Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Washing machine inlet hose

Washing machine inlet hose - I've just fitted the hose that came with a
new Beko washing machine for someone. To stop it leaking, I had to
tighten the hose with a pair of grips. Normally, finger tightness will do.

Is this an accident just waiting to happen, do you think? Should I go
back, pull the machine out and fit a decent hose? It's awkward to
access, but I'd rather do that than have a flood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/14 10:46, GB wrote:
Washing machine inlet hose - I've just fitted the hose that came with a
new Beko washing machine for someone. To stop it leaking, I had to
tighten the hose with a pair of grips. Normally, finger tightness will do.

Is this an accident just waiting to happen, do you think? Should I go
back, pull the machine out and fit a decent hose? It's awkward to
access, but I'd rather do that than have a flood.

You could try a new washer - they are standard.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2014 10:46, GB wrote:
Washing machine inlet hose - I've just fitted the hose that came with a
new Beko washing machine for someone. To stop it leaking, I had to
tighten the hose with a pair of grips. Normally, finger tightness will do.

Is this an accident just waiting to happen, do you think? Should I go
back, pull the machine out and fit a decent hose? It's awkward to
access, but I'd rather do that than have a flood.

Presumably the threads are plastic on plastic? Are they just tight to
turn, or are the threads bottoming without making a proper seal?

If the former, try lubricating the threads. You *should* be able to get
a seal just with hand tightening. If the latter, try a thicker washer -
or just an extra washer.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 06/04/2014 12:21, Roger Mills wrote:
On 06/04/2014 10:46, GB wrote:
Washing machine inlet hose - I've just fitted the hose that came with a
new Beko washing machine for someone. To stop it leaking, I had to
tighten the hose with a pair of grips. Normally, finger tightness will
do.

Is this an accident just waiting to happen, do you think? Should I go
back, pull the machine out and fit a decent hose? It's awkward to
access, but I'd rather do that than have a flood.

Presumably the threads are plastic on plastic? Are they just tight to
turn, or are the threads bottoming without making a proper seal?

If the former, try lubricating the threads. You *should* be able to get
a seal just with hand tightening. If the latter, try a thicker washer -
or just an extra washer.

It's the tap end, and the tap (washing machine outlet) looks reasonable
quality. Whereas the moment I picked up the Beko hose, I thought it felt
below par. I don't think there's room in the nut part of the connector
for an extra washer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2014 10:46, GB wrote:
[...]

In a previous life i worked for thorn homeserve (radio rentals delivery and
installation firm) and every week we were issued with a bag of good quality
rubber washers for washing machine installs,
First thing we do when we take any make of washing machine out of the box is
remove the crappy rubber washer in the hose ends (usually a filter washer on
end, they were the worst for splitting and leaking a few months later) in
put in the decent quality washers.

We were warned that if we ran out of the good quality washers on a job, to
refuse the install and wait until we got more washers, anyone who used the
washing machine supplied washers was in for a bollocking and a maintinance
visit in their own time to the customer to change the washers out,
and if the crappy washer had already split and flooded the place, instant
dismissal.