Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile

Default Google Nexus 5 phone and SMS

Sorry about the cross-posting to DIY but the wealth of knowledge in
there is superb!

I've just got the Google Nexus 5 phone (was delivered on Friday
morning) and so far I'm well pleased with it, it appears to be
excellent - except for one thing.

Text messaging (SMS) and multimedia messaging (MMS) is now done by/with
Google Hangouts. I don't use Google Hangouts and probably never will; I
don't know what Google Hangouts is and I've no particular wish to find
out - if I needed it or wanted it, I would have started using it before
now, but I don't.

So, how can I turn this 'feature' off and go back to 'traditional' text
messaging? If it can't be turned off and I have to use some third-party
app for texting, what's the best one to go with?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile

Steve wrote:
I've just got the Google Nexus 5 phone
Text messaging (SMS) and multimedia messaging (MMS) is now done by/with
Google Hangouts. I don't use Google Hangouts and probably never will;

You don't need to use any of the other Hangouts features, just use
Hangouts as an SMS application, once you've sent/received messages from
each of your contacts, they get their own ongoing thread like the old
text app.

One thing ... if you do stick with Hangouts, set it to *not* use MMS for
sending SMS to multiple contacts ... if you really don't want to use it,
there are other apps but I can't recommend any in particular.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile

On 09/02/14 20:11, Steve wrote:

So, how can I turn this 'feature' off and go back to 'traditional' text
messaging? If it can't be turned off and I have to use some third-party
app for texting, what's the best one to go with?

Settings / 'More...' (4th item, just below Data Usage) / 'Default SMS App'
Here you can choose from Hangouts or whatever other SMS-capable apps you
have installed.
Really no reason not to use Hangouts for SMS though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile

On 2/9/2014 3:11 PM, Steve wrote:
Sorry about the cross-posting to DIY but the wealth of knowledge in
there is superb!

I've just got the Google Nexus 5 phone (was delivered on Friday morning)
and so far I'm well pleased with it, it appears to be excellent - except
for one thing.

Text messaging (SMS) and multimedia messaging (MMS) is now done by/with
Google Hangouts. I don't use Google Hangouts and probably never will; I
don't know what Google Hangouts is and I've no particular wish to find
out - if I needed it or wanted it, I would have started using it before
now, but I don't.

So, how can I turn this 'feature' off and go back to 'traditional' text
messaging? If it can't be turned off and I have to use some third-party
app for texting, what's the best one to go with?

I don't like Hangouts, wither, so I switched to "8sms".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, February 9, 2014 8:11:06 PM UTC, Steve wrote:
Sorry about the cross-posting to DIY but the wealth of knowledge in

there is superb!

I've just got the Google Nexus 5 phone (was delivered on Friday

morning) and so far I'm well pleased with it, it appears to be

excellent - except for one thing.

Text messaging (SMS) and multimedia messaging (MMS) is now done by/with

Google Hangouts. I don't use Google Hangouts and probably never will; I

don't know what Google Hangouts is and I've no particular wish to find

out - if I needed it or wanted it, I would have started using it before

now, but I don't.

So, how can I turn this 'feature' off and go back to 'traditional' text

messaging? If it can't be turned off and I have to use some third-party

app for texting, what's the best one to go with?

I've got a Nexus 5 too.

Are you affected by the bug that causes it to sometimes not ring for incoming calls until powercycled? It's very annoying.

Philip
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve
writes
has brought this to us :
[...]

I honestly don't know Philip. I've only had it since Friday and only
had two incoming calls - or at least, only two that I know about.

Does it still vibrate on incoming calls? I suppose it must do,
otherwise how do you know that you've missed one?

You should get a missed call indicator, in the notification bar.

On my phone it is a little red bent arrow

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French explained :
In message , Steve
writes
has brought this to us :
[...]

Doh! Why didn't I think of that Yes, I saw that icon as I was
setting it up and testing it by using the landline to call it without
answering. So far, I've not had any 'genuine' missed calls then, and
none that have gone to voicemail (unless I've wanted that) either.