Peter

Default plumes from Vaillant 622/2E System boiler

Hello,

I am having a Vaillant 622/2E System boiler installed in my house
for central heating and hot water.

Because of the way our house sits on a hill any plume from the flue
outlet would be comming out just to the left and below the main
house door entrance and also quite near a hall window.
i.e. any plume would be very visible.

Can anyone tell me how much plume I should expect to see ?
In cold weather would I expect to see a plume all day, or
just when the boiler is starting in the morning ?
Would there be a plume in summer ?

I am asking as I have the option (for a bit more money) to run
the flue from the current planned outlet vertically up the outside
side of the house and through the soffit terminating above the roof.
I like this solution on terms of hiding the plumes
but my architect says the flue will look ugly on the side of the house.

I have checked with Vaillant and the wall solution would not exceed
any permissable lengths so there is no problem with doing this.
I just don't know if it's worth it or not ?

Also, anybody had any problems with either any of the following:-
Vaillant EcoMax 622/2E
Megaflo HE CL210 Indirect Cylinders

Many thanks for any feedback/help

Pete
Christian McArdle

Can anyone tell me how much plume I should expect to see ?
In cold weather would I expect to see a plume all day, or
just when the boiler is starting in the morning ?
Would there be a plume in summer ?

My Ideal Icos plumed any time it was on. It would certainly be better if the
flue terminal had been above the roof line.

Vaillant EcoMax 622/2E

Not directly, but I hear it is good.

Megaflo HE CL210 Indirect Cylinders

My parents have a Megaflo. It is excellent. 210 litres is seriously large,
enough to run two full baths simultaneously even with the boiler off. Are
you sure you need that much?

Christian.

IMM

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
(Peter) writes:
Hello,

I am having a Vaillant 622/2E System boiler installed in my house
for central heating and hot water.

Because of the way our house sits on a hill any plume from the flue
outlet would be comming out just to the left and below the main
house door entrance and also quite near a hall window.
i.e. any plume would be very visible.

Can anyone tell me how much plume I should expect to see ?

I think it might depend on the boiler and flue. My Keston
doesn't produce anywhere near as much as I thought it might,
actually, probably not a lot more than next door's conventional
boiler.

That is because it is a top mounted burner with a bottom flue. The
condensate trap is taken off the lowest point of the flue. This mean that
less moisture is in the flue gasses as it exhausts. Have a Keston with the
maximum flue length of 40 or 50 metres, or whatever, and virtually no plume
is visible, if at all.

I have a bottom mounted burner and top mounted flue. The flues gas are full
of moisture when exhausting giving a thick plume.

In the early days of condensing boilers the top mounted flue jobs didn't
produce much condensate in the drain pipe, with plumbers saying "condensing
boilers don't work", "the makers have played around with the burnmers to
make that plume", "not worth the money", etc. The test efficiencies tended
to right over their gutter fitting heads.

Would there be a plume in summer ?

My top monted flue does plume in summer.

---

IMM

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...

Megaflo HE CL210 Indirect Cylinders

My parents have a Megaflo. It is excellent.
210 litres is seriously large, enough to run
two full baths simultaneously even with the
boiler off. Are you sure you need that much?

The size could be dropped by 40% if a quick recovery coil and a hot water
priority system is used. The Vaillant is quite powerful and should re-heat
very quickly. It would be re-heating as water is being drawn-off, in effect
making the cylinder larger.

A better method is to have a hot water priority system, have an extra high
limit stat set to 90-95C and a flow switch on the hot pipe that serves only
the baths and showers, which are the largest hot water users. When any bath
or shower is switched on the boiler automatically fires, by-passing the run
stat set to 55C and controlled by the high limit stat, sending heat to the
cylinder. When the bath or shower taps are off it reverts back to the run
stat of 55C. This is a cheap and very effective method by using the full
power of the boiler available using only an extra flow switch and cylinder
stat. The boiler power is there so use it. It can be sued to reduce the
cost of other equipment, reduce space taken up and reduce costs. This can
be implemented on virtually any system.

---

Lobster

(Peter) wrote in message . com...

Can anyone tell me how much plume I should expect to see ?
In cold weather would I expect to see a plume all day, or
just when the boiler is starting in the morning ?
Would there be a plume in summer ?

I am asking as I have the option (for a bit more money) to run
the flue from the current planned outlet vertically up the outside
side of the house and through the soffit terminating above the roof.
I like this solution on terms of hiding the plumes
but my architect says the flue will look ugly on the side of the house.

Yes the plume is visible the whole time the boiler's working, summer
and winter; obviously it comes and goes when the thermostat kicks in
and out. It tends to blow around a lot when it's windy. When we
first had ours put in it reminded us of the set of sci-fi movie like
Bladerunner or something. But you get used to it. Just think of the
money you're saving because it's cool (and therefore visible!) Only
you can decide whether it's more or less ugly than a flue attached to
the side of the house.

Also, anybody had any problems with either any of the following:-
Vaillant EcoMax 622/2E

We have an EcoMax 226/EH (don't know how close that is to yours) which
we like. Only problem in 2-3 years has been a failed combustion fan
(~100 quid) which somebody on this ng reckoned was a design flaw,
because the fans aren't designed for temperature extremes.

HTH
David

Gas boiler service review/advice David Hearn UK diy 1 November 18th 03 04:21 PM
gas boiler thermocouple Stoney UK diy 56 October 20th 03 09:02 PM
Digital cylinder 'stat? Martin Angove UK diy 9 October 12th 03 08:32 PM
New Combi boiler GB UK diy 7 September 7th 03 11:34 PM
Vaillant Combi Boiler Ed Sirett UK diy 5 July 31st 03 08:52 PM