Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flushing Central Heating

A friend is having trouble getting his downstairs radiators hot. (Upstairs
it balanced down to a minimum)
A plmber has replaced the pump to no avail. Today he did a power flush but
he connected to a radiator flow and return. I had assumed that flushing was
normally done at the pump connectors.

If there is a blockage then I believe the pipes under the floor are the
problem.

Sould he be trying to connect the power flush into one radiator - and the
return into a different radiator?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/2014 15:43, DerbyBorn wrote:
A friend is having trouble getting his downstairs radiators hot. (Upstairs
it balanced down to a minimum)
A plmber has replaced the pump to no avail. Today he did a power flush but
he connected to a radiator flow and return. I had assumed that flushing was
normally done at the pump connectors.

If there is a blockage then I believe the pipes under the floor are the
problem.

Sould he be trying to connect the power flush into one radiator - and the
return into a different radiator?

Chances are that any blockages are *inside* the radiators rather than in
the pipes. Best way of dealing with that is to take all the rads off and
take them outside and flush each one out with a hosepipe.

Then flush the pipes (with the rads out) by opening one radiator valve
at a time until the water runs clear.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote in
:

On 05/03/2014 15:43, DerbyBorn wrote:
A friend is having trouble getting his downstairs radiators hot.
(Upstairs it balanced down to a minimum)
A plmber has replaced the pump to no avail. Today he did a power
flush but he connected to a radiator flow and return. I had assumed
that flushing was normally done at the pump connectors.

If there is a blockage then I believe the pipes under the floor are
the problem.

Sould he be trying to connect the power flush into one radiator - and
the return into a different radiator?

Chances are that any blockages are *inside* the radiators rather than
in the pipes. Best way of dealing with that is to take all the rads
off and take them outside and flush each one out with a hosepipe.

Then flush the pipes (with the rads out) by opening one radiator valve
at a time until the water runs clear.

I am thinking that the lowest pipes are likely to be sludged. The rads had
new TRVs fitted a couple of years ago so some draining down was done.

why the heck don't all plumbers fit and exterior drain point????
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/2014 15:43, DerbyBorn wrote:
A friend is having trouble getting his downstairs radiators hot. (Upstairs
it balanced down to a minimum)
A plmber has replaced the pump to no avail. Today he did a power flush but
he connected to a radiator flow and return. I had assumed that flushing was
normally done at the pump connectors.

If there is a blockage then I believe the pipes under the floor are the
problem.

Sould he be trying to connect the power flush into one radiator - and the
return into a different radiator?

We had our radiators balanced a couple of years ago as 1 radiator was
never getting as warm as all the others, but now it does.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/2014 16:53, DerbyBorn wrote:

why the heck don't all plumbers fit and exterior drain point????

Well, this *is* DIY - why don't *you*?

I've got drain lockshields on all my rads, making it easy to drain
individual rads without spilling any water. Since it's a vented system,
if I remove a rad to decorate behind it, I can put the drained water
back into the F&E tank so as not to lose the inhibitor.

That wouldn't apply if I were doing a system flush, of course.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/2014 15:43, DerbyBorn wrote:
A friend is having trouble getting his downstairs radiators hot. (Upstairs
it balanced down to a minimum)
A plmber has replaced the pump to no avail. Today he did a power flush but
he connected to a radiator flow and return. I had assumed that flushing was
normally done at the pump connectors.

If there is a blockage then I believe the pipes under the floor are the
problem.

Sould he be trying to connect the power flush into one radiator - and the
return into a different radiator?

So long as you isolate the various parts of the system so that you are
flushing each individual bit in sequence, it should not really matter.
The procedure is described he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...g_ Procedures

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

If Microbore (8/10mm) then blockage in the pipes is quite possible
especially if inhibitor wasnt added when the TRVs were installed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 6,
DerbyBorn writes:
Roger Mills wrote in
:

[...]

Sludge tends to collect in the slowest flow parts of the system
where it drops out out the flow, which are the radiators.

This is easy to diagnose - if the bottom of the radiator remains
colder than the radiator's return pipe when the system has warmed
up to steady state, then that's because the radiator is sludged up.

OTOH, if the radiator return pipe is also cool, then that implies
that the radiator has insufficient flow, possibly because the system
hasn't been correctly balanced, or because of a blockage in the
pipework or valves. Blockage in the stop valve (used to balance the
system) is not uncommon because they are often only open a crack.
Fully opening to clear this and then resetting back to the original
position can sometimes solve that.

new TRVs fitted a couple of years ago so some draining down was done.

why the heck don't all plumbers fit and exterior drain point????

Some probably do, but this is the type of quality you are more likely
to find in a good DIY system. I have two low points, and therefore 4
drain points (fitted in both flow and return), and they're all carried
outside (even though the drain cocks are not all outside).

If you take the radiators off to clean, bare in mind the sludge is a
potent black dye if spilled on a carpet or similar.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Flushing central heating system MuddyMike UK diy 7 March 4th 11 08:29 AM
Central Heating flushing. Mark UK diy 21 October 15th 07 05:13 PM
flushing central heating which additives? Bob UK diy 1 January 31st 07 08:26 PM
central heating power flushing rat UK diy 12 October 14th 05 05:04 PM
Central Heating Flushing David Couling UK diy 4 September 27th 03 12:02 PM