Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Google World Cup

Is it just me or have the Google servers collapsed under the weight of
World Cup activity? Most other things seem to be ok but even getting a
map to load takes an age. Maybe the Americans don't understand the
worldwide football fever.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 15 June 2014 14:45:46 UTC+1, stuart noble wrote:

Maybe the Americans don't understand the worldwide foolball fever.

What Americans and what fever?
Google are based in Ireland and only their secret police arm is anywhere near the USA.

I didn't know England had a match yesterday but even if I had I wouldn't have watched it as the England national team always behave like steamed puddings well past their sell by date for their first 3 or so matches and then they lose and are back home before the second round.

I can't believe I am the only realist in this country and I doubt there is such a thing as a foolball fever epidemic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
On Sunday, 15 June 2014 14:45:46 UTC+1, stuart noble wrote:

Maybe the Americans don't understand the worldwide foolball fever.

What Americans and what fever?
Google are based in Ireland and only their secret police arm is anywhere
near the USA.

I didn't know England had a match yesterday but even if I had I wouldn't
have watched it as the England national team always behave like steamed
puddings well past their sell by date for their first 3 or so matches and
then they lose and are back home before the second round.

England usually get past the first round - you're thinking of the Scots. BTW
Enland were the first team to record a scoreless draw in the World Cup
finals.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/14 15:28, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Sunday, 15 June 2014 14:45:46 UTC+1, stuart noble wrote:

Maybe the Americans don't understand the worldwide foolball fever.

What Americans and what fever? Google are based in Ireland and only
their secret police arm is anywhere near the USA.

No - Google are based in Mountain View with datacentres and offices all
over the globe, including London and Dublin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2014 15:37 ARW wrote:

England usually get past the first round - you're thinking of the Scots.
BTW Enland were the first team to record a scoreless draw in the World
Cup finals.

What little positivity there was last night was eclipsed by Phil
Neville's enthusiastic commentary...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
stuart noble writes:
Is it just me or have the Google servers collapsed under the weight of
World Cup activity? Most other things seem to be ok but even getting a
map to load takes an age. Maybe the Americans don't understand the
worldwide football fever.

More likely to be your ISP or their peering, with the extra streaming
traffic.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2014 18:48, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
stuart noble writes:
Is it just me or have the Google servers collapsed under the weight of
World Cup activity? Most other things seem to be ok but even getting a
map to load takes an age. Maybe the Americans don't understand the
worldwide football fever.

More likely to be your ISP or their peering, with the extra streaming
traffic.

Don't think so. Everything else seems to be running normally but
anything Google related is down a lot of the time. Other user accounts
and other machines the same. GMail unusable etc. It'll pass I guess