Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Individual remote switched power strip

Anybody know if something like this is available in the UK?

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MS6150

Four outlet power strip with each outlet remotely and individually
switched. All I've seen are single plugin remote sockets, or a remote
power strip where all sockets are switched together, sometimes with
an unswitched one.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 21:05:36 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Anybody know if something like this is available in the UK?

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MS6150

Four outlet power strip with each outlet remotely and individually
switched. All I've seen are single plugin remote sockets, or a remote
power strip where all sockets are switched together, sometimes with
an unswitched one.

Three remote controlled sockets is relatively simple if a bit clunky -
a Lightwave kit of 3 remote controlled sockets to be fitted to a power
strip of your choice. The only solutions for 4 outlets that I can
think of at the moment is a pair of Lightwave 2 gang socket plates and
their 4 way remote, but it is expensive and again rather bulky.
Another Lightwave solution would be to use a couple of their wireless
relays and a couple of 2 gang sockets mounted on a board.
--
rbel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
Anybody know if something like this is available in the UK?

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MS6150

Four outlet power strip with each outlet remotely and individually
switched. All I've seen are single plugin remote sockets, or a remote
power strip where all sockets are switched together, sometimes with
an unswitched one.

I made a 5-socket one from a 19" rack mounting 13A socket unit about
10 years ago. Have been in need of more remote switched sockets for
a year or so, and made a 6-socket one last weekend. I haven't made
the control line isolation unit for the second one yet (mine are wired,
not wireless). That will probably happen next weekend, but I have it
in use without that at the moment.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 22:46:38 +0100, rbel wrote:

Four outlet power strip with each outlet remotely and individually
switched.

Three remote controlled sockets is relatively simple if a bit clunky -

Very clunky. Already have some remote switched single sockets (three
for a fiver or so from Asda).

The only solutions for 4 outlets that I can think of at the moment is a
pair of Lightwave 2 gang socket plates and their 4 way remote, but it is
expensive ...

google Ouch, £70 odd quid for the two (I'm assuming the remote is
not extra as well). The Asda clunky solution suddenly has rather more
appeal. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 23:18:53 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I made a 5-socket one from a 19" rack mounting 13A socket unit about
10 years ago. Have been in need of more remote switched sockets for
a year or so, and made a 6-socket one last weekend. I haven't made
the control line isolation unit for the second one yet (mine are wired,
not wireless).

Really needs to be wireless. Making is an option, I've half toyed
with the idea of putting the guts of four plugin unit's into
something. I don't like that all that much four receivers all on when
all you need is a single 4 channel receiver.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2014 21:05, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Anybody know if something like this is available in the UK?

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MS6150

Four outlet power strip with each outlet remotely and individually
switched. All I've seen are single plugin remote sockets, or a remote
power strip where all sockets are switched together, sometimes with
an unswitched one.

Before you try too hard to find one check the power consumption of your
various components on standby. Several of mine are below 0.5W which is
the lowest that the kit I have conveniently to hand can measure.

You can buy devices with a combo of permanently on and all or nothing on
off based on learned behaviour from remotes "on" button. Consider
something like this one (mine is of a previous generation).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ecotek-Stand...CMTNX3Q DW35W

Digital TV is the only one really worth a very careful look - some of
them consume 20W continuously by default to run the TDTV decoder in case
a connected recorder wants to use it. Delve deep in settings and you can
tell it that standby means everything powered down.

Maplin sells a cheap inline power meter that will let you separate the
sheep and the goats. Most modern gear uses tiny amounts of power when it
is in standby mode and as such it is pointless to switch it off.

BTW I have bought stuff from Jaycar Oz before (weird obsolete RF
transformers and transistors that were hard to source anywhere else)
apart from the obviously long surface mail delivery time they were OK.
(you could pay extra for airmail)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LMESR4.html
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 23:18:53 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I made a 5-socket one from a 19" rack mounting 13A socket unit about
10 years ago. Have been in need of more remote switched sockets for
a year or so, and made a 6-socket one last weekend. I haven't made
the control line isolation unit for the second one yet (mine are wired,
not wireless).

Really needs to be wireless. Making is an option, I've half toyed
with the idea of putting the guts of four plugin unit's into
something. I don't like that all that much four receivers all on when
all you need is a single 4 channel receiver.

Overkill, but you could adapt one of these...

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LMESR4.html

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Really needs to be wireless.

My experience of these is not good. I find they lose their setting for
no obvious reason and need their switching channel to be reset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I know it's a while since this was posted but I only stumbled on this recently but it does seem to fit the bill.

http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page5.htm

Richard