Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Anti static on vaccuum cleaner

The thing is of course that is it me which is storing it, or the vacuum.
Maybe its a naturist vacuum, and it would not happen if you do the cleaning
naked?
I'll suggest that to my female cleaner shall I? She gets the shocks as
well!
I have been reading up on this subject and its actually quite common. Of
course today for some reason its not doing it, so its hard to tell if any
system works.
The idea of conductive paint is interesting but not very practical, it will
wear off or break. The idea of a wire round the tube would not work as its
no a spiral tube its a sereies ofconcerteena constructions.
My feelings are perhaps a resistor on the person, and trying to remember to
touch this on things before more sensitive parts!

What is needed is a person with a high impedance meter.
Brian

Email:

"harryagain" wrote in message

"Graham." wrote in message
On Sun, 4 May 2014 12:42:11 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Simple question. A Bosch cleaner, works fine has the usual convoluted
plastic pipe and a metal telescopic pipeand a plastic brush on the end.
Its
most convenient way to be held is by the plastic at the end of the
flexible
tube, but on some surfaces, the touching of the metal pipe after a few
seconds not doing so produces an audible crack and a nasty shock.
I also have a Vax which uses the same arrangement, but does not have
this
added feature.. So, I know its not dangerous, and is purely static, but
there hasto be a way to make the Bosh, which is lighter, work like the
Vax
which is big and cumbersome, and I do not really want it for spills of
stuff like sawdust or whatever. And no I do not make a habit of taking up
sawdust with it.
I did wonder about an inward facing corona discharge pin, or perhaps a
bare
wire that pokes out by the brush but do not want to do something which
is
pointless.
Brian

It can't be static electricity if it's jumping gaps and stimulating
your nerves and muscles. I don't find the concept of static
electricity as a separate entirety particularly helpful.

I blame the primary school teachers, the same ones who insist their
are seven colours in the visible spectrum.

It's called static electricty because it's generated on insulating
materials and hence remains there until either it leaks away slowly or it
is provided with a low resistance path. In this case, Mr Gaff.

Important in capacitors where the energy is stored in the insulating
material between the plates.