Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default outdoor cfl floodlights?

Hello,

A few weeks ago I was asking about the CPC LED outdoor lamps and I was
put off by the comments that they were too blue and other comments
posted here.

I wondered if anyone had experience of CFL outdoor lamps, such as this
one by Eterna:
http://www.eterna-lighting.co.uk/pro...product=FL124B

I think it, or something similar, is sold by CPC and Toolstation. The
only problem is, the pdf file says that the bulb is 6400K for that
too; so presumably it is as blue as the LED models we talked of
before?

I did have a no-name CFL from CPC before and it was slightly blue but
I was surprised that it never seemed affected by the cold. I was
worried that a CFL might be dim when cold. Are the bulbs for the
outdoor lamps made differently from the indoor ones because indoor
cfls are often criticised for being slow to come to full brightness.
The colour temperature is one obvious difference between the two bulb
types.

Could you put any CFL with an ES end into the fitting or are they
special bulbs? For example, is the electronics in the fitting rather
than the bulb?

Thanks,
Stephen.

PS Is Eterna a good brand for lights?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
lid writes
Hello,

A few weeks ago I was asking about the CPC LED outdoor lamps and I was
put off by the comments that they were too blue and other comments
posted here.

I wondered if anyone had experience of CFL outdoor lamps, such as this
one by Eterna:
http://www.eterna-lighting.co.uk/pro...product=FL124B

No, thouhg I have had CFL bulbs in outdoor lamps before with no problem.

I think it, or something similar, is sold by CPC and Toolstation. The
only problem is, the pdf file says that the bulb is 6400K for that
too; so presumably it is as blue as the LED models we talked of
before?

Probably not, 6500K is at the bluer end of the colour temp range, biut
that is a bit different that the 'blueness' you get from some 'white'
LED's

I'd find 6500K fine in an outdoor light - it's kind a harsh I think for
main room lighting, but I've a got a desk lamp here than has a 6400K
lamp in (cos that is what it came with) and that is fine for desk use

I did have a no-name CFL from CPC before and it was slightly blue but
I was surprised that it never seemed affected by the cold. I was
worried that a CFL might be dim when cold. Are the bulbs for the
outdoor lamps made differently from the indoor ones because indoor
cfls are often criticised for being slow to come to full brightness.
The colour temperature is one obvious difference between the two bulb
types.

Between which two types?

I don't knwo if they make specific outdoor ones, I've never come across
them. IME nowadays lots of CFL's come on at a decent brightness
straight away - though not full brightness. Though I did by some from
B&Q a bout a year ago that are so slow you don't really notice them
being on at first....

Could you put any CFL with an ES end into the fitting or are they
special bulbs? For example, is the electronics in the fitting rather
than the bulb?

Any ES CFL (well that will fit in the fitting) - electronics is all in
the bulb)
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2014 14:58, lid wrote:
Hello,

A few weeks ago I was asking about the CPC LED outdoor lamps and I was
put off by the comments that they were too blue and other comments
posted here.

IME it does not take long to get used to the slightly different colour
of light. I am replacing CFLs with LEDs whenever new lamps are needed.

I wondered if anyone had experience of CFL outdoor lamps, such as this
one by Eterna:
http://www.eterna-lighting.co.uk/pro...product=FL124B

I have been using G23 2-pin 9w CFLs, in my garden for around 20 years,
in both floodlights and bulkhead fittings. I bought those from Newey &
Eyre, but the part numbers don't come up on their web site these days.

I think it, or something similar, is sold by CPC and Toolstation. The
only problem is, the pdf file says that the bulb is 6400K for that
too; so presumably it is as blue as the LED models we talked of
before?

That is an unusually high colour temperature, giving daylight colour
rendering. Your garden plants will probably like it. Warm white CFLs are
around 3000K and cool white CFLs are around 4000K.

I did have a no-name CFL from CPC before and it was slightly blue but
I was surprised that it never seemed affected by the cold. I was
worried that a CFL might be dim when cold. Are the bulbs for the
outdoor lamps made differently from the indoor ones because indoor
cfls are often criticised for being slow to come to full brightness...

You don't need a lot of light outdoors, so, if they are slow, it is
probably a lot less noticeable.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, January 9, 2014 2:58:28 PM UTC, wrote:

A few weeks ago I was asking about the CPC LED outdoor lamps and I was
put off by the comments that they were too blue and other comments
posted here.

I think it, or something similar, is sold by CPC and Toolstation. The
only problem is, the pdf file says that the bulb is 6400K for that

6400K is pretty nasty blue-white

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 21:40:13 +0000, alan
wrote:
In my opinion, 6400k is better for outdoor use. It's the colour of
daylight.

Possibly depending on age and eyesight you may find that using 6400k
bulbs indoors actually helps if you need to read printed material.

Getting a bit OT, but I find that I prefer a warmer colur temperature,
especially at night. I use f.lux on my PC to change the coulr
temperature, and have it set for 2700K at night and 6500K during the
day.

I think 6400K would look very cold at night time, when the surrounding
lighting is generally warmer. Probably fine during the day though :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
lid writes:
[...]

The dilemma is that the more efficient fluorescent lamps have a
larger difference between the initial light output and the warmed
up light output. This is even more pronounced if the lamp is very
cold to start with.

If you are using a light on a timeswitch or dusk-to-dawn photocell
or other long running time, fluorescent is fine. For a short operated
light on a PIR, I'm still going with cheap filament fittings, with the
expectation that LED will be good enough in a couple of years. LED
is good enough now if you make your own now - it's just that the
dedicated LED luminares currently available at domestic price levels
are still using crap LEDs.

The colour temperature is one obvious difference between the two bulb
types.

You are not normally looking for good colour perception outdoors at
night, so I don't regard outdoor lighting colour temperature as that
critical. Anything from warm white (2700K) through to daylight (5500K)
should be OK. It only looks silly to me if you have several lights and
they aren't all the same. (It becomes more important if the lighting
is part of a scene design, but not just for lighting a path.)

The other issue with LEDs was that until quite recently, the warmer
white ones could cost you 50% loss of light output compared with the
very cold/blue ones. I'm noticing that this penalty for warm white
in new (raw) LED emitters is now down to only about 10% loss, making
them more viable in my own LED light designs.

Could you put any CFL with an ES end into the fitting or are they
special bulbs? For example, is the electronics in the fitting rather
than the bulb?

Anything that fits. A secondary issue is the possibility of over
heating, which will shorten the life of the CFL integral ballast.
A third issue is that effective use of a directional reflector light
requires a reflector which is large relative to the light source,
and that's almost never the case with CFL lights, which limits the
efficiency of reflector CFL luminares (a significant proportion of
the light is reflected back onto the tube itself and lost).

PS Is Eterna a good brand for lights?

It tends to be good value. I look over any luminare in the shop for
the design and construction before buying it.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 09:55:09 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

The dilemma is that the more efficient fluorescent lamps have a larger
difference between the initial light output and the warmed up light
output. This is even more pronounced if the lamp is very cold to start
with.

If you are using a light on a timeswitch or dusk-to-dawn photocell or
other long running time, fluorescent is fine. For a short operated light
on a PIR, I'm still going with cheap filament fittings

The PIR outside our back door is a perfect demonstration of this. I
really must change it for a good ol' fashioned filament bulb.