Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default OT The lottery and apprentices

Apprentice swears blind his grand parents won the lottery 30 years ago (well
£250,000) as he spent £10 on scratch cards this morning.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
Apprentice swears blind his grand parents won the lottery 30 years ago
(well £250,000) as he spent £10 on scratch cards this morning.

And it only started in 1994 .......

How time flies
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

Apprentice swears blind his grand parents won the lottery 30 years ago

Maybe he's part foreign?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW scribbled...

Apprentice swears blind his grand parents won the lottery 30 years ago (well
£250,000) as he spent £10 on scratch cards this morning.

Irish Lottery? That's been around for well over 40 years. IIRC the
tickets used to sold under the counter in some shops.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 19:31:40 +0100, ARW wrote:

Apprentice swears blind his grand parents won the lottery 30 years ago
(well £250,000) as he spent £10 on scratch cards this morning.

Premium bonds maybe?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
Apprentice swears blind his grand parents won the lottery 30 years ago
(well £250,000) as he spent £10 on scratch cards this morning.

Ah. One of the voluntary taxpayers?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S writes:
On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 19:31:40 +0100, ARW wrote:

Apprentice swears blind his grand parents won the lottery 30 years ago
(well £250,000) as he spent £10 on scratch cards this morning.

Premium bonds maybe?

The Pools?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2014 20:43, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
R D S writes:
On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 19:31:40 +0100, ARW wrote:

Apprentice swears blind his grand parents won the lottery 30 years ago
(well £250,000) as he spent £10 on scratch cards this morning.

Premium bonds maybe?

The Pools?

That would be my guess. Not many people seem to have heard of them these
days, although they are still going.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
Apprentice swears blind his grand parents won the lottery 30 years
ago (well £250,000) as he spent £10 on scratch cards this morning.

I would have thought that he has his dates wrong as I can remember working
with a bloke who's wife had also won £250,000 on the lottery in 1996 and
IIRC, that was about two years after the lottery started.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 22:58:52 +0100, Unbeliever wrote:

Apprentice swears blind his grand parents won the lottery 30 years ago
(well £250,000) as he spent £10 on scratch cards this morning.

I would have thought that he has his dates wrong as I can remember
working with a bloke who's wife had also won £250,000 on the lottery in
1996 and IIRC, that was about two years after the lottery started.

Definitely around '94 - 20yrs ago, so - to apprentice - "before I was
born"... I was working with a bloke whose father was on a lot of the progs
when it first got started, as a "professional lottery winner". He sorted
us a "guaranteed" scheme. We paid a ****load in, and got about 20p out.
I've very rarely bought any tickets since. Mind you, one of the few times
I did, I got four numbers and won £90.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dennis@home scribbled...

On 23/07/2014 20:03, Jabba wrote:
ARW scribbled...

Apprentice swears blind his grand parents won the lottery 30 years ago (well
£250,000) as he spent £10 on scratch cards this morning.

Irish Lottery? That's been around for well over 40 years. IIRC the
tickets used to sold under the counter in some shops.

1985/1986 IIRC

Looked it up - it was the Irish Hospitals' Sweepstake which dates back
to pre war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_...%27_Sweepstake

Dunno how big the prizes were.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Was it going that long ago?
Doesn't time fly.

Does he not realise the actual odds these days?
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"ARW" wrote in message
Apprentice swears blind his grand parents won the lottery 30 years ago
(well £250,000) as he spent £10 on scratch cards this morning.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I believe the Spanish one is run by the local blind association or used to
be at any rate.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
ARW wrote:

Apprentice swears blind his grand parents won the lottery 30 years ago

Maybe he's part foreign?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S writes:
On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 19:31:40 +0100, ARW wrote:

Apprentice swears blind his grand parents won the lottery 30 years ago
(well £250,000) as he spent £10 on scratch cards this morning.

Premium bonds maybe?

The Pools?

That would be my guess. Not many people seem to have heard of them these
days, although they are still going.

When I was working for GEC in the Elstree Way building just off the A1
(recently demolished), another GEC company (GEC Traffic Automation?)
was just next to us - indeed I used to go bowling with some of them.
They had a Pools syndicate, and won. Not sure what sum they won, but
it was enough for several of them to stick up two fingers to their
management and walk out of their jobs. (Sadly, it was also the end of
our bowls team.)

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

When I was working for GEC in the Elstree Way building just off the A1
(recently demolished), another GEC company (GEC Traffic Automation?)
was just next to us - indeed I used to go bowling with some of them.
They had a Pools syndicate, and won. Not sure what sum they won, but
it was enough for several of them to stick up two fingers to their
management and walk out of their jobs. (Sadly, it was also the end of
our bowls team.)

Whilst casually browsing the shared drive, back when I was
working, I found a file entitled "Escape Plan". It was a shop
floor departmental lottery syndicate agreement, and one clause
stated that, for any win more than a specified amount, they were
all to resign.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 08:42:28 +0100, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

When I was working for GEC in the Elstree Way building just off the A1
(recently demolished), another GEC company (GEC Traffic Automation?)
was just next to us - indeed I used to go bowling with some of them.
They had a Pools syndicate, and won. Not sure what sum they won, but
it was enough for several of them to stick up two fingers to their
management and walk out of their jobs. (Sadly, it was also the end of
our bowls team.)

Whilst casually browsing the shared drive, back when I was
working, I found a file entitled "Escape Plan". It was a shop
floor departmental lottery syndicate agreement, and one clause
stated that, for any win more than a specified amount, they were
all to resign.

When the lottery started such syndicates were very common and ISTR
that some getting insurance against such an event was advised for
businesses. Even money can't actually make anything though so a
small business making something unusual which requires particular
skills in the workforce could be brought to its knees.
The biggest losers in such a scenario and it may have happened would
the odd employee who wasn't in the syndicate.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S writes:
On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 19:31:40 +0100, ARW wrote:

Apprentice swears blind his grand parents won the lottery 30 years ago
(well £250,000) as he spent £10 on scratch cards this morning.

Premium bonds maybe?

The Pools?

That would be my guess. Not many people seem to have heard of them these
days, although they are still going.

When I was working for GEC in the Elstree Way building just off the A1
(recently demolished), another GEC company (GEC Traffic Automation?)
was just next to us - indeed I used to go bowling with some of them.
They had a Pools syndicate, and won. Not sure what sum they won, but
it was enough for several of them to stick up two fingers to their
management and walk out of their jobs. (Sadly, it was also the end of
our bowls team.)

My parents bought their first house with a Pools win of IIRC £5,000.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 09:33:46 +0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

In two previous jobs I've been in a lottery syndicate. There's quite a
bit of legwork to do it properly ... you need to nominate who buys the
tickets, when subs are paid, what to do in the inevitable event that
member A didn't pay in (for whatever reason) on the winning week ...

The National Lottery provide a download pack that covers it .
As you say if a few people just bung a quid in each week without an
agreement things can get interesting. there is some circumstance where
the Inland revenue want a cut connected with inheritance tax on the
"Winners" estate if they die as the others cut will be deemed gifts.
I see some Tesco nightshift workers are the latest who probably won't
be doing many more shifts.
http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/...ail/story.html

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-07-24, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

When I was working for GEC in the Elstree Way building just off the A1
(recently demolished), another GEC company (GEC Traffic Automation?)
was just next to us - indeed I used to go bowling with some of them.
They had a Pools syndicate, and won. Not sure what sum they won, but it
was enough for several of them to stick up two fingers to their
management and walk out of their jobs. (Sadly, it was also the end of
our bowls team.)

A few jobs ago, we had a lottery syndicate. The management always used
to say they hoped we never won big, because everyone would leave. IIRC,
we never won anything (other than the occasional £10 which went back
into the pot.)

In two previous jobs I've been in a lottery syndicate. There's quite a
bit of legwork to do it properly ... you need to nominate who buys the
tickets, when subs are paid, what to do in the inevitable event that
member A didn't pay in (for whatever reason) on the winning week ...

We never won either

Is there a "template" rules set for this kind of thing?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S writes:

[...]

My mum won £25 on the premium bonds last week.

She should, on average, receive 1.30% of her investment back on winnings
every year, at current rates. Of course, it is the possibility of the £1
million jackpot that attracts most people.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

[...]

Could you repeat that again but, this time, in English, please!

It really was a case of Dilbert's thought bubble, "It sounds like
English but I can't understand a word you're saying.".
--
J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

R D S writes:
[...]

That would have bought you a newbuild 2 bedroom bungalow with gas CH in
Barnsley back in 1970. The builders did not fit the optional extra of gas CH
( that was £600 of the £5000 price) and hoped the customer might not notice
that it was not fitted.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/07/2014 20:49, ARW wrote:
"Nightjar "cpb"@" "insert my surname here wrote in message

My parents bought their first house with a Pools win of IIRC £5,000.

That would have bought you a newbuild 2 bedroom bungalow with gas CH in
Barnsley back in 1970. The builders did not fit the optional extra of
gas CH ( that was £600 of the £5000 price) and hoped the customer might
not notice that it was not fitted.

It bought a lot more in the 1950s. Looking at Zoopla, the house sold for
£1.4 million about a year ago and it is not even in a particularly nice
part of London.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Bob Martin" wrote in message
in 1324330 20140724 081633 (Andrew Gabriel)
R D S writes:
On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 19:31:40 +0100, ARW wrote:

Apprentice swears blind his grand parents won the lottery 30 years
ago
(well £250,000) as he spent £10 on scratch cards this morning.

Premium bonds maybe?

The Pools?

That would be my guess. Not many people seem to have heard of them these
days, although they are still going.

When I was working for GEC in the Elstree Way building just off the A1
(recently demolished), another GEC company (GEC Traffic Automation?)
was just next to us - indeed I used to go bowling with some of them.
They had a Pools syndicate, and won. Not sure what sum they won, but
it was enough for several of them to stick up two fingers to their
management and walk out of their jobs. (Sadly, it was also the end of
our bowls team.)

A syndicate at RAF Finningly in the early 60s won a large amount on the
pools.
The syndicate members were all posted to different stations.

One arrived at my station with a brand-new Vauxhall Cresta.

A fool and his money are soon parted:-) I got to listen to what the
apprentice would spend his 5 million on should he win that amount on the
lottery. His first priority was a quad bike and things just went downhill
from there.

--
Adam