Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default OT The lottery and apprentices

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 08:42:28 +0100, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

When I was working for GEC in the Elstree Way building just off the A1
(recently demolished), another GEC company (GEC Traffic Automation?)
was just next to us - indeed I used to go bowling with some of them.
They had a Pools syndicate, and won. Not sure what sum they won, but
it was enough for several of them to stick up two fingers to their
management and walk out of their jobs. (Sadly, it was also the end of
our bowls team.)

Whilst casually browsing the shared drive, back when I was
working, I found a file entitled "Escape Plan". It was a shop
floor departmental lottery syndicate agreement, and one clause
stated that, for any win more than a specified amount, they were
all to resign.

When the lottery started such syndicates were very common and ISTR
that some getting insurance against such an event was advised for
businesses. Even money can't actually make anything though so a
small business making something unusual which requires particular
skills in the workforce could be brought to its knees.
The biggest losers in such a scenario and it may have happened would
the odd employee who wasn't in the syndicate.

G.Harman