Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile
Steve[_68_] Steve[_68_] is offline

Default Google Nexus 5 phone and SMS

Sorry about the cross-posting to DIY but the wealth of knowledge in
there is superb!

I've just got the Google Nexus 5 phone (was delivered on Friday
morning) and so far I'm well pleased with it, it appears to be
excellent - except for one thing.

Text messaging (SMS) and multimedia messaging (MMS) is now done by/with
Google Hangouts. I don't use Google Hangouts and probably never will; I
don't know what Google Hangouts is and I've no particular wish to find
out - if I needed it or wanted it, I would have started using it before
now, but I don't.

So, how can I turn this 'feature' off and go back to 'traditional' text
messaging? If it can't be turned off and I have to use some third-party
app for texting, what's the best one to go with?