'll fix it cheap. Would rather go with
tubes. I noticed there are numbers inscribed on the sidewall. Maybe the
Internet or small engine repair shop will have them.

I'm curious where did you get your tubes?

Discount Tire has a policy of fixing flats free. If it's not punctured,
i'll bet they'll mount it for you.

lee h

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"Charlie S." wrote in message

had the same problem with tubeless dolly tires going flat. Inserting a
tube
is the only thing that fixed it.

I tried getting the tire to bead against the rim with rope and bouncing.
Didn't have any luck. Without a high pressure pump is seems useless.

May try a tire place. Maybe they'll fix it cheap. Would rather go with
tubes. I noticed there are numbers inscribed on the sidewall. Maybe the
Internet or small engine repair shop will have them.

Look for the local tire store that does farm and industrial tires- they'll
have the tubes. 15 years ago, I paid twenty bucks to have the local place
put real (non Chinese or Romanian) tubes in my 40-dollar hand truck. It was
worth it just to watch the 250 pound tire monkey working on the tiny things.
(Had to do it all by hand-way too small for the machine.) Anyway, I haven't
had any lost air since then, and the thing often sits for months at a time,
where it used to go flat in a couple of weeks.

That hand truck was the best 40+20 bucks I ever spent- saved my ass several
times. Much better than the fold-up junk at the home center.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie inquired about his dolly tire and to this I say:
I have seen small tires at H.D. and Northern Tool that are foam filled
for hand trucks,wheel barrows and other cart type units. They are not
cheap but no air=no flat tires.
Almost any small engine/lawn mower shop can put in tubes but Northern
or another equipment store( Fleet-Farm, Tractor Supply,etc.)well sell
them cheaper and installing them ,if you have A couple of tire spoons to
pull the tire bead off the rim, isn't rocket science.

If you want to try to get the beads reseated the air compressor at
your local gas station should have enough poop to pop your beads back
on. Make sure there is no rust or dirt on the rim or tire so the tire
bead seats with out leaking. I like to paint on A soap and water
solution around the tire beads just before I fill them with air. There
is A professional tire lube called Ru-Glide but it comes in gallon cans
that you mix with water. This will last you about 10 lifetimes if you
aren't A tire repair professional or A farmer that repairs his own
tires. and I don't even buy the stuff. When I ran out of the stuff A
half dozen years ago I started using Murphys Oil Soap and water. Works
fine.
I just looked up the foam filled tires in the Northern Tool catalog
and the 4:10/3:50-4" hand truck tire lists for$24.99 (Item #
189337-1605) A set probably runs more than your dolly cost new but you
would never worry about flat tires again.
Good Luck!
H.R.

Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak

Tom wrote:
had the same problem with tubeless dolly tires going flat. Inserting a tube
is the only thing that fixed it.

Had the same problem with a wheel barrow tire that would go flat every
other week. Put silicone sealant around the bead and rim. All fixed now.
Been inflated for a year so far.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair
______?

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 15:38:37 +0000, Charlie S. broke out their crayolas and scribbled:

I have a Home Depot type of dolly that has a flat tire. Tried pumping air
into the valve... couldn't get any pressure in the tire. Doesn't seem to
have any nails in it. Couldn't see any tube inside either. Reminds me of a
regular car tire.
I know it sounds silly, but I thought of bringing it down to a tire shop and
having them look at it. Or, would I be better off taking off the wheel and
buying a new wheel/tire unit?

The tire thickness and wheel build is similar to that of a regular car tire.
Get the feeling I would need a special machine to take it off and put it
back on again.

I had the same problem with a pneumatic tire on a yard wagon that didn't
have a tube in the tire. I removed the wheel and tire from the wagon.
Removed the bead of the tire on one side of the rim and stuffed the tire
with rags (old socks, scrap rags from the goodwill thrift store) until I
was "just" able to get tire remounted on the rim. This expanded the tire
enough to almost support the wagon empty and I was able to inflate the
tire. The rags being left inside the tire won't hurt a thing. I was able
to remove and reinstall the bead of the tire with some heavy duty screw
drivers.

http://images.grizzly.com/grizzlycom...88/H/H0771.jpg
Wagon looks simular to this one.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 20:42:38 GMT, "Charlie S."
wrote:

had the same problem with tubeless dolly tires going flat. Inserting a
tube
is the only thing that fixed it.

I tried getting the tire to bead against the rim with rope and bouncing.
Didn't have any luck. Without a high pressure pump is seems useless.

You're not cinching the rope tight enough.
Posted to alt.home.repair

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...at-120575-.htm
rmloan wrote:
If all suggested solutions do not result in an inflated tire, I recommend
just replacing it. Home
Depot carries universal nonflat replacement tires for $24.99. It replaces
several different sizes
including 4.10/3.5-4 with a 5/8" axle. The kit includes multiple spacers.
I used the old
retaining washer. I have 6 tires on various equipment that continually go
flat. I plan to replace
them all over time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Charlie S., Linda wrote:
charliestam wrote:

I have a Home Depot type of dolly that has a flat tire. Tried pumping air
into the valve... couldn't get any pressure in the tire. Doesn't seem to
have any nails in it. Couldn't see any tube inside either. Reminds me of

regular car tire.
I know it sounds silly, but I thought of bringing it down to a tire shop

and
having them look at it. Or, would I be better off taking off the wheel

and
buying a new wheel/tire unit?
The tire thickness and wheel build is similar to that of a regular car

tire.
Get the feeling I would need a special machine to take it off and put it
back on again.

The rope idea just worked for me!!! I wrapped a woven flat belt-type
thing, but it was flexible enough to tighten with a tire iron. I turned
on the little portable compressor and kept tightening the woven belt. I
watched the dial and an amazing thing happened - it started to move up -
the tire was holding air!!! Thanks so much!! I hate bothering the guys
at Discount Tire, and now I don't have to!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 18, 2006 10:38:37 AM UTC-5, Charlie S. wrote:
I have a Home Depot type of dolly that has a flat tire. Tried pumping air
into the valve... couldn't get any pressure in the tire. Doesn't seem to
have any nails in it. Couldn't see any tube inside either. Reminds me of a
regular car tire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N45KcCsBYmc

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie S. View Post
May try a tire place. Maybe they'll fix it cheap. Would rather go with
tubes. I noticed there are numbers inscribed on the sidewall. Maybe the
Internet or small engine repair shop will have them.
Charlie: Look in your yellow pages phone directory under "Wheels". You will find them listed after "wheelchairs". The word "tire" implies that it's a rubber pnuematic wheel for a vehicle of some description, whereas the word "wheel" doesn't have that implication.

Phone the places listed under wheels because many of them will just specialize in chrome plated wheels for hot cars, or hubcaps. But, some of them will specialize in wheels and casters, and that includes small pneumatic tires for trailers, golf carts, and hand trucks (or as you say "dolly").

You should be able to buy a bolt together hub and a inner tube to fit your existing wheels, but the difficulty of getting your existing rubber off your existing hubs is another matter. You may end up buying new tires as well, and by that time, you're spending several times what the "dolly" cost you. You'd have been better off buying a well made hand truck right from the start, one that's made to be servicable.

Another option would be to forget about the pneumatic tires and simply buy solid wheels for the hand truck of the same axle diameter. Most well built solid wheels accept axle bearings of different sizes so that they can be made to fit different size axles, like 1/2, 5/8 or 3/4 inch diameter. With solid wheels, you never have to worry that the OTHER wheel will go flat.

I'd throw the hand truck in the back seat of your car and take it down to your local wheel shop and see what they can put together for you at a reasonable price. (I'm guessing you only paid $19.99 for the entire hand truck to start with, and so you don't want to spend anywhere near half that in fixing it, and therein lies the peril in buying cheap stuff that's not made to be servicable.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Charlie S., Curly wrote:
If tubes solve the problem... I have this problem with both my generator and
my dolly .... Then why don't they just put the frigen tubes inside the
tires!!!! Would save a lot if frustration for sure :-)))??

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...at-120575-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 6:44:04 AM UTC-5, Curly wrote:
replying to Charlie S., Curly wrote:
If tubes solve the problem... I have this problem with both my generator and
my dolly .... Then why don't they just put the frigen tubes inside the
tires!!!! Would save a lot if frustration for sure :-)))??
--

It was a real shame that 9 years ago, the cart fell on Charlie, crushed his head killing him instantly. It was a real tragedy. 8-(

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/7/2016 10:19 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 6:44:04 AM UTC-5, Curly wrote:
replying to Charlie S., Curly wrote:
If tubes solve the problem... I have this problem with both my generator and
my dolly .... Then why don't they just put the frigen tubes inside the
tires!!!! Would save a lot if frustration for sure :-)))??
--

It was a real shame that 9 years ago, the cart fell on Charlie, crushed his head killing him instantly. It was a real tragedy. 8-(

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster

That is so sat, but costly. I loaned Charlie $5 to buy a tube and the
SOB has not paid me back. Now I have to go after his estate for it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 3:58:28 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/7/2016 10:19 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 6:44:04 AM UTC-5, Curly wrote:
replying to Charlie S., Curly wrote:
If tubes solve the problem... I have this problem with both my generator and
my dolly .... Then why don't they just put the frigen tubes inside the
tires!!!! Would save a lot if frustration for sure :-)))??
--

It was a real shame that 9 years ago, the cart fell on Charlie, crushed his head killing him instantly. It was a real tragedy. 8-(

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster

That is so sat, but costly. I loaned Charlie $5 to buy a tube and the
SOB has not paid me back. Now I have to go after his estate for it.

Unfortunately, soon after the demise of poor Charlie in 2006, the trustee of his estate invested
all of the assets in synthetic CDO's. Good luck getting your $5 back now.

Does Fix a Flat work? Al Bundy Home Repair 24 August 25th 05 04:51 PM
OT.. flat tire. Robatoy Woodworking 0 February 17th 05 06:14 AM
Preventing leaks in toy balls using Fix a Flat BeyerIII Home Repair 3 April 4th 04 04:26 AM
Flat Roof Side Window Gary Holt UK diy 1 October 6th 03 07:49 PM