Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Floodlights - led or tungsten?

I want to install some security lighting externally around my workshop.
5x 150W tungstens with standalone but linked PIR's would do the job.
All lamps lit if one PIR is triggered. I think most will cope with 750W
load, if not I'll include a relay in the circuit.

To ease running costs and maintenance I am thinking of led floodlights but
have no experience of them.
For the purpose they must be instant-on.
Are led worth considering, or should I stick with tungsten?

Also any suggestions for reliable PIR's? I have one, Philips I think,
installed 27 years ago and still working perfectly. Since then, others I
have installed seem to fail almost annually.

Thanks,
Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 19:39:18 -0000, "Nick"
wrote:

I want to install some security lighting externally around my workshop.
5x 150W tungstens with standalone but linked PIR's would do the job.
All lamps lit if one PIR is triggered. I think most will cope with 750W
load, if not I'll include a relay in the circuit.

To ease running costs and maintenance I am thinking of led floodlights but
have no experience of them.
For the purpose they must be instant-on.
Are led worth considering, or should I stick with tungsten?

Also any suggestions for reliable PIR's? I have one, Philips I think,
installed 27 years ago and still working perfectly. Since then, others I
have installed seem to fail almost annually.

Steinel have a range of good quality sensors and floodlights (both
halogen and LED). I have used their separate sensors and halogen PIR
floods for around 15 years without a failure so far. They are quite
expensive but, unlike the floods sold in the sheds, they are reliable
and do last well. I tend to use TLC for most electrical stuff and
they stock a reasonable range of Steinel and other cheaper makes of
PIR kit.
--
rbel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Dec, 19:39, "Nick" wrote:
I want to install some security lighting externally around my workshop.
5x 150W tungstens with standalone but linked PIR's would do the job.
All lamps lit if one PIR is triggered. I think most will cope with 750W
load, if not I'll include a relay in the circuit.

120W is the new 150W , its the lamp you`ll get with a `150` shell.

To ease running costs and maintenance I am thinking of led floodlights but
have no experience of them.

Install cost lot higher for anything near as bright, depends how
bright you actually need.

For the purpose they must be instant-on.
Are led worth considering, or should I stick with tungsten?

tungsten still got a lot of mileage left in it.

Cheers
Adam

Also any suggestions for reliable PIR's? I have one, Philips I think,
installed 27 years ago and still working perfectly. Since then, others I
have installed seem to fail almost annually.

Thanks,
Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2012 19:39, Nick wrote:
I want to install some security lighting externally around my workshop.
5x 150W tungstens with standalone but linked PIR's would do the job.
All lamps lit if one PIR is triggered. I think most will cope with 750W
load, if not I'll include a relay in the circuit.

To ease running costs and maintenance I am thinking of led floodlights but
have no experience of them.
For the purpose they must be instant-on.
Are led worth considering, or should I stick with tungsten?

Also any suggestions for reliable PIR's? I have one, Philips I think,
installed 27 years ago and still working perfectly. Since then, others I
have installed seem to fail almost annually.

Thanks,
Nick.

If they are security lights and are only on a few minutes each night its
a lot cheaper to use tungsten as the running costs are a few pence a year.
If you intend to work by them the electricity bill starts to build up
and makes LEDs look more attractive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 12:44:06 -0800 (PST), Adam Aglionby wrote:

Install cost lot higher for anything near as bright, depends how
bright you actually need.

For security you don't need bright, indeed it is counter productive as
anybody outside the pool of blinding light is effectively invisible in
the blackness and every bodies night vision is screwed up as well.

Security just needs to evenly illuminate the area so anybody in it can be
seen and that doesn't take a great deal of light.

I'm also looking at adding to the external lighting here and am tempted
by the IP65 10W LED things you can get for £20 ish but that price is
ringing the "to good to be true" alarm bell. Will investigate the Steinel
LED stuff from TLC.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 12:44:06 -0800 (PST), Adam Aglionby wrote:

Install cost lot higher for anything near as bright, depends how
bright you actually need.

For security you don't need bright, indeed it is counter productive as
anybody outside the pool of blinding light is effectively invisible in
the blackness and every bodies night vision is screwed up as well.

Security just needs to evenly illuminate the area so anybody in it can be
seen and that doesn't take a great deal of light.

I'm also looking at adding to the external lighting here and am tempted
by the IP65 10W LED things you can get for £20 ish but that price is
ringing the "to good to be true" alarm bell. Will investigate the Steinel
LED stuff from TLC.

On a recent thread we were chatting about some offerings on amazon about
20quid that looked ok, might be worth getting one for a looksee and an
extended power up trial. The you can feed back on the quality ;-).

FWIW, I thought the Steinel led and combined units were a bit pricey but
I've used their sensors and would happily use them again. The corner
mount sensors (not avail on TLC, but on amazon) are pricey but they use
multiple PIR sensors and can cover 2 sides of a building properly.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 8, 7:39*pm, "Nick" wrote:
I want to install some security lighting externally around my workshop.
5x 150W tungstens with standalone but linked PIR's would do the job.
All lamps lit if one PIR is triggered. I think most will cope with 750W
load, if not I'll include a relay in the circuit.

To ease running costs and maintenance I am thinking of led floodlights but
have no experience of them.
For the purpose they must be instant-on.
Are led worth considering, or should I stick with tungsten?

Also any suggestions for reliable PIR's? I have one, Philips I think,
installed 27 years ago and still working perfectly. Since then, others I
have installed seem to fail almost annually.

Thanks,
Nick.

Some PIR sensors need a minimum load to work properly.
More than LED floodlights.
Dunno why but something to watch out for.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Dec 2012 00:39:03 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

Some PIR sensors need a minimum load to work properly.
More than LED floodlights.
Dunno why but something to watch out for.

Solid state rather tha relay switching.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2012 21:10, dennis@home wrote:
On 08/12/2012 19:39, Nick wrote:
[...]

For dusk to dawn floodlights, I have been using ones fitted with 2 x 9W
or 4 x 9W fluorescent lamps for years.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 11:04:49 +0000, Nightjar wrote:

For the purpose they must be instant-on.

For dusk to dawn floodlights, I have been using ones fitted with 2 x 9W
or 4 x 9W fluorescent lamps for years.

er, "instant on"?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, December 8, 2012 11:29:21 PM UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:

For security you don't need bright, indeed it is counter productive as

50w halogens would probably be more suitable than 150w, but they should be capsules in a floodlight housing to be effective, not spots. 20w capsules in frosted glass globes & similar would also work quite well and look a lot nicer.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/12/2012 11:45, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 11:04:49 +0000, Nightjar wrote:

For the purpose they must be instant-on.

For dusk to dawn floodlights, I have been using ones fitted with 2 x 9W
or 4 x 9W fluorescent lamps for years.

er, "instant on"?

Yes, although full brilliance does take a few seconds. However, I was
actually replying to Dennis' point about work lights.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Nick" writes:
I want to install some security lighting externally around my workshop.
5x 150W tungstens with standalone but linked PIR's would do the job.
All lamps lit if one PIR is triggered. I think most will cope with 750W
load, if not I'll include a relay in the circuit.

To ease running costs and maintenance I am thinking of led floodlights but
have no experience of them.
For the purpose they must be instant-on.
Are led worth considering, or should I stick with tungsten?

I would stick with halogens for next couple of years.
By then, equivalent LED lamps (which do exist already)
will probably be down to affordable prices, and you can
write off the £5 you spent on the halogen fittings.

Also any suggestions for reliable PIR's? I have one, Philips I think,
installed 27 years ago and still working perfectly. Since then, others I
have installed seem to fail almost annually.

You need one with a relay, such as
http://cpc.farnell.com/defender-secu...12m/dp/SR08072
http://cpc.farnell.com/_/st10a/pir-s...ees/dp/SR08071
(although these are so much cheaper than I've paid for these
in the past, I seriously wonder if they have got the same guts
inside the case).

--
Andrew Gabriel