Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen[_16_] Stephen[_16_] is offline

Default unfamiliar network cable

On 05/06/2014 01:29, wrote:
I need to reterminate a new network cable, but its not one I'm familiar with. It has 8P8C connectors, but they're metal lined. The cable is 7mm OD, each twisted pair is foil screened and kept separated from its neighburs by a central x shaped plastic strip.

What is this cable?
What are the necessary plugs called?
Can I use my cat5 crimping tool? I suspect not - if not is there a way to crimp just one plug without a new tool?

cheers, NT

This sounds like STP cable (Shielded Twisted Pairs) There is another
variation called FTP (Foil twisted Pair which is where the bundle of 4
twisted pairs are covered by a foil.

(the more commonly encountered network cable is called UTP (Unshielded
Twisted Pair)

In both STP and FTP cables, There wil be a ninth wire which is bare.
This is the earth drain wire. COnsequently you need metal clad plugs and
sockets to ensure continuity of the earth drain wire.

See:

http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_inf...FdLHtAodxBgAhA