Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default unfamiliar network cable

I need to reterminate a new network cable, but its not one I'm familiar with. It has 8P8C connectors, but they're metal lined. The cable is 7mm OD, each twisted pair is foil screened and kept separated from its neighburs by a central x shaped plastic strip.

What is this cable?
What are the necessary plugs called?
Can I use my cat5 crimping tool? I suspect not - if not is there a way to crimp just one plug without a new tool?

cheers, NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I need to reterminate a new network cable, but its not one I'm familiar
with. It has 8P8C connectors, but they're metal lined. The cable is 7mm
OD, each twisted pair is foil screened and kept separated from its
neighburs by a central x shaped plastic strip.

What is this cable?

STP - shielded twisted pair.

What are the necessary plugs called?

Errr... STP plugs? I assume they have a proper name but some combination
of STP with rj45 or 8P8C should find a supplier. Small quantities probably
best from ebay unless you have an order elsewhere to tag them onto

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300938399871

for example

Can I use my cat5 crimping tool? I suspect not - if not is there a way
to crimp just one plug without a new tool?

Hmm... Not sure about that. Never terminated them - only ever bought them
in (or they came with a server).

Many Sun servers of the V-series vintage shipped with them for use as
serial console leads IIRC. We certainly had loads kicking around. Also
they were spec'd for UPS EPO cabling I think - I assume to help make sure
electrical noise couldn't power down the datacentre :-)

Unless it's in a noisy location, you can probaly ignore it and terminate
normally tbh...

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, June 5, 2014 6:36:34 AM UTC+1, D.M.Chapman wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
[...]

I'm not too worried about screening, the issue is cable size. All the plugs I've seen online have no mention of what cable size they're for.

The seller called it cat6 FTP shielded. Is 7mm OD standard for cat6? If so perhaps I could get RJ45s described as for cat6.

I expect I can push the pins etc in with pliers for just the one plug, if it doesnt fit the tool.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 8 Jun 2014 15:05:19 +0100, Bill
wrote:

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sat, 7 Jun 2014 15:47:30 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

The bit I dont expect to fit the tool is the cordgrip, as the cable is
7mm not 5mm. But we'll see.

Ah, yes like you say if that is a problem pliers and small bit of
something to push the latch down shuld work or the flat blades
screwdriver.

Having said that the individual OBS commentary boxes used on the
Olympics connected back to the main rack over screened Cat5. The
supplied cable was pretty heavy duty, of the order of 7 mm dia. The
plugs didn't appear to be significantly different in the cable grip
area. It wasn't until we had run in and terminated all these cables
that we found a bag full of tiny plastic wire spreaders for the
plugs.

Don't you just hate it when that happens :-)

It reminds me of the "Grow your own Venus Flytrap" kit I bought in
Poundland some 18 or so months back. There weren't any instructions to
speak of. The kit was basically a tiny terracotta pot, a bag of soil
with golden looking flakes in it and a dozen or so seeds.

It wasn't until _after_ I'd filled the pot with the soil and planted
the seeds that I discovered a 2 pence sized filter disk that was
obviously meant to be placed in the bottom of the pot beforehand.

I stuck the disk to the underside of the pot using water adhesion
before putting it into another small plastic pot to contain some water
to keep it all nice and moist (the instructions had at least mentioned
the need to cover it up with a small plastic bag to retain the
moisture).

None of the seeds ever showed the slightest signs of germinating, not
even after the 18 months or so that we'd left it on the kitchen
widowsill.

I only chucked the soil and seeds in the bin just yesterday when I
discovered yet another bumble bee queen with consort perched on the
plastic bag against the window frame which loving couple I transfered
onto a rose flower head in the garden.

We've had stray bumble bees gaining access to the kitchen for the
past couple of months. They enter via the great big hole created last
winter when almost a whole PB's worth of the ceiling fell down due to
water ingress via leaks in the asphalted flat roof of the kitchen
extension.

Handily, the area of water ingress was mostly over the kitchen sink
area so, after perusing a ridiculously high priced quote, we just
coped with the leaks until we knew the roofing contractors would
become sufficiently hungry enough to start quoting sensible prices.

I got the roof done a couple of months ago in epdm rubber for less
than a thousand quid (less than a quarter of the first quote). I could
have got it done even cheaper in GRP by another roofer but I felt it
was maybe just a little too cheap and, in any case, I thought the epdm
membrane method would be a much more durable solution.

We haven't got round to sorting the hole in the kitchen ceiling, much
to SWMBI's annoyance (she's just as capable of picking up a phone to
talk to the contractor recommended by our daughter as I am). I'm not
in any great hurry since it gives the roof timbers more time to enjoy
a damn good airing to thoroughly dry out before completing the full
repair.

Despite my pointing out that the bumble bees haven't been anything
more than a minor 'nuisance', SWMBI has been using this as an excuse
to demand that we 'get someone in' to repair the ceiling soonest. TBH,
I think I'm going to miss seeing those bumble bees when the ceiling is
eventually repaired.
--
J B Good