Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Power switched off at mains but still power to sockets

Hi, first time posting on here so apologies in advance if I ramble on a
bit.

I have a fault on my mains as the fuse keeps blowing every time I
switch on power at the mains. I was told there is probably a fault on
the circuit and that to isolate the fault I would have to go from
socket to socket, taking out a red and blue wire and switching power
back on. If fuse doesn't blow then the circuit is ok up to that point.
To try this I switched off power at the mains and removed the circuit
breaker. I unscrewed the socket cover and tested the socket and there
is still power going to it. My tester is lighting up like a Christmas
tree.I would welcome any advice on this matter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony wrote:

Hi, first time posting on here so apologies in advance if I ramble on a
bit.

I have a fault on my mains as the fuse keeps blowing every time I
switch on power at the mains. I was told there is probably a fault on
the circuit and that to isolate the fault I would have to go from
socket to socket, taking out a red and BLACK wire and switching power
back on. If fuse doesn't blow then the circuit is ok up to that point.
To try this I switched off power at the mains and removed the circuit
breaker. I unscrewed the socket cover and tested the socket and there
is still power going to it. My tester is lighting up like a Christmas
tree.I would welcome any advice on this matter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony wrote:

I have a fault on my mains as the fuse keeps blowing every time I
switch on power at the mains. I was told there is probably a fault on
the circuit and that to isolate the fault I would have to go from
socket to socket, taking out a red and blue wire and switching power
back on. If fuse doesn't blow then the circuit is ok up to that point.

I switched off power at the mains and removed the circuit
breaker. I unscrewed the socket cover and tested the socket and there
is still power going to it. My tester is lighting up like a Christmas
tree.I would welcome any advice on this matter.

What sort of a tester are you using? And do you know if a previous
resident has illegally bypassed the meter, or stupidly switched his
wiring circuits somehow?

I am supposing you have not removed the cooking or lighting breakers
too. In which case why not try removing them too?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

In their most recent outburst: Tony ranted:
I don't know of the history regarding the previous resident
unfortunately.
The tester is screwdriver type that lights up. I took out all the
breakers as you suggested and there is no change. I'm getting worried
now!

you need to call either the electricity board or an electrician. asap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony wrote:

The tester is screwdriver type that lights up.

Notoriously unreliable :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony wrote:
I don't know of the history regarding the previous resident
unfortunately.
The tester is screwdriver type that lights up. I took out all the
breakers as you suggested and there is no change. I'm getting worried
now!

It sounds like you don't really know enough to be doing meaningful fault
finding.

I'd either wander round google a bit, looking for a site detailing
electrics, or pop down your local bookstore, and find a DIY book that
covers electrics.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Tony wrote:
I have a fault on my mains as the fuse keeps blowing every time I
switch on power at the mains. I was told there is probably a fault on
the circuit and that to isolate the fault I would have to go from
socket to socket, taking out a red and blue wire and switching power
back on. If fuse doesn't blow then the circuit is ok up to that point.
To try this I switched off power at the mains and removed the circuit
breaker. I unscrewed the socket cover and tested the socket and there
is still power going to it. My tester is lighting up like a Christmas
tree.I would welcome any advice on this matter.

Red and blue? Removing circuit breaker but still live?

I'd advise getting in an electrician, I'm afraid. Best to start learning
with basics before attempting more complicated stuff.

--
*I'm not your type. I'm not inflatable.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The tester is screwdriver type that lights up. I took out all the
breakers as you suggested and there is no change. I'm getting worried
now!

Throw the tester away. They are dangerous and useless. They give false
positives and false negatives with equal abandon.

I'm afraid this is one of those cases where you have insufficient test
equipment and experience to safely conduct the tests required. I would
recommend finding an electrician and commissioning a "Periodic Test Report".

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony wrote:
Hi, first time posting on here so apologies in advance if I ramble on a
bit.

I have a fault on my mains as the fuse keeps blowing every time I
switch on power at the mains. I was told there is probably a fault on
the circuit and that to isolate the fault I would have to go from
socket to socket, taking out a red and blue wire and switching power
back on. If fuse doesn't blow then the circuit is ok up to that point.
To try this I switched off power at the mains and removed the circuit
breaker. I unscrewed the socket cover and tested the socket and there
is still power going to it. My tester is lighting up like a Christmas
tree.I would welcome any advice on this matter.

Neon tester?

That can light up in the presence of a long piece of wire near a radio
station, or alien invasion.

Get an electricain in..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Red and blue? Removing circuit breaker but still live?

Yeah I know! Sorry, red & black. Just had a dizzy moment and couldn't
figure out how to edit my post :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony wrote:

Red and blue? Removing circuit breaker but still live?

Yeah I know! Sorry, red & black. Just had a dizzy moment and couldn't
figure out how to edit my post :-)

Seeing as the ring should be a ring then I don't see how removing wires
from a single socket would isolate it anyway.

Did you unplug all of your appliances?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Nov 2006 02:52:54 -0800, Tony wrote:

I don't know of the history regarding the previous resident
unfortunately.
The tester is screwdriver type that lights up. I took out all the
breakers as you suggested and there is no change. I'm getting worried
now!

You can't csrry out meaningful tests and checks using only a neon
screwdriver-tester. You should also be using at least a test lamp or meter
as well.

On the face of it, you may have reverse polarity on one or more circuits,
combined possibly with an earth fault. There could even be a (remote)
chance of neutral inversion.

Not wishing to appear rude, but you don't seem too happy or confident to do
a meaningful fault location, so call in an electrician SAP, before it's too
late.....

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Did you unplug all of your appliances?

Yes, all appliances stitched off. Nothing plugged into sockets and
sockets switched off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tony" wrote in
ups.com:

Hi, first time posting on here so apologies in advance if I ramble on a
bit.

"What I tell you three time is true"

Hunting of the Snark - and all politicians!

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Nov 2006 01:51:22 -0800 someone who may be "Tony"
wrote this:-

I have a fault on my mains as the fuse keeps blowing every time I
switch on power at the mains.

Which fuse are you talking about? Presumably one that protects a
socket outlet circuit.

I was told there is probably a fault on
the circuit and that to isolate the fault I would have to go from
socket to socket, taking out a red and blue wire and switching power
back on.

Unless it is a radial circuit this will tell you nothing.

To try this I switched off power at the mains and removed the circuit
breaker. I unscrewed the socket cover and tested the socket and there
is still power going to it.

If the fuse blows when everything is unplugged from the circuit, or
switched off in the case of fixed equipment, then there is a fault
with the circuit.

As others have said, you don't appear to have the necessary skills
to test the circuit effectively and safely. Time to find someone who
does.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:
The tester is screwdriver type that lights up. I took out all the
breakers as you suggested and there is no change. I'm getting worried
now!

Throw the tester away. They are dangerous and useless. They give false
positives and false negatives with equal abandon.

I'm afraid this is one of those cases where you have insufficient test
equipment and experience to safely conduct the tests required. I would
recommend finding an electrician and commissioning a "Periodic Test
Report".

Completely agree. Do what Christain suggests before you kill yourself or
burn the house down.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm getting a spark in to have a look at it, thanks to everybody for
the advice :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You can't csrry out meaningful tests and checks using only a neon
screwdriver-tester. You should also be using at least a test lamp or meter
as well.

On the face of it, you may have reverse polarity on one or more circuits,
combined possibly with an earth fault. There could even be a (remote)
chance of neutral inversion.

Not wishing to appear rude, but you don't seem too happy or confident to do
a meaningful fault location, so call in an electrician SAP, before it's too
late.....

Yeah I know, I have very little knowledge in this department. Had an
electrician in last week regarding the fuse blowing but he said he
didn't have the time to check the circuit and suggested testing it
myself using the method I mentioned above.
The neon tester may be unreliable but it probably saved me from
getting a shock. Without it I would have taken out the wires with a
current running through them. Supposedly he is a qualified electrician
but I doubt that a professional would have given me the above advice.
Bloody cowboys, you just can't trust anyone nowadays :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony wrote:

Yeah I know, I have very little knowledge in this department. Had an
electrician in last week regarding the fuse blowing but he said he
didn't have the time to check the circuit and suggested testing it
myself using the method I mentioned above.
The neon tester may be unreliable but it probably saved me from
getting a shock. Without it I would have taken out the wires with a
current running through them. Supposedly he is a qualified electrician
but I doubt that a professional would have given me the above advice.
Bloody cowboys, you just can't trust anyone nowadays :-(

whoever gave you the advice about taking socket wires out didnt have a
clue what he was talking about.

If you tell us what the test results are, we may be able t help
distinguish the non issues from the real problems, and save you several
hundred.

NT