Posted to uk.d-i-y
Willi

Default Why are most shaver sockets dual voltage?

Out of interest, does anyone know why in most homes/fittings in the uk are
the shaver points dual voltage. i.e. 115 & 240 when all shavers I have ever
seen sold in the uk are 240v
Regards, Will

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 19:47:26 -0000, "Willi"
wrote:

Out of interest, does anyone know why in most homes/fittings in the uk are
the shaver points dual voltage. i.e. 115 & 240 when all shavers I have ever
seen sold in the uk are 240v
Regards, Will

Because you might have an American visitor.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

wrote:

Out of interest, does anyone know why in most homes/fittings in the uk are
the shaver points dual voltage. i.e. 115 & 240 when all shavers I have ever
seen sold in the uk are 240v
Regards, Will

Most shaver sockets are fitted in hotels and other places occupied by
visitors who may well be from countries where 115v is the norm.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills \(aka Set Square\)

Willi wrote:

Out of interest, does anyone know why in most homes/fittings in the
uk are the shaver points dual voltage. i.e. 115 & 240 when all
shavers I have ever seen sold in the uk are 240v
Regards, Will

You might have American visitors!

Since, being in a bathroom, they have to have an isolating transformer, it's
very easy to provide a 110v tapping.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Willi" writes:
Out of interest, does anyone know why in most homes/fittings in the uk are
the shaver points dual voltage. i.e. 115 & 240 when all shavers I have ever
seen sold in the uk are 240v

Mine have all been dual voltage or wide range, 100-250V.

I noticed in the instructions for a shaver socket it says
wide range devices (typically chargers with SMPSU) should
be used on the 120V side, as they often draw very little
current, and the offload output voltage of a shaver socket
can be up to 270V.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Frank Erskine contains these words:

I draw the line at a "cut-throat" razor :-) The Gillette Mach 3 Turbo
is my current favourite, with "Body Shop" Shave Cream.

I use hair-conditioner and a wet razor - conditioner's much slipperier
than soap and doesn't make my face feel like I'm wearing Michael
Jackson's face all day.

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

Guy King typed

I use hair-conditioner and a wet razor - conditioner's much slipperier
than soap and doesn't make my face feel like I'm wearing Michael
Jackson's face all day.

So *that's* why you don't look like him all day...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

I draw the line at a "cut-throat" razor :-) The Gillette Mach 3 Turbo
is my current favourite, with "Body Shop" Shave Cream.

Have you tried the new M3Power with the battery operated vibrating blade? I
bought one recently as they'd sold out of conventional Mach 3s. Very
sceptical, but utterly converted. Gets much closer and actually hurts less.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 00:26:37 +0000 (UTC), Frank Erskine wrote:

I draw the line at a "cut-throat" razor :-) The Gillette Mach 3 Turbo
is my current favourite, with "Body Shop" Shave Cream.

I use disposables, Gillette Blue II Slalom. Are the ones with
disposable blades worth the extra cost?

I can recommend King Of Shaves gel.

--
Nigel M

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Willi wrote:
Out of interest, does anyone know why in most homes/fittings in the
uk are the shaver points dual voltage. i.e. 115 & 240 when all
shavers I have ever seen sold in the uk are 240v
Regards, Will

Most shavers can be switched between 240v and 110v and has been said you
might have a yank visiting or you might visit a yank in which case you can
switch you're shaver to suit their supply. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Downie

Christian McArdle wrote:
I draw the line at a "cut-throat" razor :-) The Gillette Mach 3 Turbo
is my current favourite, with "Body Shop" Shave Cream.

Have you tried the new M3Power with the battery operated vibrating
blade? I bought one recently as they'd sold out of conventional Mach
3s. Very sceptical, but utterly converted. Gets much closer and
actually hurts less.

But still not a patch on Wilkinson Sword Quattro blades.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

so only the dual voltage versions are made.

I should say that single voltage versions WITHOUT the safety isolator
transformer are available for a fraction of the cost. However, these are not
suitable for bathrooms, limiting their potential uses.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 00:26:37 +0000 (UTC), Frank Erskine wrote:

I draw the line at a "cut-throat" razor :-) The Gillette Mach 3 Turbo
is my current favourite, with "Body Shop" Shave Cream.

I use disposables, Gillette Blue II Slalom. Are the ones with
disposable blades worth the extra cost?

In some cases the blades are identical. I use the blades from twin
swivel disposables in a nicely balanced metal Gillette (forget what
model but it's a few years old now). The heavier handle and a decent
shaving gel are worth more than the higher cost of "disposable" blades
to fit the handle.

Razors are like ink-jet printers. The sell you the razor with a couple
of blades then rip you off for the consumables.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:57:12 -0000, Christian McArdle wrote:

I had to use a Gillette Blue II at my mum's because I forgot my
razor. Next time I forget I'll use a wire brush in a power drill.

Was it a new one? I nearly killed my wife after she used my razor for
her legs, then put it back.

--
Nigel M

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
I had to use a Gillette Blue II at my mum's because I forgot my
razor. Next time I forget I'll use a wire brush in a power drill.

Was it a new one?

Yes. I popped out to the petrol station to buy a bag. I have particularly
sensitive skin, though. I'm sure some people can cope with them.

Why do you shave?

I can't understand why any man doesn't want to look like a man. Not shaving
saves time, money and pain :-)

Mary

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 15:55:37 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

Why do you shave?

Because otherwise he would grow a beard!

fx: wipes feet Dirty! Dirty! Dirty!

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 00:54:42 GMT, wrote:

On 13 Mar,
Frank Erskine wrote:

Although I do somewhere have an eclectic razor, I always prefer a
conventional manual "wet" razor, being faster and more thorough than
any powered one.

I draw the line at a "cut-throat" razor :-) The Gillette Mach 3 Turbo
is my current favourite, with "Body Shop" Shave Cream.

What happened to your facial fungal appendage?

See above.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Yes. I popped out to the petrol station to buy a bag. I have
particularly sensitive skin, though. I'm sure some people can
cope with them.

Why do you shave?

Because I'd look like an itchy hermit with a personal hygiene problem.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Mannix

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
I had to use a Gillette Blue II at my mum's because I forgot my
razor. Next time I forget I'll use a wire brush in a power drill.

Was it a new one?

Yes. I popped out to the petrol station to buy a bag. I have particularly
sensitive skin, though. I'm sure some people can cope with them.

Why do you shave?

I can't understand why any man doesn't want to look like a man. Not
shaving saves time, money and pain :-)

The beard goes grey first (

Other newsgroups have mugshot galleries eg uk.rec.walking ( I last shaved
on March 10 1975):

http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/urw/mg/mg.html

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:03:34 -0000, Bob Mannix wrote:

Other newsgroups have mugshot galleries

http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/urw/mg/emmanuelle.html

I want that wun.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Mannix

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:03:34 -0000, Bob Mannix wrote:

Other newsgroups have mugshot galleries

http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/urw/mg/emmanuelle.html

I want that wun.

Strangely, never known to post anything!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
Yes. I popped out to the petrol station to buy a bag. I have
particularly sensitive skin, though. I'm sure some people can
cope with them.

Why do you shave?

Because I'd look like an itchy hermit with a personal hygiene problem.

I don't understand that answer ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

I can't understand why any man doesn't want to look like a man. Not
shaving saves time, money and pain :-)

The beard goes grey first (

Nothing wrong with that.

Other newsgroups have mugshot galleries eg uk.rec.walking ( I last
shaved on March 10 1975):

http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/urw/mg/mg.html

Great! Proves my point :-)

I'd be happy to provide a mug shot for a d-i-y gallery.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Why do you shave?

Because I'd look like an itchy hermit with a personal hygiene problem.

I don't understand that answer ...

I missed out an "otherwise".

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
Why do you shave?

Because I'd look like an itchy hermit with a personal hygiene problem.

I don't understand that answer ...

I missed out an "otherwise".

ah - I understand, thanks.

Hmm.

Do you mean that you think all men with beards look like that or would it
just be you?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:25:24 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

Do you mean that you think all men with beards look like that

Beards are evil. If you need any proof, go to:

http://www.beards.org/

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Why do you shave?

I can't understand why any man doesn't want to look like a man. Not shaving
saves time, money and pain :-)

Beards are tickly and irritating - but have the advantage of being a
source of unexpected snacks and forgotten trifles.

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message .com
from contains these words:

I use hair-conditioner and a wet razor

eew !

Mostly 'cos it's handy in the shower.

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Nigel Molesworth contains these words:

Beards are evil. If you need any proof, go to:

http://www.beards.org/

They do seem associated with mad stary eyes, innit.

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mungo

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 15:55:37 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

Why do you shave?

Because otherwise he would grow a beard!

And what's wrong with a beard, Nigel?
I do the manly thing and grow the facial fuzz. Makes me sound heroic
until you
find out that I grow the beard in the winter because it keeps my chin
nice and
warm!

Of more importance, why are there more than a dozen shaver sockets
advertised
on Screwfix - makes the job of choosing the perfect one for the new
en-suite tricky.
(I'm installing said socket as a summer contingency in case anyone
asks).

Mungo :-)

P.S. American in-laws decided to brave air-travel and come visit sunny
Scotland a year
or so ago. They bought one of those "adaptor" plugs for some mains
electrical
appliance and when the device failed to work they asked me if I could
help.
Yes: the device just did a pin conversion, not a pin-and-voltage. So
some nice little
115 volt gadget got the full 240 volt treatment (whose peak is 330v or
so if I remember
correctly that you multiple the value by the square root of two) : bang.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
Do you mean that you think all men with beards look like that or would it
just be you?

Most. Some look fine and well kept, but look like they take about 10 times
as long to maintain than shaving.

?

Spouse's is washed when his face is washed, combed immediately afterwards.
That's it.

Those silly ones which are 'sculptored' or unnaturally shaped are simply
daft.

'Designer stubble' always looks scruffy.

A bare upper lip with a beard looks weak and puzzles me.

A proper set can't be beaten by anything else!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from Nigel Molesworth contains these words:

Beards are evil. If you need any proof, go to:

http://www.beards.org/

They do seem associated with mad stary eyes, innit.

Isn't that more a function of the people themselves and the fact that
they're showing off for the camera?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

I can't understand why any man doesn't want to look like a man. Not
shaving saves time, money and pain :-)

The beard goes grey first (

Nothing wrong with that.

Other newsgroups have mugshot galleries eg uk.rec.walking ( I last
shaved on March 10 1975):

http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/urw/mg/mg.html

Great! Proves my point :-)

Now I'm worried ;o)

S'orlright, I wouldn't swap Spouse's beard (grey, soft, curly and long) for
anything!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
Why do you shave?
I can't understand why any man doesn't want to look like a man.

I believe a cleanly-shaved chin looks perfectly manly.

How? It's masculine to have facial hair. A secondary sex thingy.

Shaving it off is tantamount to ... well, use your imagination :-)

But the worst part about shaving is that the chin stays 'clean' for such a
short time :-(

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Why do you shave?

I can't understand why any man doesn't want to look like a man. Not
shaving
saves time, money and pain :-)

Beards are tickly and irritating

Only when they're growing after shaving, I'm told.

- but have the advantage of being a
source of unexpected snacks and forgotten trifles.

You don't need a beard for that, a tie does perfectly well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Mungo" wrote in message
oups.com...

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 15:55:37 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

Why do you shave?

Because otherwise he would grow a beard!

And what's wrong with a beard, Nigel?
I do the manly thing and grow the facial fuzz.

Hurrah!

Makes me sound heroic
until you
find out that I grow the beard in the winter because it keeps my chin
nice and
warm!

Of more importance, why are there more than a dozen shaver sockets
advertised
on Screwfix - makes the job of choosing the perfect one for the new
en-suite tricky.

Oh poor baby! They really shouldn't send those things to men ... decision
making doesn't go with facial stubble.

(I'm installing said socket as a summer contingency in case anyone
asks).

We recently installed one for the toothbrush charger. It will also be useful
for when RAF son stays, he's not allowed to grow a beard.

Mungo :-)

P.S. American in-laws decided to brave air-travel and come visit sunny
Scotland a year
or so ago. They bought one of those "adaptor" plugs for some mains
electrical
appliance and when the device failed to work they asked me if I could
help.
Yes: the device just did a pin conversion, not a pin-and-voltage. So
some nice little
115 volt gadget got the full 240 volt treatment (whose peak is 330v or
so if I remember
correctly that you multiple the value by the square root of two) : bang.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Mary Fisher wrote:
How? It's masculine to have facial hair.

Women can get them too, can't they.