Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Qualcast or Trueshopping hand-push mower (or other)

Two similar hand-push mowers:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003AJYDVK
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E3SAV8Q

Qualcast is a well-known name in mowers. Trueshopping is a new name to me
and sounds a bit like a novelty seller but the mower has had some good
reviews.

There are far fewer reviews of the Trueshopping mower so maybe they are not
representative.

Anyone any experience of Trueshopping or have other recommendations for a
hand-push mower?

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Harris wrote:
Anyone any experience of Trueshopping or have other recommendations for a
hand-push mower?

Webb Whippet :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The only thing I can say about hand push mowers is that they tend to slip on
wet grass and can also make a mess of it where the wheels are or roller
depending on which drives the machanism.

In our land of wetness, this sort of problem seems quite common.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"James Harris" wrote in message
Two similar hand-push mowers:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003AJYDVK
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E3SAV8Q

Qualcast is a well-known name in mowers. Trueshopping is a new name to me
and sounds a bit like a novelty seller but the mower has had some good
reviews.

There are far fewer reviews of the Trueshopping mower so maybe they are
not representative.

Anyone any experience of Trueshopping or have other recommendations for a
hand-push mower?

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Harris wrote:

Anyone any experience of Trueshopping or have other recommendations for a
hand-push mower?

I guess you must have a particular need/liking for a push mower,
but when you compare the prices, I reckon this is much better
value:

Bosch Rotak 32R Electric Rotary Lawnmower £79.99
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Electric-Rotary-Lawnmower-Cutting/dp/B0099LETKS/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1399472248&sr=1-1&keywords=bosch+rotak+lawnmowers

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
The only thing I can say about hand push mowers is that they tend to slip
on wet grass and can also make a mess of it where the wheels are or roller
depending on which drives the machanism.

In our land of wetness, this sort of problem seems quite common.

I don't know that I would ever try to mow wet grass. Doesn't it always have
to have dried first?

Rotary mowers must be especially bad if the grass is wet or wet-ish.
Particularly if the grass is also long I can imagine them tearing it up by
its roots!

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, May 7, 2014 1:45:55 PM UTC+1, James Harris wrote:

Qualcast is a well-known name in mowers. Trueshopping is a new name to me and
sounds a bit like a novelty seller but the mower has had some good reviews.

Be careful of the Qualcast 'brand' because it is exactly that - a name that is now licencsed for use by others (Argos and Homebase in particular). Likewise with Bosch (mowers at least) - there are many a model out there that are not made in the Bosch UK factory but by a third party in China. These are widely sold in the likes of B&Q and are distinguished by a differing model number suffix.

Have you considered one of Al-ko's push mowers? Plenty of reviews here (average of 4.4/5 over 118 reviews which is pretty positive):

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/al...m-comfort.html

I'm considering one as I've only got 30sqm of lawn with a curved wall at one end and various other obstacles such that a long rotary mower, or cylinder mower with front-mounted grassbox, is likely to be a pain to use for such a small area.

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mathew Newton" wrote in message
On Wednesday, May 7, 2014 1:45:55 PM UTC+1, James Harris wrote:

Qualcast is a well-known name in mowers. Trueshopping is a new name to
me and
sounds a bit like a novelty seller but the mower has had some good
reviews.

Be careful of the Qualcast 'brand' because it is exactly that - a name
that is now licencsed for use by others

That's a surprise. I had read that they were owned by Bosch.

(Argos and Homebase in particular). Likewise with Bosch (mowers at
least) - there are many a model out there that are not made in the Bosch
UK factory but by a third party in China. These are widely sold in the
likes of B&Q and are distinguished by a differing model number suffix.

Have you considered one of Al-ko's push mowers? Plenty of reviews here
(average of 4.4/5 over 118 reviews which is pretty positive):

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/al...m-comfort.html

I'm considering one as I've only got 30sqm of lawn with a curved wall at
one end and various other obstacles such that a long rotary mower, or
cylinder mower with front-mounted grassbox, is likely to be a pain to use
for such a small area.

Thanks for pointing that brand out. They sound quite good. Five-blade
cylinders, German made, good reviews for build quality. Apparently cheaper
to buy direct than from some online retailers.

http://100.al-ko.com/uk/products/law...awnmowers.html

I'm not so sure about their contactless cutting though. Is it any good?

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/14 13:45, James Harris wrote:
Two similar hand-push mowers:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003AJYDVK
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E3SAV8Q

Qualcast is a well-known name in mowers. Trueshopping is a new name to me
and sounds a bit like a novelty seller but the mower has had some good
reviews.

There are far fewer reviews of the Trueshopping mower so maybe they are not
representative.

Anyone any experience of Trueshopping or have other recommendations for a
hand-push mower?

I have this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Einhell-30cm.../dp/B002XCGQN8 and
it's excellent. I bought it after borrowing my neighbours when my last
electric broke down, I've never replaced the electric. This one is just
as quick, you can push it with one hand and it cuts really well, far
better than any rotary I've had.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 May 2014 17:58:57 +0100, James Harris wrote:

Have you considered one of Al-ko's push mowers? Plenty of reviews here
(average of 4.4/5 over 118 reviews which is pretty positive):

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/al...m-comfort.html

I'm considering one as I've only got 30sqm of lawn with a curved wall at
one end and various other obstacles such that a long rotary mower, or
cylinder mower with front-mounted grassbox, is likely to be a pain to use
for such a small area.

Thanks for pointing that brand out. They sound quite good. Five-blade
cylinders, German made, good reviews for build quality. Apparently cheaper
to buy direct than from some online retailers.

http://100.al-ko.com/uk/products/law...awnmowers.html

I'm not so sure about their contactless cutting though. Is it any good?

I looked at these a few years ago and also rang the company (Shropshire way,
IIRC). The chap said that the action worked on speed of revolution
(peripheral speed), by cutting the grass before it had a chance to bend over
the bottom plate. Apparently the gearing is higher than on a standard mower.

As my grass is bumpy, broken up areas and I couldn't keep up a good speed on
most of it, I didn't buy one.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The video mentions "shearing" - this implies to me that there MUST be a
fixed blade - otherwise how the heck would it work?