Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anti static on vaccuum cleaner

Simple question. A Bosch cleaner, works fine has the usual convoluted
plastic pipe and a metal telescopic pipeand a plastic brush on the end. Its
most convenient way to be held is by the plastic at the end of the flexible
tube, but on some surfaces, the touching of the metal pipe after a few
seconds not doing so produces an audible crack and a nasty shock.
I also have a Vax which uses the same arrangement, but does not have this
added feature.. So, I know its not dangerous, and is purely static, but
there hasto be a way to make the Bosh, which is lighter, work like the Vax
which is big and cumbersome, and I do not really want it for spills of
stuff like sawdust or whatever. And no I do not make a habit of taking up
sawdust with it.
I did wonder about an inward facing corona discharge pin, or perhaps a bare
wire that pokes out by the brush but do not want to do something which is
pointless.
Brian

Email:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
Simple question. A Bosch cleaner, works fine has the usual convoluted
plastic pipe and a metal telescopic pipe and a plastic brush on the end.

A length of extra-flexible flex as used for test leads, attached to the metal tube, spiral-wrapped round the hose to allow for stretchiness, and taken to earth on the vacuum cleaner body?

Antistatic hoses can be bought, but might not be easily adapted to a domestic cleaner.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, May 4, 2014 1:06:56 PM UTC+1, wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

Simple question. A Bosch cleaner, works fine has the usual convoluted
plastic pipe and a metal telescopic pipe and a plastic brush on the end.

A length of extra-flexible flex as used for test leads, attached to the metal tube, spiral-wrapped round the hose to allow for stretchiness, and taken to earth on the vacuum cleaner body?
Antistatic hoses can be bought, but might not be easily adapted to a domestic cleaner.
Owain

A carbon loaded paint stripe would also work.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I did wonder about an inward facing corona discharge pin, or perhaps a bare

wire that pokes out by the brush but do not want to do something which is

pointless.

Brian

He who would stoop to pun would steal a purse.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 4 May 2014 12:42:11 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

[...]

It can't be static electricity if it's jumping gaps and stimulating
your nerves and muscles. I don't find the concept of static
electricity as a separate entirety particularly helpful.

I blame the primary school teachers, the same ones who insist their
are seven colours in the visible spectrum.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

It's called static electricty because it's generated on insulating materials
and hence remains there until either it leaks away slowly or it is provided
with a low resistance path. In this case, Mr Gaff.

Important in capacitors where the energy is stored in the insulating
material between the plates.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I did wonder about an inward facing corona discharge pin, or perhaps a bare
wire that pokes out by the brush but do not want to do something which is
pointless.

Spray with an antistatic spray.

Either one for the purpose, as used in electronics etc. Or similar stuff, sold
in the laundry dept as "anti-cling" (or even "anti-static") spray. Failing that,
diluted fabric softener, wiped on, also may be enough.

None of this will be as good as a wire, but may be enough.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 4 May 2014 12:42:11 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

[...]

OT: In the northern US, where winters are cold and houses very dry, we
used to have a dog who would come up behind us and touch her
nose to the back of one of our knees, and appeared to delight in the
reaction as the static charge caused the victim to involuntarily dance
as the knee collapsed in reaction. Who says dogs don't have a sense of
humour? She did.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hmm, well, trying to find an earth on the cleaner. Modern cleaners seem to
be made of plastic, at least externally. What I don't get really is why one
cleaner should be worse than another.
I think its get out the rubber gloves time again. it was suggested that it
was me not the cleaner, but if that were the case it would affect me on the
other cleaner as well. Certainly I have had issues, changing the bed then
walking over to a large filing cabinet is not to be recommended.
Brian

Email:

wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:
Simple question. A Bosch cleaner, works fine has the usual convoluted
plastic pipe and a metal telescopic pipe and a plastic brush on the end.

A length of extra-flexible flex as used for test leads, attached to the
metal tube, spiral-wrapped round the hose to allow for stretchiness, and
taken to earth on the vacuum cleaner body?

Antistatic hoses can be bought, but might not be easily adapted to a
domestic cleaner.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, if we are being pedantic then, there is an imbalance of potentials
between myself and an insulated piece of metal on the cleaner.

One can easily make this occur in other ways merely with friction and even
with the friction of air itself if its dry enough, so maybe the real answer
is to turn my house into a rain forest humidity wise where there will not be
the ability for large potentials to develop.
Damn those electrons.
With regard to the visible spectrum, which I myself cannot see, that is a
whole other story of course. I used to wind them up asking so how do you
make silver and gold colours then.
Brian

Email:

wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

changing the bed then walking over to a large filing cabinet
is not to be recommended.

Brentford Nylons went out with the 70's ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The thing is of course that is it me which is storing it, or the vacuum.
Maybe its a naturist vacuum, and it would not happen if you do the cleaning
naked?
I'll suggest that to my female cleaner shall I? She gets the shocks as
well!
I have been reading up on this subject and its actually quite common. Of
course today for some reason its not doing it, so its hard to tell if any
system works.
The idea of conductive paint is interesting but not very practical, it will
wear off or break. The idea of a wire round the tube would not work as its
no a spiral tube its a sereies ofconcerteena constructions.
My feelings are perhaps a resistor on the person, and trying to remember to
touch this on things before more sensitive parts!

What is needed is a person with a high impedance meter.
Brian

Email:

wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Goodness me, the pedants are out today. Must be all that static electricity
and non white light from the sun that does it..grin

Brian

Email:

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , harryagain
wrote:

"Graham." wrote in message

It can't be static electricity if it's jumping gaps and stimulating
your nerves and muscles. I don't find the concept of static
electricity as a separate entirety particularly helpful.

I blame the primary school teachers, the same ones who insist their
are seven colours in the visible spectrum.

It's called static electricty because it's generated on insulating
materials and hence remains there until either it leaks away slowly or it
is provided with a low resistance path. In this case, Mr Gaff.

Yes, insulating materials are where you notice it. If you have a
buildup of charge, then that creates a voltage, and an electric field.
This is true whether the buildup is on your hair or in the clouds. If
you are under a cloud where a large charge has built up, then the field
will induce a charge in you and your hair stands on end. If the voltage
difference gets large enough then the insulator may break down and you
get a spark or lightning.

You won't notice the same with a conductor as the charge can leak away
immediately.

--
"If you're not able to ask questions and deal with the answers without
feeling that someone has called your intelligence or competence into

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes as do horses of course. Fun is felt by other animals.
Near me some years ago there was a field with horses in it. Most of the
time they would be well behaved, but one in particular had a way to wind up
dogs.
It would wait till the dog laid down, then sneak up behind it and poke it
up its bottom with its nose. When the dog got up and looked around for
anyone, it would obviously puzzled as the horse was busy eating grass, so
it would move a few feet and lay down again, and so it went on until
eventually the dog got fed up and wandered off and laid on the other side
of a fence.

Very strange.
Brian

Email:

"Davey" wrote in message
On Sun, 4 May 2014 12:42:11 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 5 May 2014 10:25:26 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Yes as do horses of course. Fun is felt by other animals.
Near me some years ago there was a field with horses in it. Most of
the time they would be well behaved, but one in particular had a way
to wind up dogs.
It would wait till the dog laid down, then sneak up behind it and
poke it up its bottom with its nose. When the dog got up and looked
around for anyone, it would obviously puzzled as the horse was busy
eating grass, so it would move a few feet and lay down again, and so
it went on until eventually the dog got fed up and wandered off and
laid on the other side of a fence.

Very strange.
Brian

The same dog of ours would be tormented by squirrels when we lived at a
place where she had to be kept on a lead outside the property, as it was
open-plan gardens, the ghastly 'Rolling Meadow' communal lawn system.
The squirrels soon learned exactly how long her lead was, and would sit
there just outside the range. We often thought about extending the lead
one day, but never did.

Funny, after that, she would kill any squirrel she could catch.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
The thing is of course that is it me which is storing it, or the vacuum.
Maybe its a naturist vacuum, and it would not happen if you do the
cleaning naked?

And i bet the nurses at the local A&E have heard the 'naturist vacuuming'
thing plenty of times whilst extracting knobs from hoover hoses

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Brian Gaff" writes:
Hmm, well, trying to find an earth on the cleaner. Modern cleaners seem to
be made of plastic, at least externally.

You probably won't find one - they're all double insulated nowadays.

If you did find one, you want to put something like a 1Mohm resistor
in series, so that whilst it can bleed away static, it can't pass
enough current to act as a path for an electric shock.

What I don't get really is why one
cleaner should be worse than another.

It will depend what materials are used. The friction between fast
moving air and some plastics will generate static, as will running
some plastics on various carpet materials.

--
Andrew Gabriel