Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Double/Triple outlet shaver sockets

I am pretty sure that this has been asked before, but perhaps things
have changed.

Is it possible to get a bathroom shaver socket with multiple outlets
that can be used at the same time? At the moment, I am simply looking
at installing 2 or 3 separate sockets, but it would be much neater if
this could all be contained in one box. I appreciate that each socket
will need its own isolating transformer. There seems to be a small gap
in the market here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB wrote:
I am pretty sure that this has been asked before, but perhaps things
have changed.

Is it possible to get a bathroom shaver socket with multiple outlets
that can be used at the same time? At the moment, I am simply looking
at installing 2 or 3 separate sockets, but it would be much neater if
this could all be contained in one box. I appreciate that each socket
will need its own isolating transformer. There seems to be a small gap
in the market here.

How often do you get two people shaving at the same time? ;-)

--
*Forget the Joneses, I keep us up with the Simpsons.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

In article ,
GB wrote:
I am pretty sure that this has been asked before, but perhaps things
have changed.

Is it possible to get a bathroom shaver socket with multiple outlets
that can be used at the same time? At the moment, I am simply looking
at installing 2 or 3 separate sockets, but it would be much neater if
this could all be contained in one box. I appreciate that each socket
will need its own isolating transformer. There seems to be a small gap
in the market here.

How often do you get two people shaving at the same time? ;-)

We have two electric toothbrushes, plus a waterpik. At the moment, I
seems to be constantly juggling the plugs around.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've always been mystified about bathroom shaver sockets etc. Why would one
need seperate transformers? also if this is needed why do they sell shaver
adaptors that convert 13amp outlets to shaver adaptors without a
transformer. After all you find such sockets in Kitchens, and kitchens have
water as well as batchrooms.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"GB" wrote in message
I am pretty sure that this has been asked before, but perhaps things have
changed.

Is it possible to get a bathroom shaver socket with multiple outlets that
can be used at the same time? At the moment, I am simply looking at
installing 2 or 3 separate sockets, but it would be much neater if this
could all be contained in one box. I appreciate that each socket will
need its own isolating transformer. There seems to be a small gap in the
market here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I've always been mystified about bathroom shaver sockets etc. Why would
one need seperate transformers? also if this is needed why do they sell
shaver adaptors that convert 13amp outlets to shaver adaptors without a
transformer. After all you find such sockets in Kitchens, and kitchens
have water as well as batchrooms.

Kitchens tend not to have naked wet people in them.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Mar 2014 12:25:41 +0000, GB wrote:

In article ,
GB wrote:
I am pretty sure that this has been asked before, but perhaps things
have changed.

Is it possible to get a bathroom shaver socket with multiple outlets
that can be used at the same time? At the moment, I am simply looking
at installing 2 or 3 separate sockets, but it would be much neater if
this could all be contained in one box. I appreciate that each socket
will need its own isolating transformer. There seems to be a small gap
in the market here.

How often do you get two people shaving at the same time? ;-)

We have two electric toothbrushes, plus a waterpik. At the moment, I
seems to be constantly juggling the plugs around.

Just wire all 3 into one plug?

Gets coat

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
I am pretty sure that this has been asked before, but perhaps things have
changed.

Is it possible to get a bathroom shaver socket with multiple outlets that
can be used at the same time? At the moment, I am simply looking at
installing 2 or 3 separate sockets, but it would be much neater if this
could all be contained in one box. I appreciate that each socket will
need its own isolating transformer. There seems to be a small gap in the
market here.

MK do a double shaver/toothbrush socket - K701

http://tinyurl.com/kgnbr2p

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian I think the difference is that in a kitchen you may have your hands wet whilst handling electrical equipment, whereas in a bathroom you could be standing stark bollock naked wet all over in a pool of water in a cast iron bath like a lightening conductor providing a perfect route to earth.

Back to OP, most of the shaver sockets provide a 230v and 115v socket and most shavers and toothbrushes will happily operate on either so you can plug two devices in.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
GB wrote:
I am pretty sure that this has been asked before, but perhaps things
have changed.

Is it possible to get a bathroom shaver socket with multiple outlets
that can be used at the same time? At the moment, I am simply looking
at installing 2 or 3 separate sockets, but it would be much neater if
this could all be contained in one box. I appreciate that each socket
will need its own isolating transformer. There seems to be a small gap
in the market here.

How often do you get two people shaving at the same time? ;-)

Well there was last night........
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
GB wrote:
I am pretty sure that this has been asked before, but perhaps things
have changed.

Is it possible to get a bathroom shaver socket with multiple outlets
that can be used at the same time? At the moment, I am simply looking
at installing 2 or 3 separate sockets, but it would be much neater if
this could all be contained in one box. I appreciate that each socket
will need its own isolating transformer. There seems to be a small gap
in the market here.

How often do you get two people shaving at the same time? ;-)

but you might want to charge two toothbrushes at the same time.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 02/03/2014 13:01, Andy Bartlett wrote:
"GB" wrote in message
I am pretty sure that this has been asked before, but perhaps things have
changed.

Is it possible to get a bathroom shaver socket with multiple outlets that
can be used at the same time? At the moment, I am simply looking at
installing 2 or 3 separate sockets, but it would be much neater if this
could all be contained in one box. I appreciate that each socket will
need its own isolating transformer. There seems to be a small gap in the
market here.

MK do a double shaver/toothbrush socket - K701

http://tinyurl.com/kgnbr2p

Andy

Most of the dual voltage ones will only operate one of the sockets at a
time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I've always been mystified about bathroom shaver sockets etc. Why would
one need seperate transformers? also if this is needed why do they sell
shaver adaptors that convert 13amp outlets to shaver adaptors without a
transformer. After all you find such sockets in Kitchens, and kitchens
have water as well as batchrooms.

Kitchens tend not to have naked wet people in them.

And i thought you were a 'modern' type of bloke, you havent lived till
you've done it on the cooker top... tho she did moan about the imprints from
the pan stands in her arse for weeks after

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I've always been mystified about bathroom shaver sockets etc. Why
would one need seperate transformers? also if this is needed why do
they sell shaver adaptors that convert 13amp outlets to shaver
adaptors without a transformer. After all you find such sockets in
Kitchens, and kitchens have water as well as batchrooms.

Kitchens tend not to have naked wet people in them.

Well there was last night........

--
*Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Back to OP, most of the shaver sockets provide a 230v and 115v socket
and most shavers and toothbrushes will happily operate on either so
you can plug two devices in.

Buying alert: sadly no longer true of Oral B toothbrushes as we
discovered with the warranty replacement Triumph 5000 we received last
year for a 4000 which was dual voltage. Braun seem to have stopped
selling dual voltage (other than the Pulsonic range) despite the many
complaints from both sides of the pond.

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote:

most of the shaver sockets provide a 230v and 115v socket and most
shavers and toothbrushes will happily operate on either so you can
plug two devices in.

I think the MK ones (perhaps others too) switch off the 230V socket when
you plug into the 115V one, and vice-versa.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2014 14:07, Gazz wrote:

"ARW" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I've always been mystified about bathroom shaver sockets etc. Why
would one need seperate transformers? also if this is needed why do
they sell shaver adaptors that convert 13amp outlets to shaver
adaptors without a transformer. After all you find such sockets in
Kitchens, and kitchens have water as well as batchrooms.

Kitchens tend not to have naked wet people in them.

And i thought you were a 'modern' type of bloke, you havent lived
till you've done it on the cooker top... tho she did moan about the
imprints from the pan stands in her arse for weeks after

Well you should have turned the gas off first!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
I am pretty sure that this has been asked before, but perhaps things
have changed.

Is it possible to get a bathroom shaver socket with multiple outlets
that can be used at the same time? At the moment, I am simply looking
at installing 2 or 3 separate sockets, but it would be much neater if
this could all be contained in one box. I appreciate that each socket
will need its own isolating transformer. There seems to be a small gap
in the market here.

How often do you get two people shaving at the same time? ;-)

Well there was last night........
--
Adam

You realise you are dicing with death?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
How often do you get two people shaving at the same time? ;-)

but you might want to charge two toothbrushes at the same time.

Then you don't need transformer isolated sockets.

--
*Of course I'm against sin; I'm against anything that I'm too old to enjoy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2014 12:50, ARW wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I've always been mystified about bathroom shaver sockets etc. Why
would one need seperate transformers? also if this is needed why do
they sell shaver adaptors that convert 13amp outlets to shaver
adaptors without a transformer. After all you find such sockets in
Kitchens, and kitchens have water as well as batchrooms.

Kitchens tend not to have naked wet people in them.

Even yours? g
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2014 11:17, GB wrote:
I am pretty sure that this has been asked before, but perhaps things
have changed.

Is it possible to get a bathroom shaver socket with multiple outlets
that can be used at the same time? At the moment, I am simply looking at
installing 2 or 3 separate sockets, but it would be much neater if this
could all be contained in one box. I appreciate that each socket will
need its own isolating transformer. There seems to be a small gap in the
market here.

I've got a 2-pin 3-way adapter which I think I bought in Indonesia.
Dunno whether you can get them here. I've only ever used two outlets at
a time - for a mains radio and charging a toothbrush - but I don't see
why it wouldn't run an electric razor at the same time if I were to use one.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-03-02, ARW wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I've always been mystified about bathroom shaver sockets etc. Why would
one need seperate transformers? also if this is needed why do they sell
shaver adaptors that convert 13amp outlets to shaver adaptors without a
transformer. After all you find such sockets in Kitchens, and kitchens
have water as well as batchrooms.

Kitchens tend not to have naked wet people in them.

Coincidentally, I used to know a naturist electrician.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Adam Funk
writes
On 2014-03-02, ARW wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I've always been mystified about bathroom shaver sockets etc. Why would
one need seperate transformers? also if this is needed why do they sell
shaver adaptors that convert 13amp outlets to shaver adaptors without a
transformer. After all you find such sockets in Kitchens, and kitchens
have water as well as batchrooms.

Kitchens tend not to have naked wet people in them.

Coincidentally, I used to know a naturist electrician.

Let me guess, the customers were completely unphased :-?
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2014 11:17, GB wrote:
I am pretty sure that this has been asked before, but perhaps things
have changed.

Is it possible to get a bathroom shaver socket with multiple outlets
that can be used at the same time? At the moment, I am simply looking
at installing 2 or 3 separate sockets, but it would be much neater if
this could all be contained in one box. I appreciate that each socket
will need its own isolating transformer. There seems to be a small gap
in the market here

Google for:

EU Europe 240v mains socket splitter 1x Schuko plug to 2x Europlug sockets

It might work!

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 02/03/2014 23:50, Michael Chare wrote:
On 02/03/2014 11:17, GB wrote:
I am pretty sure that this has been asked before, but perhaps things
have changed.

Is it possible to get a bathroom shaver socket with multiple outlets
that can be used at the same time? At the moment, I am simply looking
at installing 2 or 3 separate sockets, but it would be much neater if
this could all be contained in one box. I appreciate that each socket
will need its own isolating transformer. There seems to be a small gap
in the market here

Google for:

EU Europe 240v mains socket splitter 1x Schuko plug to 2x Europlug sockets

It might work!

I take it that that is not approved for UK bathrooms?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB wrote:
EU Europe 240v mains socket splitter 1x Schuko plug to 2x Europlug
sockets

It might work!

I take it that that is not approved for UK bathrooms?

Do the regs requiring a galvanic isolated supply in a bathroom still apply
where RCD house protection exists? At least some regs have been changed
with this.

--
*If your feet smell and your nose runs, you're built upside down.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Gazz writes

"ARW" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I've always been mystified about bathroom shaver sockets etc. Why
would one need seperate transformers? also if this is needed why do
they sell shaver adaptors that convert 13amp outlets to shaver
adaptors without a transformer. After all you find such sockets in
Kitchens, and kitchens have water as well as batchrooms.

Kitchens tend not to have naked wet people in them.

And i thought you were a 'modern' type of bloke, you havent lived
till you've done it on the cooker top... tho she did moan about the
imprints from the pan stands in her arse for weeks after

That's why they've introduced touch controls instead of knobs.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, March 3, 2014 11:16:22 AM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
GB wrote:

EU Europe 240v mains socket splitter 1x Schuko plug to 2x Europlug
sockets

It might work!

I take it that that is not approved for UK bathrooms?

Do the regs requiring a galvanic isolated supply in a bathroom still apply
where RCD house protection exists? At least some regs have been changed
with this.

When an iso transformer is fed from rcd, its secondary output has no rcd protection. Connecting 3 items to one ouput does therefore increase the shock risk some.

It might be easier to plug tghe toothbrushes into a simple adaptor outside the bathroom.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Do the regs requiring a galvanic isolated supply in a bathroom still apply
where RCD house protection exists? At least some regs have been changed
with this.

When an iso transformer is fed from rcd, its secondary output has no rcd
protection. Connecting 3 items to one ouput does therefore increase the
shock risk some.

Which was why I asked if transformer isolated shaver sockets are still
required on a new build with RCD protection.

BTW, I used to work in TV studios, and before RCDs any non 'approved'
mains equipment - like say a musicians' amplifier - was always fed via an
isolating transformer. And each such amplifier had its own transformer -
no sharing allowed. The reason being simple. If you parallel two bits of
gear from the same transformer, and one has an 'L1' to case short, the
other an 'L2' to case short and you touch both you get the full 240v. Now
obviously two such faults are rare, but you have to allow for them.

It might be easier to plug tghe toothbrushes into a simple adaptor
outside the bathroom.

I have a charging 'station' in the tank cupboard in my bathroom.

--
*Why do psychics have to ask you for your name? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 Mar 2014 10:14:52 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
[...]

I know of no electric toothbrushes that use a direct galvanic
connection to the mains. They're either battery powered using
disposable primary cells (AA) or else chargable from an inductive
charging stand so you can discount the 110v toothbrush shock hazard.

This leaves (as it says on the tin) just the question of mains
powered shavers. In this case, as per the guitar amplifiers, there
remains the unlikely possibility of two people both using electric
shavers from a twin outlet shaver socket recieving an electric shock
via body contact _and_ both shavers being faulty as well.

The voltage hazard in this case being 110v, far less likely to prove
fatal (especially in this case of a "Buddy System" where it's more
than likely that at least one of the victims will shrug off the
effects quickly enough to assist the other).

If I was fitting such a shaver socket, I'd choose the much safer
option of a transformer that uses a centre tapped secondary winding
with the centre tap connected to earth. This limits the max live to
earth voltage to a mere 55vac rms, much less hazardous again.

It's still true that two people shaving from a double outlet
connected to such a transformer could, in the right (wrong?)
circumstances still experience a 110v shock (i.e. no worse than
before) but the more likely fault when only a single person is shaving
will reduce the shock voltage wrt earth.

The only way for someone to recieve a full 110v live to live shock
would be for the shaver to 'fall apart in their hand' exposing them to
two close spaced points of contact in said appendage with most of the
current confined to the local area. Any residual current across the
chest because they had been using their other hand to keep a tight
grip on a handy earthed 'grab rail' would be considerably reduced over
what they would experience with a simple 55vac live contact and no
worse (other than as a brief transient event when 'letting go').

I don't know what the VA requirements are for a typical shaver but
I'd imagine a single 50VA isolating transformer with centre tapped
110v secondary could power 2 or 3 shaver sockets wired in parallel
(once you're using the 'safe option' of a 55-0-55 vac transformer - if
it's good enough to allow the use of 110v power tools on an exposed to
the elements building site, it's equally as good for 'wet room' use),
there's no point in trying to galvanically isolate the sockets by
providing a seperate transformer for each.

If you want to make the system even safer by guarding against such
unintended live to live contacts between the sockets, you could go to
the expense of individual RCD breakers in each live feed (seperate
transformers won't make this any simpler) which, on the face of it
would require 6 such breakers for three sockets (there may interlocked
3 socket RCD/ELCB modules available, specifically for this usage case
but I doubt it).

Let's face it, it's only "Darwin Award Seekers" who are at risk of
the 'worse case 110v shock hazard scenario where the idiot in question
fails to notice that the shaver casing is on the point of 'exploding
in his hand' due to broken/damaged casing retention clips/missing
screws (and, at a mere 110v, the 'candidate' is unlikely to suffer
electrocution even then).
--
Regards, J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Johny B Good wrote:
I know of no electric toothbrushes that use a direct galvanic
connection to the mains. They're either battery powered using
disposable primary cells (AA) or else chargable from an inductive
charging stand so you can discount the 110v toothbrush shock hazard.

The first electric toothbrushes I saw were the same as a mains razor - no
batteries.

This leaves (as it says on the tin) just the question of mains
powered shavers. In this case, as per the guitar amplifiers, there
remains the unlikely possibility of two people both using electric
shavers from a twin outlet shaver socket recieving an electric shock
via body contact _and_ both shavers being faulty as well.

The whole idea of safety measures like this is to provide for all possible
eventualities.

The voltage hazard in this case being 110v, far less likely to prove
fatal (especially in this case of a "Buddy System" where it's more
than likely that at least one of the victims will shrug off the
effects quickly enough to assist the other).

110v? Most UK transformer isolated outlets are dual voltage - but you'd
have to assume the worst, ie the 240v one will be used. otherwise, why
provide it?

If I was fitting such a shaver socket, I'd choose the much safer
option of a transformer that uses a centre tapped secondary winding
with the centre tap connected to earth. This limits the max live to
earth voltage to a mere 55vac rms, much less hazardous again.

A 'mere' 55v is enough to kill under certain conditions - and by centre
grounding you've doubled the chance of an electric shock at one stroke.

[...]

Most builders don't work naked. Except in some films, of course. ;-)

If you want to make the system even safer by guarding against such
unintended live to live contacts between the sockets, you could go to
the expense of individual RCD breakers in each live feed (seperate
transformers won't make this any simpler) which, on the face of it
would require 6 such breakers for three sockets (there may interlocked
3 socket RCD/ELCB modules available, specifically for this usage case
but I doubt it).

One RCD protecting the circuit would do. Unless there is a life support
device run from it too. ;-)

Let's face it, it's only "Darwin Award Seekers" who are at risk of
the 'worse case 110v shock hazard scenario where the idiot in question
fails to notice that the shaver casing is on the point of 'exploding
in his hand' due to broken/damaged casing retention clips/missing
screws (and, at a mere 110v, the 'candidate' is unlikely to suffer
electrocution even then).

You either provide for idiots or you don't. The snag is an isolated shaver
socket was designed for just that. Not the multitude of tasks you may need
electricity for in a modern bathroom.

--
*I'm not a paranoid, deranged millionaire. Dammit, I'm a billionaire.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 11:26:45 AM UTC, Johny B Good wrote:
On Tue, 04 Mar 2014 10:14:52 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

Do the regs requiring a galvanic isolated supply in a bathroom still apply
where RCD house protection exists? At least some regs have been changed
with this.

When an iso transformer is fed from rcd, its secondary output has no rcd
protection. Connecting 3 items to one ouput does therefore increase the
shock risk some.

Which was why I asked if transformer isolated shaver sockets are still
required on a new build with RCD protection.

snip

I know of no electric toothbrushes that use a direct galvanic
connection to the mains. They're either battery powered using
disposable primary cells (AA) or else chargable from an inductive
charging stand so you can discount the 110v toothbrush shock hazard.

I dont see how the chargers would be immune to causing shock.

This leaves (as it says on the tin) just the question of mains
powered shavers. In this case, as per the guitar amplifiers, there
remains the unlikely possibility of two people both using electric
shavers from a twin outlet shaver socket recieving an electric shock
via body contact _and_ both shavers being faulty as well.
The voltage hazard in this case being 110v, far less likely to prove
fatal (especially in this case of a "Buddy System" where it's more
than likely that at least one of the victims will shrug off the
effects quickly enough to assist the other).

its normally 240v, though I guess for electronic shavers you could preset the socket to deliver 110 only

If I was fitting such a shaver socket, I'd choose the much safer
option of a transformer that uses a centre tapped secondary winding
with the centre tap connected to earth. This limits the max live to
earth voltage to a mere 55vac rms, much less hazardous again.

then any single fault gives a shock. You'd be better off adding an RCD on the output side

It's still true that two people shaving from a double outlet
connected to such a transformer could, in the right (wrong?)
circumstances still experience a 110v shock (i.e. no worse than
before) but the more likely fault when only a single person is shaving
will reduce the shock voltage wrt earth.
The only way for someone to recieve a full 110v live to live shock
would be for the shaver to 'fall apart in their hand' exposing them to
two close spaced points of contact in said appendage with most of the
current confined to the local area. Any residual current across the
chest because they had been using their other hand to keep a tight
grip on a handy earthed 'grab rail' would be considerably reduced over
what they would experience with a simple 55vac live contact and no
worse (other than as a brief transient event when 'letting go').

a lot more likely is an appliance getting wet or a mains lead falling out into the water, and a hand in/on the water/sink/tap

I don't know what the VA requirements are for a typical shaver but
I'd imagine a single 50VA isolating transformer with centre tapped
110v secondary could power 2 or 3 shaver sockets wired in parallel

single shaver transformers are usually 20VA

(once you're using the 'safe option' of a 55-0-55 vac transformer - if
it's good enough to allow the use of 110v power tools on an exposed to
the elements building site, it's equally as good for 'wet room' use),

builders dont stand naked on wet floors or in the bath handling mains leads that drop out. Least not afaik

there's no point in trying to galvanically isolate the sockets by
providing a seperate transformer for each.
If you want to make the system even safer by guarding against such
unintended live to live contacts between the sockets, you could go to
the expense of individual RCD breakers in each live feed (seperate
transformers won't make this any simpler) which, on the face of it
would require 6 such breakers for three sockets (there may interlocked
3 socket RCD/ELCB modules available, specifically for this usage case
but I doubt it).

thats just confused

Let's face it, it's only "Darwin Award Seekers" who are at risk of
the 'worse case 110v shock hazard scenario where the idiot in question
fails to notice that the shaver casing is on the point of 'exploding
in his hand' due to broken/damaged casing retention clips/missing
screws (and, at a mere 110v, the 'candidate' is unlikely to suffer
electrocution even then).

I dont think you need be an award seeker to have a mains lead fall out.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

writes
On 2014-03-02, ARW wrote:

Kitchens tend not to have naked wet people in them.

Coincidentally, I used to know a naturist electrician.

Let me guess, the customers were completely unphased :-?

Brilliant!

In fact, it wasn't until he & his wife told us they were naturists (in
a non-professional capacity) that we realized why it took them a long
time to answer the door & they kept their house really warm.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-03-03, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
GB wrote:
EU Europe 240v mains socket splitter 1x Schuko plug to 2x Europlug
sockets

It might work!

I take it that that is not approved for UK bathrooms?

Do the regs requiring a galvanic isolated supply in a bathroom still apply
where RCD house protection exists? At least some regs have been changed
with this.

By "at least some regs" do you mean foreign ones?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adam Funk wrote:
Do the regs requiring a galvanic isolated supply in a bathroom still
apply where RCD house protection exists? At least some regs have been
changed with this.

By "at least some regs" do you mean foreign ones?

No - UK ones. 'Zones' in bathrooms. Bonding, etc. I think. Not that I've
ever read them - just hear about them here.

--
*Thank you. We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-03-05, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Adam Funk wrote:
Do the regs requiring a galvanic isolated supply in a bathroom still
apply where RCD house protection exists? At least some regs have been
changed with this.

By "at least some regs" do you mean foreign ones?

No - UK ones. 'Zones' in bathrooms. Bonding, etc. I think. Not that I've
ever read them - just hear about them here.

OK, I was just wondering because AFAICT the rule banning
non-shaver-sockets is still in force in the zones, even with the
advent of RCDs.

Does anyone know if any other countries require special socket formats
(as opposed to RCD protection) in bathrooms?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-03-04, Johny B Good wrote:

I know of no electric toothbrushes that use a direct galvanic
connection to the mains. They're either battery powered using
disposable primary cells (AA) or else chargable from an inductive
charging stand so you can discount the 110v toothbrush shock hazard.

I bought an electric toothbrush recently & noticed the contactless
charger --- is that a regulatory requirement? (I also wonder if the
inductive charging is why it takes so long to charge up fully.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-03-04, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

It might be easier to plug tghe toothbrushes into a simple adaptor
outside the bathroom.

I have a charging 'station' in the tank cupboard in my bathroom.

Is it still the case (as an electrician told me some years ago) that
you can get around the rules on sockets in bathrooms by putting a
normal socket in the airing cupboard?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2014-03-04, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

It might be easier to plug tghe toothbrushes into a simple adaptor
outside the bathroom.

I have a charging 'station' in the tank cupboard in my bathroom.

Is it still the case (as an electrician told me some years ago) that
you can get around the rules on sockets in bathrooms by putting a
normal socket in the airing cupboard?

my airing cupboard is nowhere near the bathroom.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Funk wrote:
Do the regs requiring a galvanic isolated supply in a bathroom still
apply where RCD house protection exists? At least some regs have been
changed with this.

By "at least some regs" do you mean foreign ones?

No - UK ones. 'Zones' in bathrooms. Bonding, etc. I think. Not that I've
ever read them - just hear about them here.

These zones:-)?

http://www.willetttechnicalservices....hroomzones.pdf

--
Adam

shaver sockets and bathroom bonding Fred UK diy 9 October 18th 10 07:52 PM
Old double vs new triple glazing seani UK diy 5 March 14th 10 10:10 PM
Why are most shaver sockets dual voltage? Willi UK diy 53 March 19th 06 05:16 PM
Shaver Sockets Shona Honeyman UK diy 11 October 29th 05 02:04 PM
Shaver sockets Rob Griffiths UK diy 17 November 27th 04 02:07 PM