Al Bundy

Default Does Fix a Flat work?

It's not intended to fix anything permanently. If a person can read the
label on the can they will be aware of that fact.
It will not fix rim leaks or larger leaks. The major advantage is that
it will put a bit of air in a flat tire and perhaps enable a person to
get to a repair station. It's easy to use and a non-technical person
can use it.
On the downside it throws the tire off balance, can be flammable, and
is very messy when the tire is finally fixed.
A better idea for the person who can do so is to carry one of those
little 12V compressors to blow their tire up in an emergency. A further
step would be to learn how to plug a flat tire from the outside with a
kit.

yustr

I always carried a can on my motorcycle treks. Had to use it once. It
worked great and kept the tire full until it needed to be changed
because it wore out. I agree it's only a temp fix on a car tire.

--
yustr
yustr's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=37

User Example

I was told by a guy that he used it when he got a flat and it did not
pump up his tire completely, but got enough pressure to get to a gas
station with air. However, he said that was 6 weeks ago, and the tire
never leaked again.

While I do think the stuff will pump up a tire with a small leak, I
tend to question the permanence of the repair. I know I would have
had the tire in the shop the next day. I just can not see how this
stuff can make a permanent patch on any tire.

What is your opinion and experience?

My opinion is to always carry a spare tire and use that when you have a
flat.

I tried it once and it didn't.
However, the nail was still in the tire when I tried the fix-a-flat.

I'm guessing it might have worked for a nail puncture if the nail was
removed.

User Example

My opinion is to always carry a spare tire and use that when you have a
flat.

I have a spare tire, but it's a lot safer when pulled over on the
shoulder to quickly apply flat fix and get going, rather than start
jacking things up, struggling with stubborn lugnuts, and walking
around the car as you swap tires. It's also nicer in bad weather, or
if you are in a less than pleasant neighborhood. The spare tire is
reserved for a real "blow out" that flat fix can't handle because the
tire is split wide open or shredded.

Using the spare tire is generally not the safest option. For my
diminutive wife, it's not an option at all. I would rather she didn't
flag down some stranger to "assist" her.

Ah OK. I was wondering who the suckers were that use Fix a Flat. Now I
know.
Toller

A further
step would be to learn how to plug a flat tire from the outside with a
kit.

Didn't know that was possible. Please explain.

User Example

Ah OK. I was wondering who the suckers were that use Fix a Flat. Now I
know.

What an idiot! Flat Fix works great. Maybe someone could loan you the
5 bucks for a can.

I don't doubt that it works. I just laugh at all the people who make a
big mess out of their tires because they don't know how or are too
scared to change their tire.
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Toller wrote:
A further
step would be to learn how to plug a flat tire from the outside with a
kit.

Didn't know that was possible. Please explain.

Go to your local autoparts store. Buy a kit $5. Read instructions. I
keep a kit in my truck at all times. It amazes people :P Of course
youll need the pump too.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
http://www.rigidsoftware.com/Chess/chess.html
Percival P. Cassidy

On 08/24/05 09:09 am Red Cloudİ tossed the following ingredients into
the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Using the spare tire is generally not the safest option. For my
diminutive wife, it's not an option at all. I would rather she didn't
flag down some stranger to "assist" her.

I've read that in some European countries changing a wheel is part of
the driving test.

Perce

Percival P. Cassidy

On 08/24/05 09:37 am Red Cloudİ tossed the following ingredients into
the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

A further
step would be to learn how to plug a flat tire from the outside with a
kit.

Didn't know that was possible. Please explain.

Buy a tubeless tire plug kit. Very inexpensive. Consists of a tool
which resembles an awl with a slot in the pointy end, a couple of
cylinder shaped rubber plugs, and a tube of cement. Tread the plug
through the slot in the tool and coat it with cement. Yank out the
nail you ran over, and quickly shove the plug into the hole. The tool
is designed so that once the plug is inserted, you can work the tool
free and pull it out, leaving the plug in place. It's not a permanent
repair either. You will still need to go to a repair shop and have a
patch applied on the inside. The problems with plugs is that sometimes
they can work their way out, and sometimes they get cut in half by the
wire mesh used in layers of the tire tread.

I've read that steel-belted radials *must not be* plugged.

Perce
User Example

I've read that steel-belted radials *must not be* plugged.

You read wrong. It happens all the time.
Ulysses

"Red Cloudİ" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:22:25 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

[...]

rusty redcloud

I get a lot of flats. Just unlucky I guess. In my experience it's best NOT
to use the rasp that comes with some plug kits because it can further damage
the steel belt inside the tire. I only use the plug applicators that are
closed on the end--some have a slot cut into the end and I've never
understood why. I use a lot of rubber cement, push the plug all the way
into the tire, and back it out carefully until it is exposed and then cut it
off with a razor blade. I then add a small amount of Fix-A-Flat and drive
on it soon. I have a 12 volt compressor/tire inflater (they only cost about
$10-$12) which I use to fill the tire. I have had many plugs last the life
of the tire with this method. But I agree it is still better to have the
tire profesionally repaired.

For the most part Fix-A-Flat or whatever is really great for getting you out
of a bad spot and to a place where you can either safely put on the spare of
get your tire repaired. It's also good for bicycle tires and small wheels
that won't hold air for very long.

Ulysses

"Red Cloudİ" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:02:47 GMT, User Example
wrote:

Ah OK. I was wondering who the suckers were that use Fix a Flat. Now

know.

What an idiot! Flat Fix works great. Maybe someone could loan you the
5 bucks for a can.

I don't doubt that it works. I just laugh at all the people who make a
big mess out of their tires because they don't know how or are too
scared to change their tire.

It doesn't matter that it makes a mess. The mess can be cleaned up a
lot easier than the mess you make when you get run over by a semi on
the highway as you foolishly attempt to change a tire that could be
quickly sealed and inflated without all that danger. You are a fool. I
know how to change a tire, and have done it many times. Unlike you, I
also have a brain and the ability to do things in better ways.
Changing a tire by the side of a busy highway should only be done if
there is no other option. You sound like a Darwin candidate.

rusty redcloud

Looks like the troll caught one ;-)

No offence.

Goedjn

Using the spare tire is generally not the safest option. For my
diminutive wife, it's not an option at all. I would rather she didn't
flag down some stranger to "assist" her.

There is no reason why any adult who isn't actually crippled
shouldn't be able to change a tire on a modern car by themselves.

Percival P. Cassidy

On 08/24/05 10:46 am Red Cloudİ tossed the following ingredients into
the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Using the spare tire is generally not the safest option. For my
diminutive wife, it's not an option at all. I would rather she didn't
flag down some stranger to "assist" her.

I've read that in some European countries changing a wheel is part of
the driving test.

And????

My point was that, if in some countries one can be required to
demonstrate the ability to change a wheel in order to be allowed to
drive, it surely cannot be impossible for any adult -- even your
"diminutive wife" -- to change a wheel and thus replace one with a
punctured tire by the spare. Has she tried? If she truly was unable to
do so, were the nuts overtightened?

Perce
Edwin Pawlowski

"Goedjn" wrote in message

There is no reason why any adult who isn't actually crippled
shouldn't be able to change a tire on a modern car by themselves.

I've seen 6' guys 300# unable to get lug nuts off. **** happens, carry a
can of fix a flat.

Pounds on Wood

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message

I've read that steel-belted radials *must not be* plugged.

Perce

I've plugged them many, many times, and never had one fail. Always have
driven them until time to replace the tires. However, I only use the plugs
that are like a pipe cleaner covered with tar. I don't like the rubber plug
style. The pipe cleaner style do not need adhesive, other than the tar
saturation.

--
********
Bill Pounds

User Example

Using the spare tire is generally not the safest option. For my
diminutive wife, it's not an option at all. I would rather she didn't
flag down some stranger to "assist" her.

There is no reason why any adult who isn't actually crippled
shouldn't be able to change a tire on a modern car by themselves.

That's a just plain stupid statement that neither requires, nor
deserves specific rebuttal.

Not as stupid as you advocating that fix-a-flat should always be used
except for blow out situations.
Al Bundy

Pounds on Wood wrote:
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message

I've read that steel-belted radials *must not be* plugged.

Perce

I've plugged them many, many times, and never had one fail. Always have
driven them until time to replace the tires. However, I only use the plugs
that are like a pipe cleaner covered with tar. I don't like the rubber plug
style. The pipe cleaner style do not need adhesive, other than the tar
saturation.

Those are the regular radial tire plugs and they can be used with the
glue also. I always do use plenty of glue as it helps the plugs slide
in the hole. There are occasions where it takes more than one plug and
it can be hard to push through. As I clean the hole I decide whether a
single or multiple plug is needed. As with another poster I prefer to
use the closed loop tool so I can push through and pull back the nose
of the plug.

Stormin Mormon

You, I like. Actually, that's one of the first things I do with a vehicle,
to bust loose the lugs and grease the threads. Very wise.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:59:07 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

Back when I was a kid I bought an old beater car and drove it for a
few years. When I finally got a flat, I could not get the lugnuts
off. Fortunately the flat occurred near my home, so I was able to
walk home and get some "real tools". Even with socket on a breaker
bar with a piece of pipe over the handle, and a friend to help, we
could not get off the rusted lugnuts. We finally had to get a tow
truck to take the car to a nearby service station and they could not
get the nuts off with an impact wrench. It took a torch to finally
get them off. Ever since, the first thing I do when I get a used car
is take off all the lugnuts and grease the threads. I have an impact
wrench so that helps. Everyone should do this BEFORE they get a flat
somewhere out on the road.

Thanks for all the info about the fix-a-flat. I have never used it,
and after reading this thread, I probably never will unless it's an
absolute emergency. I have had a can for years, but I have always
changed the tire. Most of the time the tire is shot by the time I get
stopped anyhow. Those small leak flats mostly occur when the car is
parked from a nail or something. When the car is on the highway the
tire is ususlly destroyed before the car stops.

I thought I was right when I told my friend to get a his tire patched,
and thought the fix-a-flat was only temporary. I just wanted to be
sure about this. I know what the can says, but I wanted to see what
others said.

One question though. What is the gunk that has to be cleaned out of a
tire after using fix-a-flat? I mean, what is it made of? Does anyone
know?

Good day !

Stormin Mormon

I've tried the cans with the white nipple on top, which work barely if at
all.

The more expensive kind with the hose and the push button seem to work well
for me.

They contain some kind of latex product which dries after awhile. The
instruction is to drive the vehicle after inflating, so the latex is evenly
distributed. Fix and park, and the stuff hardens in one spot inside the
tire.

It's also wise to carry a little compressor. Wiser still, is to keep the
tires properly inflated, and replace tires before they go bald.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

wrote in message
Does Fix a Flat work?

I was told by a guy that he used it when he got a flat and it did not
pump up his tire completely, but got enough pressure to get to a gas
station with air. However, he said that was 6 weeks ago, and the tire
never leaked again.

While I do think the stuff will pump up a tire with a small leak, I
tend to question the permanence of the repair. I know I would have
had the tire in the shop the next day. I just can not see how this
stuff can make a permanent patch on any tire.

What is your opinion and experience?

Spud

"User Example" wrote in message
m...
Using the spare tire is generally not the safest option. For my
diminutive wife, it's not an option at all. I would rather she didn't
flag down some stranger to "assist" her.

There is no reason why any adult who isn't actually crippled
shouldn't be able to change a tire on a modern car by themselves.

Last time I used fix a flat
My daily drive is 24 miles one way on a state highway middle of no where
Heavy truck traffic in the dark and in the winter time
most area's were down to one lane made it to a intersection
pop trunk hmmm blow up mini spare or a can of fix a flat?
Then Got the same line from the min. wage tire patching Wally world jerk
when told I'd need a patch all the gunk cleaned out and rebalance

Art

Not in NC. Tires must be patched from the inside.

"User Example" wrote in message
I've read that steel-belted radials *must not be* plugged.

You read wrong. It happens all the time.

Ulysses

"Spud" wrote in message

"User Example" wrote in message
m...
Using the spare tire is generally not the safest option. For my
diminutive wife, it's not an option at all. I would rather she didn't
flag down some stranger to "assist" her.

There is no reason why any adult who isn't actually crippled
shouldn't be able to change a tire on a modern car by themselves.

Last time I used fix a flat
My daily drive is 24 miles one way on a state highway middle of no where
Heavy truck traffic in the dark and in the winter time
most area's were down to one lane made it to a intersection
pop trunk hmmm blow up mini spare or a can of fix a flat?
Then Got the same line from the min. wage tire patching Wally world jerk
when told I'd need a patch all the gunk cleaned out and rebalance

I got some tires at Pep Boys about 25 years ago and the guy complained about
the goop inside the tire but that was with the old Spare Tire In A Can
stuff. Nobody has complained in the last several years but I only go to
America's Tires now and they are a lot more professional than other places.
Heck, they will even fix a flat for free even if you didn't buy your tires
from them.