Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rechargeable batteries

I do not give Xmas presents and still I receive some from my family.
Now the grandfather opened one present from 2011.
It is called ELECTRO CHALLENGE:
http://www.algaspel.se/sv-SE/Science...Challenge.aspx

I will use its contacts to make a testbed for my LED bulbs.

I have tested the toy using 2 rechargeable batteries and it gives a
perfect sound when the loop is closed.
Its instructions has this warning:
4. Do not use rechargeable batteries

Why such a warning?
I think children should learn to use rechargeable batteries and I
hope you all agree.
--
jo
"You take the crust Johannes as you has such strong teeth."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 13:55:08 +0100, Jo Stein wrote:

I do not give Xmas presents and still I receive some from my family.
Now the grandfather opened one present from 2011.
It is called ELECTRO CHALLENGE:
http://www.algaspel.se/sv-SE/Science...Challenge.aspx

I will use its contacts to make a testbed for my LED bulbs.

I have tested the toy using 2 rechargeable batteries and it gives a
perfect sound when the loop is closed.
Its instructions has this warning:
4. Do not use rechargeable batteries

Why such a warning?
I think children should learn to use rechargeable batteries and I
hope you all agree.

Might be low voltage (only 1.2V nominal)/low internal resistance of such
cells.

I bought Lidl's blood pressure monitor and that had the same warning with no
explanation - unlikely to be children involved in 'playing' with it.

Some of my clocks will run for 9 months on NiMH as they dip out at about 0.9
- 1.0V but others pack up at appreciably over 1.2V.

I noticed that the LED conversions for Maglites etc. mentioned on here last
week gave the run time for the LEDs based on NiMH. It's about time all
devices could run on either.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/13 12:55, Jo Stein wrote:
I do not give Xmas presents and still I receive some from my family.
Now the grandfather opened one present from 2011.
It is called ELECTRO CHALLENGE:
http://www.algaspel.se/sv-SE/Science...Challenge.aspx

I will use its contacts to make a testbed for my LED bulbs.

I have tested the toy using 2 rechargeable batteries and it gives a
perfect sound when the loop is closed.
Its instructions has this warning:
4. Do not use rechargeable batteries

Why such a warning?
I think children should learn to use rechargeable batteries and I
hope you all agree.

I think people who preface every statement they make with the word
'should' are ******s.

And should probably be gassed. :-)

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 13:55:08 +0100, Jo Stein
wrote:

I do not give Xmas presents

There's a surprise.

and still I receive some from my family.

Perhaps they're kind to robots.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 6, 12:55*pm, Jo Stein wrote:
Why such a warning?

My guess: because it's too easy to short out the battery by mistake.
With a rechargeable cell that could result in a dangerously large
current flow, resulting in burns or a fire. Primary cells tend to
have a higher internal resistance and are less likely to pose a safety
hazard if shorted.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/2013 12:55, Jo Stein wrote:
I do not give Xmas presents and still I receive some from my family.
Now the grandfather opened one present from 2011.
It is called ELECTRO CHALLENGE:
http://www.algaspel.se/sv-SE/Science...Challenge.aspx

I will use its contacts to make a testbed for my LED bulbs.

I have tested the toy using 2 rechargeable batteries and it gives a
perfect sound when the loop is closed.
Its instructions has this warning:
4. Do not use rechargeable batteries

Why such a warning?

Usually because the low internal resistance of rechargables can allow
too much current to flow in certain devices. It is particularly easy to
kill some cheap flash guns stone dead by repeated charge and fire cycles
when rechargables are fitted. Slightly less voltage but higher currents
flow and the thing self immolates after a while.

The other failure mode is that the terminal voltage of a rechargable is
slower than an alkaline secondary cell and so can look to some low
current devices like it is spent prematurely.

I think children should learn to use rechargeable batteries and I
hope you all agree.

There are products where the self discharge rate of most rechargables
compared to secondary cells makes them less than useful. I have a
collection of used at high current secondary cells that still have
enough life to power digital clocks etc. I usually end up on secondary
cells after a set of "charged" rechargables have failed to deliver.

I am gradually swapping over to low self discharge types but have a fair
proportion of older NiCd and NiMH (even some NiFe at my parents).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 17:20:03 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

There are products where the self discharge rate of most rechargables
compared to secondary cells makes them less than useful. I have a
collection of used at high current secondary cells that still have
enough life to power digital clocks etc. I usually end up on secondary
cells after a set of "charged" rechargables have failed to deliver.

I measure the voltage of a spent cell and note it on the back of the clock,
then write the date on the 'new' cell. Cells from e.g. the CH controller
still have 1.4V and that sort of thing I note the voltage, keep them in a
separate box and fit them to the clocks that'll go to low voltage.

I am gradually swapping over to low self discharge types but have a fair
proportion of older NiCd and NiMH (even some NiFe at my parents).

All of mine are now Eneloop or Aldidl LSDs, somewhat helped by the ordinary
NiMHs failing quite early.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well can only guess that if it seizes up and takes a lot of current
rechargeable batteries will trash the device.

Of course it should be also borne in mind that most rechargeable as you
normally get in dry bat sizes are a quarter volt lower in voltage so some
devices might not like this much.
Brian

Email:

"Jo Stein" wrote in message
I do not give Xmas presents and still I receive some from my family.
Now the grandfather opened one present from 2011.
It is called ELECTRO CHALLENGE:
http://www.algaspel.se/sv-SE/Science...Challenge.aspx

I will use its contacts to make a testbed for my LED bulbs.

I have tested the toy using 2 rechargeable batteries and it gives a
perfect sound when the loop is closed.
Its instructions has this warning:
4. Do not use rechargeable batteries

Why such a warning?
I think children should learn to use rechargeable batteries and I
hope you all agree.
--
jo
Jesus took the bread, broke it, gave it to his disciples and said:
"You take the crust Johannes as you has such strong teeth."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, January 6, 2013 5:20:03 PM UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 06/01/2013 12:55, Jo Stein wrote:

I am gradually swapping over to low self discharge types but have a fair
proportion of older NiCd and NiMH (even some NiFe at my parents).

NiFe havent been made in decades. Old ones are fully renovatable at home btw.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oh and a happy new year to you as well mate.

Brian

Email:

On 06/01/13 12:55, Jo Stein wrote:
I do not give Xmas presents and still I receive some from my family.
Now the grandfather opened one present from 2011.
It is called ELECTRO CHALLENGE:
http://www.algaspel.se/sv-SE/Science...Challenge.aspx

I will use its contacts to make a testbed for my LED bulbs.

I have tested the toy using 2 rechargeable batteries and it gives a
perfect sound when the loop is closed.
Its instructions has this warning:
4. Do not use rechargeable batteries

Why such a warning?
I think children should learn to use rechargeable batteries and I
hope you all agree.

I think people who preface every statement they make with the word
'should' are ******s.

And should probably be gassed. :-)

--
Ineptocracy

lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members
of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded
with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a
diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06.01.2013 19:37, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well can only guess that if it seizes up and takes a lot of current
rechargeable batteries will trash the device.

Of course it should be also borne in mind that most rechargeable as
you normally get in dry bat sizes are a quarter volt lower in
voltage so some devices might not like this much. Brian

I am the grandfather and the toy has 2 batteries mounted in series
to give 1.3 + 1.3 = 2.6 volts to a loop that has
1 LED light
1 resistor
1 buzzer

Now I have removed one of the batteries and by clever new assembling
found that the loop gives sound and light also by using only
1 rechargeable battery that has 1.3 volt.

If I show this tool to my two grandchildren
(2 boys of age about 12 year and 7 year)
I will tell them that rechargeable batteries are used,
and should always be used for such a tool.

I will tell them that they live in a world where evil capitalists try to
fool them and I will show them how to fool the capitalists by running
the toy on cheap green energy that is friendly to mother earth.
--
jo
"Some people will do anything to save the Earth,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 6, 9:46*pm, Jo Stein wrote:
I will tell them that rechargeable batteries are used,
and should always be used for such a tool.

Please don't. As has been pointed out, there are sound reasons why
rechargeable batteries may not be appropriate (including safety
reasons) so you don't want to give the impression it is OK to ignore a
warning.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/13 21:46, Jo Stein wrote:

I will tell them that they live in a world where evil capitalists try to
fool them and I will show them how to fool the capitalists by running
the toy on cheap green energy that is friendly to mother earth.

And if they are well behaved they wont actually laugh in your face.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, January 6, 2013 11:20:47 PM UTC, Richard Russell wrote:
On Jan 6, 9:46 pm, Jo Stein wrote:

I will tell them that rechargeable batteries are used,
and should always be used for such a tool.

Please don't. As has been pointed out, there are sound reasons why
rechargeable batteries may not be appropriate (including safety
reasons) so you don't want to give the impression it is OK to ignore a
warning.
Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

Part of growing up is learning to manage risk. Part of that is learning which warnings to heed and which to ignore. No-one in their right mind heeds them all.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 6, 9:46 pm, Jo Stein wrote:

I will tell them that rechargeable batteries are used, and should
always be used for such a tool.

Please don't. As has been pointed out, there are sound reasons
why rechargeable batteries may not be appropriate (including
safety reasons) so you don't want to give the impression it is OK
to ignore a warning. Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

Part of growing up is learning to manage risk. Part of that is
learning which warnings to heed and which to ignore. No-one in their
right mind heeds them all.

The manufacturer of that silly toy did not do any calculation of LLE
He simply put in a lot of warnings because they may be of help
if a customer sue him after an accident.

I have already shown you this warning:
4. Do not use rechargeable batteries

and there are 8 mo
5. Do not mix old and new batteries
6. Do not mix alkaline, standard (carbon zinc) or rechargeable
(nickel cadmium) batteries
7. Exhausted batteries are to be removed from the toy
8. Non-rechargeable batteries are not to be recharged
10. Only batteries of the same or equivalent type as
recommended are to be used
11. Batteries are to be inserted with the correct polarity
12. Do not dispose of batteries in fire,
batteries may explode or leak
13. Batteries may explode or leak if misused

Risk evaluation is very important.
Let me show you the proper way to do it.
I have memorized this LLE-table and tell
it to anybody that want to listen to me:
http://www.phyast.pitt.edu/~blc/book/chapter8.html
LOSS OF LIFE EXPECTANCY (LLE) DUE TO VARIOUS RISKS
Activity or risk* LLE (days)
Living in poverty 3500
Being male (vs. female) 2800
Cigarettes (male) 2300
15-lb overweight 450
All accidents* 400
Occupational accidents 74
AIDS* 70
Small cars (vs. midsize) 60
Married to smoker 50
All electricity nuclear (UCS)* 1.5
Peanut butter (1 Tbsp./day) 1.1
Hurricanes, tornadoes* 1
Airline crashes* 1
Dam failures* 1
Living near nuclear plant 0.4
All electricity nuclear (NRC)* 0.04

Whenever I see a fat fellow that is smoking
I become very glad because I am slim
and do not smoke.
--
jo
Paris Marathon 2013
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 6, 9:46 pm, Jo Stein wrote:

[...]

They have to assume that all American customers are morons with a death
wish. I notice that "Do not swallow batteries" is not included above.

Most of the others have become more or less standard boilerplate because
it is amazing just how dumb and stupid consumers can be !!!!

They are trying to avoid having to provide free replacements of kit to
customers who grossly abuse the device and wreck it. I blame lawyers.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 09:10:03 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

NiFe havent been made in decades.

********. I know for a fact I can still buy NiFe batteries for
cold-start standby gensets.

http://ironedison.com/nickel-iron-ni-fe-battery

Excellent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, January 6, 2013 12:55:08 PM UTC, Jo Stein wrote:
I do not give Xmas presents and still I receive some from my family.

Now the grandfather opened one present from 2011.

It is called ELECTRO CHALLENGE:

http://www.algaspel.se/sv-SE/Science...Challenge.aspx

I will use its contacts to make a testbed for my LED bulbs.

I have tested the toy using 2 rechargeable batteries and it gives a

perfect sound when the loop is closed.

Its instructions has this warning:

4. Do not use rechargeable batteries

Why such a warning?

it could be that kit uses the restistance of standard cells to limit the current. removing this limit may cause more curretn to flow than the equipment was designed for.

I think children should learn to use rechargeable batteries and I

hope you all agree.

So should adults.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 6, 9:46 pm, Jo Stein wrote:

I will tell them that rechargeable batteries are used,
and should always be used for such a tool.

Please don't. As has been pointed out, there are sound reasons why
rechargeable batteries may not be appropriate (including safety
reasons) so you don't want to give the impression it is OK to ignore a
warning.
Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

Part of growing up is learning to manage risk. Part of that is learning which
warnings to heed and which to ignore. No-one in their right mind heeds them all.

IIRC only products that were genuinely dangerous (if misused) used to
carry safety warnings. Now all manufacturers have "cried wolf" so
much that people are more likely to ignore all warnings.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-01-06, PeterC wrote:

On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 17:20:03 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

I am gradually swapping over to low self discharge types but have a fair
proportion of older NiCd and NiMH (even some NiFe at my parents).

All of mine are now Eneloop or Aldidl LSDs, somewhat helped by the ordinary
NiMHs failing quite early.

I usually buy big packs of Maplin NiMH cells when they're on sale.
How do you tell that the Aldidl ones are low-self-discharge --- are
they labelled as such?

Also, do the LSD ones have higher internal resistance? (That might
help with the short-circuit safety issues mentioned in this thread.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-01-06, PeterC wrote:

On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 17:20:03 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

I am gradually swapping over to low self discharge types but have a fair
proportion of older NiCd and NiMH (even some NiFe at my parents).

All of mine are now Eneloop or Aldidl LSDs, somewhat helped by the ordinary
NiMHs failing quite early.

I usually buy big packs of Maplin NiMH cells when they're on sale.
How do you tell that the Aldidl ones are low-self-discharge --- are
they labelled as such?

The ones that are low self discharge are generally labelled ready to use
low self discharge. You can spot informed geeks buying them up...

Also, do the LSD ones have higher internal resistance? (That might
help with the short-circuit safety issues mentioned in this thread.)

Not noticeably. Even a humble modern alkaline AA will source ~10A into a
dead short so they are not exactly forgiving with ordinary thin wire.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 6, 9:46 pm, Jo Stein wrote:

I will tell them that rechargeable batteries are used,
and should always be used for such a tool.

Please don't. As has been pointed out, there are sound reasons why
rechargeable batteries may not be appropriate (including safety
reasons) so you don't want to give the impression it is OK to ignore a
warning.
Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

Part of growing up is learning to manage risk. Part of that is learning which
warnings to heed and which to ignore. No-one in their right mind heeds them all.

IIRC only products that were genuinely dangerous (if misused) used to
carry safety warnings. Now all manufacturers have "cried wolf" so
much that people are more likely to ignore all warnings.

As with all such things, I call it CMA - Cover My Arse (or Ass). The
principle is to avoid litigation, not too protect the terminally stupid
consumer.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 6 Jan 2013 18:39:44 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

I've had no issues with a blood pressure monitor and rechargeable myself.

Brian

Mine might well work with such, but I'd rather not risk it unless primary
cells give up so soon that they're not feasible.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, January 7, 2013 9:41:48 AM UTC, Jo Stein wrote:
On 07.01.2013 01:08, wrote:

http://www.phyast.pitt.edu/~blc/book/chapter8.html

LOSS OF LIFE EXPECTANCY (LLE) DUE TO VARIOUS RISKS

Great link, thank you

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 6, 9:46 pm, Jo Stein wrote:

I will tell them that rechargeable batteries are used, and should
always be used for such a tool.

Please don't. As has been pointed out, there are sound reasons
why rechargeable batteries may not be appropriate (including
safety reasons) so you don't want to give the impression it is OK
to ignore a warning. Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

Part of growing up is learning to manage risk. Part of that is
learning which warnings to heed and which to ignore. No-one in their
right mind heeds them all.

The manufacturer of that silly toy did not do any calculation of LLE
He simply put in a lot of warnings because they may be of help
if a customer sue him after an accident.

Looks much more like they just had some fool write
it than any deliberate attempt to short circuit anyone
trying to sue them.

[...]

And thats true right thruout life, even before
you can even speak surprisingly enough.

Cigarettes (male) 2300
15-lb overweight 450
All accidents* 400
Occupational accidents 74
AIDS* 70
Small cars (vs. midsize) 60
Married to smoker 50
All electricity nuclear (UCS)* 1.5
Peanut butter (1 Tbsp./day) 1.1
Hurricanes, tornadoes* 1
Airline crashes* 1
Dam failures* 1
Living near nuclear plant 0.4
All electricity nuclear (NRC)* 0.04

Whenever I see a fat fellow that is smoking
I become very glad because I am slim
and do not smoke.

And they dont even need to smoke either.

One fella I know well is in late stage diabetes
where they are starting to cut off his extremities
etc entirely because of his extreme obesity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-01-06, PeterC wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the tips.