Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default magnetic picker upper

I've just dropped a whole load of screws....
has anyone invented a magnetic picker upper
perhaps with a battery and a switch
and a probe i can stick in a tight corner
and pick up the screws with it
then flick the switch
and drop them off???

or just use an old speaker magnet?

--

[george]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George \(dicegeorge\) ("George \(dicegeorge\)"
) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

I've just dropped a whole load of screws.... has anyone invented a
magnetic picker upper perhaps with a battery and a switch
and a probe i can stick in a tight corner and pick up the screws with it
then flick the switch and drop them off???

Yes. You just have. Now all you have to do is build and market it, and
you'll be rich. Congratulations.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

but i want a screw now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
George \(dicegeorge\) ("George \(dicegeorge\)"
) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

I've just dropped a whole load of screws.... has anyone invented a
magnetic picker upper perhaps with a battery and a switch
and a probe i can stick in a tight corner and pick up the screws with it
then flick the switch and drop them off???

Yes. You just have. Now all you have to do is build and market it, and
you'll be rich. Congratulations.

No he won't,what about brass screws?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
George \(dicegeorge\) ("George \(dicegeorge\)"
) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

I've just dropped a whole load of screws.... has anyone invented a
magnetic picker upper perhaps with a battery and a switch
and a probe i can stick in a tight corner and pick up the screws
with it then flick the switch and drop them off???

Yes. You just have. Now all you have to do is build and market it,
and you'll be rich. Congratulations.

No he won't,what about brass screws?

Duh! Brass magnet obviously. ;-)

TIm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George (dicegeorge) wrote:
but i want a screw now!

--

Wait until later tonight :-) concentrate on picking-up what you've dropped.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George (dicegeorge)" wrote in message
I've just dropped a whole load of screws....
has anyone invented a magnetic picker upper
perhaps with a battery and a switch
and a probe i can stick in a tight corner
and pick up the screws with it
then flick the switch
and drop them off???

or just use an old speaker magnet?

Well I wouldn't be without my magnetic picker upper, basically just a
telescopic car aerial with a magnet on the end. Have a long grabby picker
upper as well for non magnetic stuff. Why don't you just buy one! £3.55 from
Toolstation - with mirror!

http://www.toolstation.com/?r=f&feature=63387

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

--

[george]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Jan, 15:56, "Bob Mannix" wrote:
"George (dicegeorge)" wrote in message

I've just dropped a whole load of screws....
has anyone invented a magnetic picker upper
perhaps with a battery and a switch
and a probe i can stick in a tight corner
and pick up the screws with it
then flick the switch
and drop them off???

or just use an old speaker magnet?

Well I wouldn't be without my magnetic picker upper, basically just a
telescopic car aerial with a magnet on the end. Have a long grabby picker
upper as well for non magnetic stuff. Why don't you just buy one! £3.55 from
Toolstation - with mirror!

http://www.toolstation.com/?r=f&feature=63387

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

--

[george]- Hide quoted text -

My screwdriver from B&Q has one built under the recess for inserting
the bits.
It's great!

Mark.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George (dicegeorge) wrote:
I've just dropped a whole load of screws....
has anyone invented a magnetic picker upper
perhaps with a battery and a switch
and a probe i can stick in a tight corner
and pick up the screws with it
then flick the switch
and drop them off???

or just use an old speaker magnet?

In a polythene bag. Drag over floor until bag is covered with screws,
then turn bag inside-out and remove magnet.

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
George wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
George \(dicegeorge\) ("George \(dicegeorge\)"
) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

I've just dropped a whole load of screws.... has anyone invented a
magnetic picker upper perhaps with a battery and a switch
and a probe i can stick in a tight corner and pick up the screws
with it then flick the switch and drop them off???

Yes. You just have. Now all you have to do is build and market it,
and you'll be rich. Congratulations.

No he won't,what about brass screws?

Duh! Brass magnet obviously. ;-)

TIm

Child's play putty on a stick. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 15:56:13 UTC, "Bob Mannix"
wrote:

"George (dicegeorge)" wrote in message
I've just dropped a whole load of screws....
has anyone invented a magnetic picker upper
perhaps with a battery and a switch
and a probe i can stick in a tight corner
and pick up the screws with it
then flick the switch
and drop them off???

or just use an old speaker magnet?

Well I wouldn't be without my magnetic picker upper, basically just a
telescopic car aerial with a magnet on the end. Have a long grabby picker
upper as well for non magnetic stuff. Why don't you just buy one! £3.55 from
Toolstation - with mirror!

http://www.toolstation.com/?r=f&feature=63387

Nah. Go to http://www.pc.co.uk

and get TL10292 (with built in LED)
or TL00945 (with built in ball point pen)

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 15:10:16 -0000, "George \(dicegeorge\)"
wrote:

or just use an old speaker magnet?

Plastic bag over it.

Pick up screws, pull on bag, screws off.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

and the screws are in the bag!
fantastic!

[g]

Plastic bag over it.

Pick up screws, pull on bag, screws off.

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George (dicegeorge)" wrote in message
I've just dropped a whole load of screws....
has anyone invented a magnetic picker upper
perhaps with a battery and a switch
and a probe i can stick in a tight corner
and pick up the screws with it
then flick the switch
and drop them off???

or just use an old speaker magnet?

The voice coil magnets from a big old hard disk, the bigger and older the
better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Jan, 15:10, "George \(dicegeorge\)"
wrote:

or just use an old speaker magnet?

Wrap it in a strong plastic bag first (Ziplocks are thicker than most,
and easily sealed).

Dead microwaves are another good source of magnets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Ian White
scribeth thus
George (dicegeorge) wrote:
I've just dropped a whole load of screws....
has anyone invented a magnetic picker upper
perhaps with a battery and a switch
and a probe i can stick in a tight corner
and pick up the screws with it
then flick the switch
and drop them off???

or just use an old speaker magnet?

In a polythene bag. Drag over floor until bag is covered with screws,
then turn bag inside-out and remove magnet.

Try the magnets inside an old hard drive .. their good for this...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 16:25:31 +0000, Ian White wrote:

In a polythene bag. Drag over floor until bag is covered with screws,
then turn bag inside-out and remove magnet.

And if you've forgotten the bag, and the gap in the magnet filled with iron
filings, hot-melt will clean it up: bit of hot-melt glue on the gap, let cool,
peel off. Good for cleaning files, the serrations in plier jaws etc. also as
well.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , says...
In a polythene bag. Drag over floor until bag is covered with screws,
then turn bag inside-out and remove magnet.

Or if you want to do it industrially...

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...agnetic-floor-
sweeper/path/parts-washers-blast-cabinets

You can get hand-held ones, too.
--
Skipweasel.
Never knowingly understood.