Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom G

Default Dolly Tire Flat

"Charlie S." wrote in message
news:1selg.738$V55.580@trndny01...
I have a Home Depot type of dolly that has a flat tire. Tried pumping air
into the valve... couldn't get any pressure in the tire. Doesn't seem to
have any nails in it. Couldn't see any tube inside either. Reminds me of
a regular car tire.
I know it sounds silly, but I thought of bringing it down to a tire shop
and having them look at it. Or, would I be better off taking off the
wheel and buying a new wheel/tire unit?

The tire thickness and wheel build is similar to that of a regular car
tire. Get the feeling I would need a special machine to take it off and
put it back on again.

If you can see that there is no tube in it, I would assume the tire is not
tight around the bead. You'll need to compress the tire by putting a band
(rope) around the circumference of the tire and tightening it until the tire
pushes out to the bead all around. Then when air is applied it should stay
in the tire until it is inflated. Of course, it you're using one of those
12v inflaters or a hand pump, you'll never get the air in fast enough to
inflate as the air will escape around the bead until it's inflated enough to
seal all around. I've found you have to check the air pressure regularly as
when it gets too low, the tire will separate from the bead and deflate.

Tom G.