Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve[_68_] Steve[_68_] is offline

Default Google Nexus 5 phone and SMS

chris French explained :
In message , Steve
writes
has brought this to us :
On Sunday, February 9, 2014 8:11:06 PM UTC, Steve wrote:
Sorry about the cross-posting to DIY but the wealth of knowledge in there
is superb!
I've just got the Google Nexus 5 phone (was delivered on Friday
morning) and so far I'm well pleased with it, it appears to be excellent
- except for one thing.
Text messaging (SMS) and multimedia messaging (MMS) is now done
by/with Google Hangouts. I don't use Google Hangouts and probably never
will; I don't know what Google Hangouts is and I've no particular wish
to find out - if I needed it or wanted it, I would have started using
it before now, but I don't.
So, how can I turn this 'feature' off and go back to 'traditional'
text messaging? If it can't be turned off and I have to use some
third-party app for texting, what's the best one to go with?

I've got a Nexus 5 too.

Are you affected by the bug that causes it to sometimes not ring for
incoming calls until powercycled? It's very annoying.

Philip

I honestly don't know Philip. I've only had it since Friday and only had two
incoming calls - or at least, only two that I know about.

Does it still vibrate on incoming calls? I suppose it must do, otherwise how
do you know that you've missed one?

You should get a missed call indicator, in the notification bar.

On my phone it is a little red bent arrow

Doh! Why didn't I think of that Yes, I saw that icon as I was
setting it up and testing it by using the landline to call it without
answering. So far, I've not had any 'genuine' missed calls then, and
none that have gone to voicemail (unless I've wanted that) either.