Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Cherry picker, but pole, not platform!

I've tried Googling, but "cherry picker" only finds hits for the
elevated platform style. What I want is a pole with a cutting device
and a little sack underneath to catch the cherries, as they'll soon be
ready to pick.

Or could I make one somehow, maybe using a tree lopper, which I have
already, on a long pole.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Panic over. I found this!

http://www.instructables.com/id/BERRY-PICKER/

What a clever idea.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
I've tried Googling, but "cherry picker" only finds hits for the
elevated platform style. What I want is a pole with a cutting device
and a little sack underneath to catch the cherries, as they'll soon be
ready to pick.

Or could I make one somehow, maybe using a tree lopper, which I have
already, on a long pole.

MM

This kind of thing?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...Q1GS7T0K17DF79

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Apple picker?
I used to have one of those. Much as you describe, though latterly I found
I could not see well enough to use it and it went some years back. I'm sure
they had a trade name, but it eludes me at the moment

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"MM" wrote in message
I've tried Googling, but "cherry picker" only finds hits for the
elevated platform style. What I want is a pole with a cutting device
and a little sack underneath to catch the cherries, as they'll soon be
ready to pick.

Or could I make one somehow, maybe using a tree lopper, which I have
already, on a long pole.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MM wrote:
I've tried Googling, but "cherry picker" only finds hits for the
elevated platform style. What I want is a pole with a cutting device
and a little sack underneath to catch the cherries, as they'll soon be
ready to pick.

Or could I make one somehow, maybe using a tree lopper, which I have
already, on a long pole.

Not cheap but...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003ZT7W2M/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 04:39:06 +0100, MM wrote:

Panic over. I found this!

http://www.instructables.com/id/BERRY-PICKER/

What a clever idea.

Yeah, we have currant bushes and picking is fiddly. This appears to
have the potential to make things much less fiddly. Also a couple of
gooseberry bushes, they are just painfull, this could keep the bush
at arms length. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 04:46:33 +0100, Tim+
wrote:

MM wrote:
I've tried Googling, but "cherry picker" only finds hits for the
elevated platform style. What I want is a pole with a cutting device
and a little sack underneath to catch the cherries, as they'll soon be
ready to pick.

Or could I make one somehow, maybe using a tree lopper, which I have
already, on a long pole.

MM

This kind of thing?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...Q1GS7T0K17DF79

Tim

Sadly, no. I saw that too, but it's for apples, and probably pears,
but no good for cherries.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Yeah, we have currant bushes and picking is fiddly. This appears to
have the potential to make things much less fiddly. Also a couple of
gooseberry bushes, they are just painfull, this could keep the bush
at arms length. B-)

It is a while since I had any, but IIRC the suggested technique
for currants is to pick bunches and then, whilst sitting
comfortably, comb through them with a fork to remove the berries.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 08:42:41 +0000 (UTC),
(D.M.Chapman) wrote:

In article ,
MM wrote:
I've tried Googling, but "cherry picker" only finds hits for the
elevated platform style. What I want is a pole with a cutting device
and a little sack underneath to catch the cherries, as they'll soon be
ready to pick.

Or could I make one somehow, maybe using a tree lopper, which I have
already, on a long pole.

Not cheap but...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003ZT7W2M/

Ah, yes, as you say, not cheap, but is just the kind of tool I was
envisaging -- until I found the Instructables (see my earlier reply in
the thread).

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2014 10:23, MM wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 08:42:41 +0000 (UTC),
(D.M.Chapman) wrote:

In article ,
MM wrote:
I've tried Googling, but "cherry picker" only finds hits for the
elevated platform style. What I want is a pole with a cutting device
and a little sack underneath to catch the cherries, as they'll soon be
ready to pick.

Or could I make one somehow, maybe using a tree lopper, which I have
already, on a long pole.

Not cheap but...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003ZT7W2M/

Ah, yes, as you say, not cheap, but is just the kind of tool I was
envisaging -- until I found the Instructables (see my earlier reply in
the thread).

MM

Do outdoor cherries ripen in your neck of the woods? They don't seem to
here in SE, not unless we have a flaming June

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 10:40:05 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

On 10/06/2014 10:23, MM wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 08:42:41 +0000 (UTC),
(D.M.Chapman) wrote:

In article ,
MM wrote:
I've tried Googling, but "cherry picker" only finds hits for the
elevated platform style. What I want is a pole with a cutting device
and a little sack underneath to catch the cherries, as they'll soon be
ready to pick.

Or could I make one somehow, maybe using a tree lopper, which I have
already, on a long pole.

Not cheap but...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003ZT7W2M/

Ah, yes, as you say, not cheap, but is just the kind of tool I was
envisaging -- until I found the Instructables (see my earlier reply in
the thread).

MM

Do outdoor cherries ripen in your neck of the woods? They don't seem to
here in SE, not unless we have a flaming June

Mine do! In south Lincolnshire, that is. I planted the tree (£7.99
from Aldi) about 7 years ago and for three years now I've had had an
abundant crop or really sweet, plump cherries. Biggest problem is
keeping the ruddy blackbirds off them.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , MM
writes
for three years now I've had had an abundant crop or really sweet,
plump cherries. Biggest problem is keeping the ruddy blackbirds off
them.

Yes. I have a large tree just outside my window here and every year we
see a huge crop ripening, then they are gone.
The neighbour complains about the constant, loud fluttering noises as
the crop disappears, and then about what drops all over his car.

Any advice gratefully received. It's a full sized tree, with masses of
green cherries level with the bedroom windows at the moment.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2014 17:30, Bill wrote:
In message , MM
writes
for three years now I've had had an abundant crop or really sweet,
plump cherries. Biggest problem is keeping the ruddy blackbirds off them.

Yes. I have a large tree just outside my window here and every year we
see a huge crop ripening, then they are gone.
The neighbour complains about the constant, loud fluttering noises as
the crop disappears, and then about what drops all over his car.

Any advice gratefully received. It's a full sized tree, with masses of
green cherries level with the bedroom windows at the moment.

Net over the tree.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2014 04:39, MM wrote:
Panic over. I found this!

http://www.instructables.com/id/BERRY-PICKER/

What a clever idea.

MM

Certainly is a good idea: I wish I'd seen that before I lost nearly all
the apples on our tree last year and decided to give it a hard trim back
to make them more accessible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 17:30:43 +0100, Bill wrote:

In message , MM
writes
for three years now I've had had an abundant crop or really sweet,
plump cherries. Biggest problem is keeping the ruddy blackbirds off
them.

Yes. I have a large tree just outside my window here and every year we
see a huge crop ripening, then they are gone.
The neighbour complains about the constant, loud fluttering noises as
the crop disappears, and then about what drops all over his car.

Any advice gratefully received. It's a full sized tree, with masses of
green cherries level with the bedroom windows at the moment.

I've tried tying old CD-ROMs to the tree. Also tried toy windmills I
saw in Lidl. You stick 'em in the ground close to the tree. Might have
frightened some of the bird maruders off. But I get so many cherries
from a relatively small tree that there are enough for me and some
left over for the neighbours. It's just annoying, though, to discover
a perfect specimen under a leaf, then find it's been attacked by a
bird or a wasp.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article , stuart noble
wrote:

Do outdoor cherries ripen in your neck of the woods? They
don't seem to here in SE, not unless we have a flaming
June

Well I'm in the SW (France that is) and mine aren't ripe
yet, but those in a friend's garden 3 Km away were finished
2 weeks ago

John

--
John Mulrooney

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke