Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Default Why are most shaver sockets dual voltage?

Andy Hall wrote:

Michael Jackson and Vaseline products mentioned together doesn't bear
thinking about.

Did you hear about the neverland drugs bust? They found class A drugs in
the dining room, class B in the kitchen and class 3C in the bedroom.

(Allegedly!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Mary Fisher wrote:

I'd be happy to provide a mug shot for a d-i-y gallery.

Thataway:

http://www.frappr.com/ukdiy

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 20:17:04 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

It's masculine to have facial hair.

Only for women.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 23:22:03 +0000, Nigel Molesworth
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 20:17:04 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

It's masculine to have facial hair.

Only for women.

and goats

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4748292.stm

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

Mary Fisher wrote in message
t...

I can't understand why anyone doesn't want to look like a man. Not
shaving saves time, money and pain :-)

I'd be happy to provide a mug shot for a d-i-y gallery.

Mary

Have you just the mustache or the full works ?

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Mary Fisher" typed

- but have the advantage of being a
source of unexpected snacks and forgotten trifles.

You don't need a beard for that, a tie does perfectly well.

You don't need a tie when you have a head of hair like mine...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Fitz" wrote in message
oups.com...

Why do you shave?
I can't understand why any man doesn't want to look like a man.

I believe a cleanly-shaved chin looks perfectly manly.

How? It's masculine to have facial hair. A secondary sex thingy.

Shaving it off is tantamount to ... well, use your imagination :-)

Ok I'm fascinated now by your point of view on this.

I want to reply but it might not be as eloquent as I'd like or you'd expect
:-) I'm very tired and off to bed in a few minutes.

You seem to be drawing a link between facial and bodily hair...

Not at all. I was suggesting that shaving off a beard is comparable with
castration.

A beard is a secondary sex characteristic. Mostly only men have them. Older
women sometimes do because of a shift in their hormone balance but they
rarely have such a growth as men do. Very few men don't have any beard at
all.

Body hair is a characteristic of both sexes, it's not sex-linked.

without going so far as the obvious do you think that a man without a
back and chest like a small rug is not manly?

See above.

Also do you only make this direct association between appearance and
'manliness' or is it behaviour as well?

Behaviour is a social characteristic, it's not hormonal.

Ferinstance is a man not a man
unless he can kill a chicken with his bare hands?

Not at all. And a woman (e.g. me) isn't less of a woman because she can kill
a chicken with ungloved hands.

At the same time
should he hold a door open for a lady? Stand when she leaves the
table?

Those things are social conventions. It's up to the man.

As for us chaps (I'm sure I'm not the only one...) who after a week of
not shaving look like we have the 5 O'Clock shadow of our more hirsute
bretheren and could count our chest hairs on two hands - are we not
'manly' because of this?

Not at all. But give it time, chaps, and you'll have something nice and soft
and strokable:-)

Women's breasts are their secondary sex characteristics. They vary in size
but few aren't functional when necessary. Men's aren't. Hormones again.

Don't worry I'm not offended by your suggestion and I'm not on some
ridiculous counter-sexism tirade

Nor am I :-)

I'm just intrigued because I thought
all women thought beards and taches were nasty, abrasive, unnatractive

Oh no!

I don't like to see a man with just a tache, he always looks henpecked.
There's no need to advertise it.

things that simply chafe the thighs. Ahem. ;-)

Indeed.

Spouse used to shave twice a day. In the morning to be acceptable at work,
before bed so that he didn't scratch my face.

Two of our sons have a light beard growth, one has a straggly beard, the
other refuses to look like that. The third (actually middle) son is the RAF
one, who's not allowed to have a beard so he has to scrape every day. And he
hates it. If he has a fewdays off he lets it grow, after four or five days
he's far more respectable (in my terms of masculine acceptability) than
either of his bros. I don't know what will be expected of him by his
superiors when he goes to Afghanistan

Incidentally, most of our men friends are bearded. When our first born was a
toddler we had constant visitors. Only those with beards were Daddies :-)
That's 44 years ago.

Mary
p.s. shaving armpits, legs or anything else is also daft - except that I one
had my head shaved for surgery ... and liked the feeling, temporarily.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 21:37:59 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

Incidentally, most of our men friends are bearded.

Why doesn't that surprise me.

p.s. shaving armpits, legs or anything else is also daft

I've been shaving my armpits (and "other areas") for years. A few
friends have tried it, and like me, they will never go back.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mungo

Nigel Molesworth wrote:

I've been shaving my armpits (and "other areas") for years. A few
friends have tried it, and like me, they will never go back.

Too much information Nigel, too much information...

Mungo :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Mary Fisher wrote:

A beard is a secondary sex characteristic. Mostly only men have them. Older
women sometimes do because of a shift in their hormone balance but they
rarely have such a growth as men do. Very few men don't have any beard at
all.

I think you will find that its pretty rare on relatively 'pure' Africans.

Who are very numerous..
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fitz

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Fitz" wrote in message
oups.com...

Why do you shave?
I can't understand why any man doesn't want to look like a man.

I believe a cleanly-shaved chin looks perfectly manly.

How? It's masculine to have facial hair. A secondary sex thingy.

Shaving it off is tantamount to ... well, use your imagination :-)

You seem to be drawing a link between facial and bodily hair...

Not at all. I was suggesting that shaving off a beard is comparable with
castration.

Gulp. that's a bit extreme! And a little inconsistent? surely
castration removes primary sexual organs not secondary...

Also do you only make this direct association between appearance and
'manliness' or is it behaviour as well?

Behaviour is a social characteristic, it's not hormonal.

Acually I don't think it's quite that black and white is it?
Testosterone is classicly associated with aggression.

Ferinstance is a man not a man
unless he can kill a chicken with his bare hands?

Not at all. And a woman (e.g. me) isn't less of a woman because she can kill
a chicken with ungloved hands.

Sorry for being dumb. Do you mean a 'man' _should_ be able to kill a
chicken? I don't think you do, but I'm just clarifying.

At the same time
should he hold a door open for a lady? Stand when she leaves the
table?

Those things are social conventions. It's up to the man.

Fair enough.

Women's breasts are their secondary sex characteristics. They vary in size
but few aren't functional when necessary. Men's aren't. Hormones again.

Aha! A frame of reference I can associate with. ;-) This sort of
clears it up really. As you say breasts vary in size, shape and
appearance and there will be extremes of preference among us chaps.
The beard thing is similar in your case you like lots of beard. But...
the comment above suggests that the functinoality of breasts is
important in their use as secondary sexual characteristics whereas in
reality if one's beloved is lactating they tend be sore, heavy and you
generally don't go near them!

Incidentally, most of our men friends are bearded. When our first born was a
toddler we had constant visitors. Only those with beards were Daddies :-)

chuckle.

--
Steve F

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Fitz" wrote in message
ups.com...

Why do you shave?
I can't understand why any man doesn't want to look like a man.

I believe a cleanly-shaved chin looks perfectly manly.

How? It's masculine to have facial hair. A secondary sex thingy.

Shaving it off is tantamount to ... well, use your imagination :-)

You seem to be drawing a link between facial and bodily hair...

Not at all. I was suggesting that shaving off a beard is comparable with
castration.

Gulp. that's a bit extreme!

It is but you pressed the point.

And a little inconsistent? surely
castration removes primary sexual organs not secondary...

Indeed. But not inconsistent. They areboth sex characteristics.

Also do you only make this direct association between appearance and
'manliness' or is it behaviour as well?

Behaviour is a social characteristic, it's not hormonal.

Acually I don't think it's quite that black and white is it?
Testosterone is classicly associated with aggression.

And men, young ones especially, usually have a great amount of it sloshing
around. It can vary in men too, you can almost smell it on re-enactment
battlefields!

Ferinstance is a man not a man
unless he can kill a chicken with his bare hands?

Not at all. And a woman (e.g. me) isn't less of a woman because she can
kill
a chicken with ungloved hands.

Sorry for being dumb. Do you mean a 'man' _should_ be able to kill a
chicken?

No. I wouldn't have even thought about the example. Chicken killing is a
necessity if you're hungry and there's nothing else available, or the hen
has gone out of lay and is eating expensive grain, or the chicken is a
superfluous cockerel which need staking out because you don't need all that
many. Chicken killing is done by whoever decides to do it, you don't need a
beard to do that.

Women's breasts are their secondary sex characteristics. They vary in
size
but few aren't functional when necessary. Men's aren't. Hormones again.

Aha! A frame of reference I can associate with. ;-) This sort of
clears it up really. As you say breasts vary in size, shape and
appearance and there will be extremes of preference among us chaps.

That's not their function.

The beard thing is similar in your case you like lots of beard.

That's a bonus, in both cases. It's not a prime function, just an effect.

But...
the comment above suggests that the functinoality of breasts is
important in their use as secondary sexual characteristics

Eh?

whereas in
reality if one's beloved is lactating they tend be sore, heavy

Not for long.

and you
generally don't go near them!

They're not for you anyway.

Sorry, chaps!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim \(in sweden\)

"Willi" wrote in message
Out of interest, does anyone know why in most homes/fittings in the uk are
the shaver points dual voltage. i.e. 115 & 240 when all shavers I have
ever seen sold in the uk are 240v

I've always wondered this.

Only GB does this (for household installations anyway), go
around the rest of the world and you will just find one voltage
on the shaver socket.

tim