Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Broken Oven Light

Small Edison screw 25W 300°C bulb has gone in our oven. The glass bit
fell out when we removed the cover, leaving the base firmly (too firmly
for my other half with a pair of needle nose pliers) jammed in the
threads. I'm too arthritic to get down there, and probably couldn't do
any better anyway. Any bright ideas please? I wondered if something like
an Easiout might do it, if I could get one. I can't get down there to
see what is left inside the thread, although a photo with a phone camera
might solve that one.

--
Bob - Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Licentiae, quam stulti libertatem vocabant - Tacitus
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Mar 2014 15:19:45 -0000, Bob Henson wrote:

Small Edison screw 25W 300°C bulb has gone in our oven. The glass bit
fell out when we removed the cover, leaving the base firmly (too firmly
for my other half with a pair of needle nose pliers) jammed in the
threads. I'm too arthritic to get down there, and probably couldn't do
any better anyway. Any bright ideas please? I wondered if something like
an Easiout might do it, if I could get one. I can't get down there to
see what is left inside the thread, although a photo with a phone camera
might solve that one.

WD40? But don't use the oven shortly afterwards, it's flammable.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2014 3:25 PM, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Fri, 07 Mar 2014 15:19:45 -0000, Bob Henson wrote:

Small Edison screw 25W 300°C bulb has gone in our oven. The glass bit
fell out when we removed the cover, leaving the base firmly (too firmly
for my other half with a pair of needle nose pliers) jammed in the
threads. I'm too arthritic to get down there, and probably couldn't do
any better anyway. Any bright ideas please? I wondered if something like
an Easiout might do it, if I could get one. I can't get down there to
see what is left inside the thread, although a photo with a phone camera
might solve that one.

WD40? But don't use the oven shortly afterwards, it's flammable.

The flammability (and the smell) is one thing what stopped me trying it.
Not being able to get down there easily, I thought that any advantage
gained might be offset by having WD40 all over the bit we were trying to
grip on to - the bulb is "point upwards", so the WD 40 would tend to
run out of the threads rather than into them - although capillary action
might persuade it to run uphill. I'll bear the idea in mind though - if
all else fails I'll have to try it.

--
Bob - Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Henson wrote:

Small Edison screw 25W 300°C bulb has gone in our oven. The glass bit
fell out when we removed the cover, leaving the base firmly (too firmly
for my other half with a pair of needle nose pliers) jammed in the
threads. I'm too arthritic to get down there, and probably couldn't do
any better anyway. Any bright ideas please? I wondered if something like
an Easiout might do it, if I could get one. I can't get down there to
see what is left inside the thread, although a photo with a phone camera
might solve that one.

I had a problem replacing the bulb in the microwave oven and found that
shining a torch through the window was the easiest answer. :-)

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Henson
writes

Small Edison screw 25W 300°C bulb has gone in our oven. The glass bit
fell out when we removed the cover, leaving the base firmly (too firmly
for my other half with a pair of needle nose pliers) jammed in the
threads. I'm too arthritic to get down there, and probably couldn't do
any better anyway. Any bright ideas please? I wondered if something like
an Easiout might do it, if I could get one. I can't get down there to
see what is left inside the thread, although a photo with a phone camera
might solve that one.

Would it be possible to jam a large flat bladed screw driver into the
remains of it and undo it that way?
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2014 3:52 PM, Bill wrote:
In message , Bob Henson
writes

Small Edison screw 25W 300°C bulb has gone in our oven. The glass bit
fell out when we removed the cover, leaving the base firmly (too firmly
for my other half with a pair of needle nose pliers) jammed in the
threads. I'm too arthritic to get down there, and probably couldn't do
any better anyway. Any bright ideas please? I wondered if something like
an Easiout might do it, if I could get one. I can't get down there to
see what is left inside the thread, although a photo with a phone camera
might solve that one.

Would it be possible to jam a large flat bladed screw driver into the
remains of it and undo it that way?

It might well be - if only I could get down there myself I could tell. I
think we'll have a go at that this weekend, if SWMBO thinks she has the
necessary grip. I can't think of anything else that we could fit into it.

--
Bob - Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2014 15:19, Bob Henson wrote:

Small Edison screw 25W 300°C bulb has gone in our oven. The glass bit
fell out when we removed the cover, leaving the base firmly (too firmly
for my other half with a pair of needle nose pliers) jammed in the
threads. I'm too arthritic to get down there, and probably couldn't do
any better anyway. Any bright ideas please? I wondered if something like
an Easiout might do it, if I could get one. I can't get down there to
see what is left inside the thread, although a photo with a phone camera
might solve that one.

When that happened on my cooker I phoned zanussi and they sent me a new
lamp unit, it was easy to swap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2014 15:58, Bob Henson wrote:
[...]

The other way that may work is a cheap pair of side cutters and
effectively nibble a cut into the edge then twist it away from the
thread. Basically you have to be pretty brutal if the metalwork is stuck
in the socket. Tricky if it is a ceramic socket rather than metal...
Bayonet fitting are easier to extract under these circumstances but that
isn't a lot of help.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2014 15:19, Bob Henson wrote:

Small Edison screw 25W 300°C bulb has gone in our oven. The glass bit
fell out when we removed the cover, leaving the base firmly (too firmly
for my other half with a pair of needle nose pliers) jammed in the
threads. I'm too arthritic to get down there, and probably couldn't do
any better anyway. Any bright ideas please? I wondered if something like
an Easiout might do it, if I could get one. I can't get down there to
see what is left inside the thread, although a photo with a phone camera
might solve that one.

make the bit that is left in smaller by pulling in the sides. At some
point this will free up the thread and enable you to turn it with ease.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2014 4:32 PM, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

I might be able to use sidecutters to cut a slot in each opposite side,
and then fit something across the two slots on which I could get more
purchase - thanks for the idea.

--
Bob - Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Squirrel - a rat with good PR.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2014 4:30 PM, dennis@home wrote:
On 07/03/2014 15:19, Bob Henson wrote:

Small Edison screw 25W 300°C bulb has gone in our oven. The glass bit
fell out when we removed the cover, leaving the base firmly (too firmly
for my other half with a pair of needle nose pliers) jammed in the
threads. I'm too arthritic to get down there, and probably couldn't do
any better anyway. Any bright ideas please? I wondered if something like
an Easiout might do it, if I could get one. I can't get down there to
see what is left inside the thread, although a photo with a phone camera
might solve that one.

When that happened on my cooker I phoned zanussi and they sent me a new
lamp unit, it was easy to swap.

I hadn't thought of that - I'll have a look how easy it is to change the
whole unit - it has to be something that SWMBO can manage though.

--
Bob - Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Bad or missing mouse driver. Sack the cat? (Y/N)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2014 16:53, Bob Henson wrote:
On 07/03/2014 4:30 PM, dennis@home wrote:
On 07/03/2014 15:19, Bob Henson wrote:

Small Edison screw 25W 300°C bulb has gone in our oven. The glass bit
fell out when we removed the cover, leaving the base firmly (too firmly
for my other half with a pair of needle nose pliers) jammed in the
threads. I'm too arthritic to get down there, and probably couldn't do
any better anyway. Any bright ideas please? I wondered if something like
an Easiout might do it, if I could get one. I can't get down there to
see what is left inside the thread, although a photo with a phone camera
might solve that one.

When that happened on my cooker I phoned zanussi and they sent me a new
lamp unit, it was easy to swap.

I hadn't thought of that - I'll have a look how easy it is to change the
whole unit - it has to be something that SWMBO can manage though.

If you *can* get the whole thing out, it will be easier to see what
you're doing - and you may then be able to get the bulb out without
having to replace the unit.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2014 4:56 PM, Uncle Peter wrote:
[...]

Any grandchildren/younger neighbours with small hands that can get in there?

No, I'm afraid not. SWMBO is going to have another go over the weekend
using a couple of the ideas we've got from the group - failing success
there we'll od as was suggested and peer in through the door with a
torch :-)

--
Bob - Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Licentiae, quam stulti libertatem vocabant - Tacitus

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2014 5:23 PM, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Yes, I was wondering about that. From what I've seen so far I don't
think that can be done - but I'll dig out the original installation
manual and see if it sheds any light on the matter (pun intended :-( ) -
I've got it buried away somewhere.

--
Bob - Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Mistress - a thing between a Mister and a Mattress.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2014 6:02 PM, stuart noble wrote:
On 07/03/2014 16:45, alan wrote:
On 07/03/2014 15:19, Bob Henson wrote:

Small Edison screw 25W 300°C bulb has gone in our oven. The glass bit
fell out when we removed the cover, leaving the base firmly (too firmly
for my other half with a pair of needle nose pliers) jammed in the
threads. I'm too arthritic to get down there, and probably couldn't do
any better anyway. Any bright ideas please? I wondered if something like
an Easiout might do it, if I could get one. I can't get down there to
see what is left inside the thread, although a photo with a phone camera
might solve that one.

make the bit that is left in smaller by pulling in the sides. At some
point this will free up the thread and enable you to turn it with ease.

I'd use mole grips.

I can't get a mole wrench anywhere near - but if I can jam something
into the base I might get a mole grip or a spanner on it to provide the
necessary torque.

--
Bob - Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Mar 2014 18:30:21 -0000, Bob Henson wrote:

[...]

ALL your neighbours are old?

--
"Boy, will I give YOU a haircut!" said Tom barbarously.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2014 7:01 PM, Uncle Peter wrote:
[...]

Mostly, yes - nearly all retired round here. There are a few youngsters,
but none I know well enough to ask to roll about on my kitchen floor and
poke metal things into electrical apparatus.

--
Bob - Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Alimony - the Bounty on the Mutiny!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Mar 2014 19:10:12 -0000, Bob Henson wrote:

[...]

Anyone would help you replace a bulb surely? A few elderly neighbours have asked me to do fiddly things before.

--
Duelling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are
registered blood donors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2014 18:30, Bob Henson wrote:

No, I'm afraid not. SWMBO is going to have another go over the weekend
using a couple of the ideas we've got from the group - failing success
there we'll od as was suggested and peer in through the door with a
torch :-)

But if you abandon the broken bulb, and do without it, be careful
because it's likely to have some exposed live parts!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2014 7:52 PM, Roger Mills wrote:
On 07/03/2014 18:30, Bob Henson wrote:

No, I'm afraid not. SWMBO is going to have another go over the weekend
using a couple of the ideas we've got from the group - failing success
there we'll od as was suggested and peer in through the door with a
torch :-)

But if you abandon the broken bulb, and do without it, be careful
because it's likely to have some exposed live parts!

That's why I want to fix it - however, it is behind a thick glass panel
and, at the moment, isn't touching anything it shouldn't.

--
Bob - Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Heaven is where the police are British, the mechanics German, the cooks
are French, the lovers Italian, and all is organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the mechanics are French, the cooks
are British, the lovers are Swiss, and it's all organized by the Italians!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Henson wrote:
Small Edison screw 25W 300°C bulb has gone in our oven. The glass bit
fell out when we removed the cover, leaving the base firmly (too firmly
for my other half with a pair of needle nose pliers) jammed in the
threads.

Have you tried it at various stages of oven heating/cooling? The
expansion and contraction may make it easier at some point. Obviously
you would need to wear gloves or something.

-- Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I would have expected the thin metal of the lamp to sort of peel inwards
and come out of the holder. Has SWMBO tried twisting the pliers in an
appropriate direction to peel it inwards?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gripping story so far...
please let us know how it turns out!
PS. In the past I've used the power off at MCB, thin nosed pliers to grip
thread, turn anti clockwise...approach. But I can understand that access
could make that difficult.

--
OlavM
Overlooking the Clyde where it meets the Sea
"Bob Henson" wrote in message
DerbyBorn wrote:

I would have expected the thin metal of the lamp to sort of peel inwards
and come out of the holder. Has SWMBO tried twisting the pliers in an
appropriate direction to peel it inwards?

It's so well concealed you can't get enough grip on it.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the
end.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, March 8, 2014 12:22:41 PM UTC, Olav M wrote:
"Bob Henson" gmail.com wrote in message
DerbyBorn wrote:

I would have expected the thin metal of the lamp to sort of peel inwards
and come out of the holder. Has SWMBO tried twisting the pliers in an
appropriate direction to peel it inwards?

It's so well concealed you can't get enough grip on it.

Gripping story so far...
please let us know how it turns out!
PS. In the past I've used the power off at MCB, thin nosed pliers to grip
thread, turn anti clockwise...approach. But I can understand that access
could make that difficult.

Maybe pull oven out, lay it on its back.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Bob Henson" wrote in message
[...]

A carrot?

It sometimes works.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/03/2014 08:32, ARW wrote:

A carrot?

It sometimes works.

And if that doesn't work, try a stick! g
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 09/03/2014 11:21, Roger Mills wrote:
On 09/03/2014 08:32, ARW wrote:

A carrot?

It sometimes works.

Can you grab the edge of the bulb with a mole grip? Or there's too
little space?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 08/03/2014 23:51, wrote:

Maybe pull oven out, lay it on its back.

Most oven doors come off easily. (And go back again!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Mar 2014 18:53:02 +0000, GB
wrote:

On 08/03/2014 23:51, wrote:

Maybe pull oven out, lay it on its back.

Most oven doors come off easily. (And go back again!)

Something I wished I'd known about nearly 2 1/2 years ago when
dragging an almost new Bosch Double Oven (model: hbn43m521b) up our
concrete drive on a hand truck trolly. I hit a rough patch and the
main oven door glass shattered because I'd had its handle resting
against the 'upright' part of the trolly on account the weight
distribution wouldn't allow me to rest it the other way round.

If I'd been aware of this feature, I'd have removed both oven doors
and not only eliminated the risk of damage but also considerably
lightened the load on the trolly as well as my knees and back (the
doors are quite heavy for their size - triple glazed on the main door)
and I'd have saved about £110 expenditure on a replacement outer
glass[1].

As usual, I didn't find out about how to remove the doors until a
google search found me the user guide after we'd slotted it into place
(direct swap out for a 25+ yo New World Double Oven or similar - I
can't recall the actual make right now and I ain't about to disturb
SWMBI at this time of night).

With it being a triple glazed door I was able to try it out and even
utilise the main oven whilst waiting on the delivery of the
replacement glass.

[1] It was worth buying a replacement glass to repair the oven since
my step son had given it to us for free (even lending me his works van
to transport it home). He'd just moved house and had removed the oven
when he had the kitchen completely remodelled with the latest 'shiny
appliances money could buy' and it had been sat in his garage for a
week or two just taking up space. It was in pristine condition except
for, afair, it missing one of the oven lamp cover glasses.

When I ordered the the replacement glass panel, I remembered to
include a replacement oven lamp glass cover on the order.
Unfortunately, this 'delivery charge' saving tactic was rather spoilt
by my having to place yet another seperate order for a replacement
oven lamp or two (40W SES). They're not so readily available as the
more common 15W pygmy SES lamps.

ISTR the lamps cost about a fiver each so I probably only ordered the
one. A 15W pygmy oven lamp has the same size thread but the disparity
in lumen output compared to the 40 watter rather suggests that the
result will be rather on the dim side of dark.
--
Regards, J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I remove my oven doors every time I clean the oven. It makes it easier to
reach in and the door can be cleaned better when next to the sink. Usually
a couple of quarter turn catches sort of lock the mechanism so that it can
be withdrawn.
A little project for those who haven't done it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 10/03/2014 08:31, DerbyBorn wrote:
I remove my oven doors every time I clean the oven. It makes it easier to
reach in and the door can be cleaned better when next to the sink. Usually
a couple of quarter turn catches sort of lock the mechanism so that it can
be withdrawn.
A little project for those who haven't done it!

It's a definite case of RTFM!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2014 08:31, DerbyBorn wrote:
I remove my oven doors every time I clean the oven. It makes it easier to
reach in and the door can be cleaned better when next to the sink. Usually
a couple of quarter turn catches sort of lock the mechanism so that it can
be withdrawn.
A little project for those who haven't done it!

My oven door goes in the dishwasher along with all the shelves.
They are really easy to clean the "burnt on" stuff if you do it while
they are fresh from the dishwasher.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2014 08:31, DerbyBorn wrote:
I remove my oven doors every time I clean the oven. It makes it easier to
reach in and the door can be cleaned better when next to the sink. Usually
a couple of quarter turn catches sort of lock the mechanism so that it can
be withdrawn.
A little project for those who haven't done it!

I've got a Bosch single oven whose door comes off easily by moving the
catches on the hinges.

I've also got a Bosch combi-microwave whose door *looks* as if it ought
to come off - but its hinges are a bit different, and I can't figure out
how to do it! The driver's handbook doesn't mention removing the door.
Anyone come across these? [I could probably post a picture if that would
help].
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2014 09:33, GB wrote:
On 10/03/2014 08:31, DerbyBorn wrote:
I remove my oven doors every time I clean the oven. It makes it easier to
reach in and the door can be cleaned better when next to the sink.
Usually
a couple of quarter turn catches sort of lock the mechanism so that it
can
be withdrawn.
A little project for those who haven't done it!

It's a definite case of RTFM!

My son's Smeg oven door was a right pig. Special pins (which you don't
happen to have about your person) need to be inserted in certain holes
to lock the hinges. Easy when you know how, but a PITA for the consumer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 11:57:06 +0000, Roger Mills
wrote:

On 10/03/2014 08:31, DerbyBorn wrote:
I remove my oven doors every time I clean the oven. It makes it easier to
reach in and the door can be cleaned better when next to the sink. Usually
a couple of quarter turn catches sort of lock the mechanism so that it can
be withdrawn.
A little project for those who haven't done it!

I've got a Bosch single oven whose door comes off easily by moving the
catches on the hinges.

Exactly the same on the Double Oven. The latches lock the hinge
'tongues' allowing the door to be lifted out of engagement with the
oven hinge slots. Perhaps a couple of seconds each hinge and you can
have the oven door loose in your hands in little more than 5 seconds.

It's easy when you know how. It's just a pity I didn't know about
this feature when I loaded it into my step son's van.

I've also got a Bosch combi-microwave whose door *looks* as if it ought
to come off - but its hinges are a bit different, and I can't figure out
how to do it! The driver's handbook doesn't mention removing the door.
Anyone come across these? [I could probably post a picture if that would
help].

Sorry, I can't help on that one other than to venture that it might
not be possible seeing as how door hinge alignment is somewhat
critical to keeping the cooking cavity RF tight.
--
Regards, J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Henson
writes
Bob Henson wrote:

Small Edison screw 25W 300°C bulb has gone in our oven. The glass bit
fell out when we removed the cover, leaving the base firmly (too firmly
for my other half with a pair of needle nose pliers) jammed in the
threads. I'm too arthritic to get down there, and probably couldn't do
any better anyway. Any bright ideas please? I wondered if something like
an Easiout might do it, if I could get one. I can't get down there to
see what is left inside the thread, although a photo with a phone camera
might solve that one.

Well, we used several of the ideas and finally managed to fix the light. I
took a photo of it with my phone, which let us see what we were up against.
The initial attack with needle nosed pliers had given us a bit of space to
work. Then a large stubby screwdriver rammed into the remains of the bulb
started the bulb base moving, and then it was possible to screw it out
without too much trouble. New bulb in and working just fine. Thanks for all
the ideas.

Phew!

Well done. :-)

--
Bill

removing broken bolt in oven... D.M.Chapman UK diy 32 May 22nd 10 03:27 PM
microwave oven broken Stephen[_6_] UK diy 32 November 1st 09 11:53 PM
Broken Oven Light Endulini UK diy 4 June 18th 09 06:38 PM
OVEN CLOCK BROKEN MRS. CLEAN Home Repair 6 October 17th 06 02:22 AM
Broken fan assisted oven vera Electronics Repair 6 August 21st 05 06:54 PM