Stormin Mormon

You, I like. Actually, that's one of the first things I do with a vehicle,
to bust loose the lugs and grease the threads. Very wise.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:59:07 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

Back when I was a kid I bought an old beater car and drove it for a
few years. When I finally got a flat, I could not get the lugnuts
off. Fortunately the flat occurred near my home, so I was able to
walk home and get some "real tools". Even with socket on a breaker
bar with a piece of pipe over the handle, and a friend to help, we
could not get off the rusted lugnuts. We finally had to get a tow
truck to take the car to a nearby service station and they could not
get the nuts off with an impact wrench. It took a torch to finally
get them off. Ever since, the first thing I do when I get a used car
is take off all the lugnuts and grease the threads. I have an impact
wrench so that helps. Everyone should do this BEFORE they get a flat
somewhere out on the road.

Thanks for all the info about the fix-a-flat. I have never used it,
and after reading this thread, I probably never will unless it's an
absolute emergency. I have had a can for years, but I have always
changed the tire. Most of the time the tire is shot by the time I get
stopped anyhow. Those small leak flats mostly occur when the car is
parked from a nail or something. When the car is on the highway the
tire is ususlly destroyed before the car stops.

I thought I was right when I told my friend to get a his tire patched,
and thought the fix-a-flat was only temporary. I just wanted to be
sure about this. I know what the can says, but I wanted to see what
others said.

One question though. What is the gunk that has to be cleaned out of a
tire after using fix-a-flat? I mean, what is it made of? Does anyone
know?

Good day !