Posted to uk.d-i-y
D.M.Chapman[_2_] D.M.Chapman[_2_] is offline

Default unfamiliar network cable

In article ,
wrote:
I need to reterminate a new network cable, but its not one I'm familiar
with. It has 8P8C connectors, but they're metal lined. The cable is 7mm
OD, each twisted pair is foil screened and kept separated from its
neighburs by a central x shaped plastic strip.

What is this cable?

STP - shielded twisted pair.

What are the necessary plugs called?

Errr... STP plugs? I assume they have a proper name but some combination
of STP with rj45 or 8P8C should find a supplier. Small quantities probably
best from ebay unless you have an order elsewhere to tag them onto

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300938399871

for example

Can I use my cat5 crimping tool? I suspect not - if not is there a way
to crimp just one plug without a new tool?

Hmm... Not sure about that. Never terminated them - only ever bought them
in (or they came with a server).

Many Sun servers of the V-series vintage shipped with them for use as
serial console leads IIRC. We certainly had loads kicking around. Also
they were spec'd for UPS EPO cabling I think - I assume to help make sure
electrical noise couldn't power down the datacentre :-)

Unless it's in a noisy location, you can probaly ignore it and terminate
normally tbh...

Darren