Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rechargeable batteries are they worth the bother.

Have a large collection of AA and AAA batteries and was wondering are they worth the bother in this age of chepo alkaline batteries.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
curious wrote:
Have a large collection of AA and AAA batteries and was wondering are
they worth the bother in this age of chepo alkaline batteries.

Assuming you keep them charged ready for use, you ain't going to run out
of one at an inconvenient time.

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
curious writes:
Have a large collection of AA and AAA batteries and was wondering are they worth the bother in this age of chepo alkaline batteries.

I seem to have a very large number of things which take AA and AAA.
Each one has too low a usage rate for rechargables to work. The
items where it would have been worthwhile (digital cameras) couldn't
handle the lower voltage - after a few pictures, they claim the
rechargables are flat.

So I've given up on trying to use rechargable AA and AAA.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
curious wrote:
Have a large collection of AA and AAA batteries and was wondering are
they worth the bother in this age of chepo alkaline batteries.

Assuming you keep them charged ready for use, you ain't going to run out
of one at an inconvenient time.

Eneloop batteries keep their charge for years - they're actually sold
already charged. They aren't much more expensive and they do what they
claim. Their capacity is a little less but who cares? I'll trade
capacity for charge retention any day.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to gmx in e-mail.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
curious writes:
Have a large collection of AA and AAA batteries and was wondering are
they worth the bother in this age of chepo alkaline batteries.

I seem to have a very large number of things which take AA and AAA.
Each one has too low a usage rate for rechargables to work. The
items where it would have been worthwhile (digital cameras) couldn't
handle the lower voltage - after a few pictures, they claim the
rechargables are flat.

So I've given up on trying to use rechargable AA and AAA.

I have a couple of cameras which reckon the batteries (any type) are flat. I
open the covers, giv'em a twist, close the covers and they work for ages
more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Certainly they are.
The older sort did have self discharge and or reliability o problems, but
the newer ones seem to be fine to me. I hate expendables, they just get
eaten. Of course some can be recharged, but you have to make sure they are
not discharged very far between charges.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"curious" wrote in message
Have a large collection of AA and AAA batteries and was wondering are they
worth the bother in this age of chepo alkaline batteries.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
curious writes:
Have a large collection of AA and AAA batteries and was wondering are
they worth the bother in this age of chepo alkaline batteries.

I seem to have a very large number of things which take AA and AAA.
Each one has too low a usage rate for rechargables to work. The
items where it would have been worthwhile (digital cameras) couldn't
handle the lower voltage - after a few pictures, they claim the
rechargables are flat.

Odd, ours would always complain about alkalines being flat when they
weren't really. NiMH worked much better. Now though most of our cameras
have Li-ion.

So I've given up on trying to use rechargable AA and AAA.

I use them for loads of things. Though a few things don't like them or
aren't worth bothering with. I only bother with LSD ones now though, so
even in things like remote controls they are fine because they hold on
to their charge.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 05:42:39 -0800 (PST), curious wrote:

Have a large collection of AA and AAA batteries and was wondering are
they worth the bother in this age of chepo alkaline batteries.

Depends on the kit that is using them. Kids bedside light would eat 6
AAA's a week. Wii remotes are happy on NiMH. Cameras are OK on 'em as
well (some have a menu setting for battery type).

TV remotes well the supplied alkalines last for years, clocks similar
but rechargeables self discharge too fast inc the "low leakage" ones
so those things get alkalines.

--
Cheers
Dave.