Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Double/Triple outlet shaver sockets

In article ,
GB wrote:
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

To get the same safety, you need one isolating transformer per
outlet.

What's the logic of that? Obviously without a transformer you only need
to touch live terminal [and have a path to earth] to get a shock, with a
single outlet on a transformer, touching one terminal won't give you a
shock, only touching both terminals. So if there are two outlets, how
are you more likely to touch both sides of the transformer output?

You don't need an isolating transformer if you're not in any danger of
touching one of the 'terminals'. It is used to make that fault less
dangerous. If you have two appliances both with faults on the same iso
tranny not too difficult to see how you could touch both terminals.

Surely, the whole thing could be replaced with a suitably sensitive RCD?

Of course. But iso trannys have been around since long before RCDs became
practical.

--
*Toilet stolen from police station. Cops have nothing to go on.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"GB" wrote in message
On 03/07/2016 14:29, wrote:
On Sunday, 2 March 2014 13:02:39 UTC, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Brian I think the difference is that in a kitchen you may have your
hands wet whilst handling electrical equipment, whereas in a bathroom
you could be standing stark bollock naked wet all over in a pool of
water in a cast iron bath like a lightening conductor providing a
perfect route to earth.

Back to OP, most of the shaver sockets provide a 230v and 115v socket
and most shavers and toothbrushes will happily operate on either so you
can plug two devices in.

Richard

YOU CANNOT operate two devices at the same time, because there is a
mechanism within the dual socket that prevents you from doing that by
closing the unused port when you plug the first device in. Someone should
produce a simple double socket that simply plugs into the shaver point
and supplies power to two points simultaneously so that people like me
can have their electric toothbrush, waterpik and/or shaver charging at
the same time.

This makes me wonder whether shaver sockets with an isolation transformer
are needed at all? They pre-date ELCBs and RCDs.

I have installed two shaver sockets in our bathroom, and really we need a
third. We get by because DW and I share an electric toothbrush (just
changing the brush head, which we only started doing because the dental
hygienist insisted).

Then try shaving at different times:-)
--
Adam

shaver sockets and bathroom bonding Fred UK diy 9 October 18th 10 07:52 PM
Old double vs new triple glazing seani UK diy 5 March 14th 10 10:10 PM
Why are most shaver sockets dual voltage? Willi UK diy 53 March 19th 06 05:16 PM
Shaver Sockets Shona Honeyman UK diy 11 October 29th 05 02:04 PM
Shaver sockets Rob Griffiths UK diy 17 November 27th 04 02:07 PM