Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Waterproof spacer for shower door ?

Slight screw-up ...
Built an alcove shower in an en-suite ... to fit an 800 x 1200 tray.
As I was using waterproof (Respatex) panels, I built the walls to be a
tight fit against sides of tray ..... which allowing for slight sloping
of cast stone tray means distance between the 2 walls is 809mm.

The screw-up is that the Resaptex is outside of tray not overlapping
tray, I fitted the same way I had fitted corner trays, it is only a
problem in an alcove shower.

I purchased a somewhat expensive Merlyn bi-fold shower door, but that
was some years ago - and not got round to finishing shower ... finally
opened the box and find this only good for 780-790mm (800 nominal)... so
I need some form of spacer to take up the 'gap'

I need something 60mm wide around 25mm thick (1850 long) and there are
2 key things, need to be waterproof .. and ideally not ugly ....

The shower is a bright sliver anodised trim finish ... but assume not
going to find a silver finish.
I did think about some form of solid nylon strip .... anybody any
suggestions.

Have asked manufacturer - but no joy so far ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Use an aluminium extrusion, give it a good scrub with fine wire wool and immediately after cleaning spray with a suitable lacquer for metal. Should not be too dissimilar to your panels. The anodising process basically produces a pitted surface in aluminium to accept dyes and lacquers into the surface the shiny appearance is normally due to a finishing coat of lacquer.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 27 February 2014 19:25:16 UTC, Rick Hughes wrote:
[...]

some sort of UPVC D shape moulding from a building plastics firm? don;t know if they go to 25mm but maybe split to 2X 12.5mm one each side?

Jim K

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2014 19:47, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Use an aluminium extrusion, give it a good scrub with fine wire wool and immediately after cleaning spray with a suitable lacquer for metal. Should not be too dissimilar to your panels. The anodising process basically produces a pitted surface in aluminium to accept dyes and lacquers into the surface the shiny appearance is normally due to a finishing coat of lacquer.

Richard

hmmm .. maybe a hollow box section may be the answer .. thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, February 27, 2014 7:25:16 PM UTC, Rick Hughes wrote:
[...]

Merlyn are one of the more helpful shower companies, and they do extensions for most of their enclosures. They've custom made replacement panels for us in a similar situation, and supplied missing parts for a shower we'd had in storage for a few years. It might work best to phone them in Ireland - 00353567791555. Otherwise are emails of 2 of the people who have helped us.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2014 16:20, andrew wrote:
On Thursday, February 27, 2014 7:25:16 PM UTC, Rick Hughes wrote:
Slight screw-up ...

Have asked manufacturer - but no joy so far ...

Merlyn are one of the more helpful shower companies, and they do extensions for most of their enclosures. They've custom made replacement panels for us in a similar situation, and supplied missing parts for a shower we'd had in storage for a few years. It might work best to phone them in Ireland - 00353567791555. Otherwise are emails of 2 of the people who have helped us.

I did contact Merlyn .. they said no spares for this model.
The wall channel is a U shaped profile, with an extended lip on the
inside through which you screw to wall.
They could offer a spacer that would add 20mm to U channel, but not the
lip .... which would then become messy to fix to wall.