rat

Default central heating power flushing

Could any1 help?
I've bought myself a new condensing combi boiler,but before i fit the boiler
and get the plumber round to commission it.Is there anything i should need
to do to the old system.
I have had all the rads off,and replaced some of the locksheilds with
thermostatic valves.
Any advice would be greatly received.
Scezy

--s-p-o-n-i-x--

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 17:54:00 GMT, "rat"
wrote:

Could any1 help?
I've bought myself a new condensing combi boiler,but before i fit the boiler
and get the plumber round to commission it.Is there anything i should need
to do to the old system.
I have had all the rads off,and replaced some of the locksheilds with
thermostatic valves.
Any advice would be greatly received.

Put some "de-sludger" in the old system and run for a few weeks.

sponix
Doctor Drivel

"rat" wrote in message
Could any1 help?
I've bought myself a new condensing combi boiler,but before i fit the

boiler
and get the plumber round to commission it.Is there anything i should need
to do to the old system.
I have had all the rads off,and replaced some of the locksheilds with
thermostatic valves.
Any advice would be greatly received.
Scezy

You should fit a Sprirovent to the return to the boiler, it collects crap
and iron oxide. Also insert sludge remover and.drain, clean Spirovent
filter, fill and add inhibitor. Every few months clean the Spirovent filter
until clean enough, then once a year clean the filter.

You should have put de-sludger in before you changed the boiler.

Alex

If by the letter of the law you are a competent person to fit this
boiler,why the hell are you asking a diy group if we know the best way to do
this,by the way hope you are not my neighbour

rat

Thanks for everyone's advice,
I know there isn't allot of crap in the system,by what was in the rads.So if
i just add sludge remover and a Spirovent
and run the system as normal.
You don't think there's any need for a power flush.
scezy
"Alex" wrote in message
If by the letter of the law you are a competent person to fit this
boiler,why the hell are you asking a diy group if we know the best way to

do
this,by the way hope you are not my neighbour

Mr Fizzion

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 19:34:36 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

You should fit a Sprirovent to the return to the boiler, it collects crap
and iron oxide.

Is spirovent much better than a standard Y filter? What's the best
place to buy one? How large are they?

Mr F.

s--p--o--n--i--x

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 18:37:26 +0000 (UTC), "Alex"
wrote:

If by the letter of the law you are a competent person to fit this
boiler,why the hell are you asking a diy group if we know the best way to do
this,by the way hope you are not my neighbour

So..what is the point of this newsgroup if not to seek advice?

Surely, by getting advice from other DIYers shows that the OP is
taking a sensible approach to this and wants to avoid mistakes.

sponix
Doctor Drivel

wrote:

You should fit a Sprirovent to the return to the boiler, it collects crap
and iron oxide.

Is spirovent much better than a standard Y filter? What's the best
place to buy one? How large are they?

They are reasonably large but cam go undersinks, in cupboards etc. They
collect debris and there is a magnet there that collects iron oxide. One a
year remove as clean out. There are two isolation cocks. When changing a
boiler one of these should always be fitted to avoid any future problems
with sludge and blocking the boiler.

Just do a Google:
http://www.spirovent.co.uk

Aidan

Alex wrote:
If by the letter of the law you are a competent person to fit this
boiler,why the hell are you asking a diy group if we know the best way to do
this,by the way hope you are not my neighbour

What he wrote was;

".......but before i fit the boiler
and get the plumber round to commission it.Is there anything i should
need
to do to the old system."

If he does this the gas & flue side should be safe and approved by
someone suitably qualified by the letter of the law.

He is seeking advice on the water side, which CORGI registered persons
are not necessarily qualified or competent to be working on.

Do you have any good advice you can offer the man?

Doctor Drivel

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
eenews.net...

wrote:

You should fit a Sprirovent to the return to the boiler, it collects

crap
and iron oxide.

Is spirovent much better than a standard Y filter? What's the best
place to buy one? How large are they?

They are reasonably large but cam go undersinks, in cupboards etc. They
collect debris and there is a magnet there that collects iron oxide. One a
year remove as clean out. There are two isolation cocks. When changing a
boiler one of these should always be fitted to avoid any future problems
with sludge and blocking the boiler.

Just do a Google:
http://www.spirovent.co.uk

I prefer this:

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/1374-15134 Or
http://tinyurl.com/9eke5

rat

Thanks for the response and help.
Is there any1 else can give advice/help on choosing a filter.Looking at the
calmag but seem a little expensive.
Are they any good? http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/1374-15134 this is the link
for it,what do you think?
Cheers scezy

wrote:

You should fit a Sprirovent to the return to the boiler, it collects

crap
and iron oxide.

Is spirovent much better than a standard Y filter? What's the best
place to buy one? How large are they?

They are reasonably large but cam go undersinks, in cupboards etc. They
collect debris and there is a magnet there that collects iron oxide. One

year remove as clean out. There are two isolation cocks. When changing

boiler one of these should always be fitted to avoid any future problems
with sludge and blocking the boiler.

Just do a Google:
http://www.spirovent.co.uk

I prefer this:

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/1374-15134 Or
http://tinyurl.com/9eke5

Doctor Drivel

"rat" wrote in message
Thanks for the response and help.
Is there any1 else can give advice/help on choosing a filter.Looking at

the
calmag but seem a little expensive.
Are they any good? http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/1374-15134 this is the link
for it,what do you think?
Cheers scezy

Magnaclean. V good been out about 9 months. Well worth putting on the
return to the boiler, or the CH return to a thermal store. Initially empty
the first week, then every few months or so, then once a year.

Complicated central Heating; Back-Boiler and Combi-Boiler tfc715 UK diy 1 February 3rd 05 05:30 PM
15mm or 22mm copper pipe for central heating? simon_london UK diy 3 January 19th 04 03:43 PM
Hot Air Central Heating ron UK diy 6 January 17th 04 02:43 PM
Flushing a closed central heating system aris UK diy 1 October 17th 03 09:19 PM
Central Heating Flushing David Couling UK diy 4 September 27th 03 12:02 PM