Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Win 7 Pro vs XP Pro

What do you gain by upgrading from
XP Pro to Win 7 Pro ?
And what do you lose ?

Jim Hawkins

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2014 18:21, Jim Hawkins wrote:
What do you gain by upgrading from
XP Pro to Win 7 Pro ?

Support/patches.
64 bit if you're sensible and hence ability to use more than 3G memory.
Task manager is better.
It's more stable IME.

And what do you lose ?

Money if the upgrade costs?
UAC can be a bit of a pain if you set it up wrong.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 18:28:04 +0000, Clive George wrote:

What do you gain by upgrading from XP Pro to Win 7 Pro ?

Support/patches.

Right now, this is the big one.

XP won't support any version of IE above IE8, and - of course - even if
you use a different browser, Windows can't have IE removed. They're very
soon stopping all security patches for XP, although IE8 might continue
until W7's support ends. It wouldn't surprise me AT ALL if there's a big
security hole that'll never be patched heading to XP very shortly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2014 18:21, Jim Hawkins wrote:

What do you gain by upgrading from
XP Pro to Win 7 Pro ?

Support, better security, compatibility with modern applications...
Win 7 64 bit is useful, XP 64 bit lacked driver support.
Start button search is quite handy.

And what do you lose ?

Support for older hardware and applications (although you may be able to
use them with an XP virtual machine)

Slight learning curve getting used to changes.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2014 19:28, John Rumm wrote:
On 07/01/2014 18:21, Jim Hawkins wrote:

What do you gain by upgrading from
XP Pro to Win 7 Pro ?

Support, better security, compatibility with modern applications...
Win 7 64 bit is useful, XP 64 bit lacked driver support.
Start button search is quite handy.

And what do you lose ?

Support for older hardware and applications (although you may be able to
use them with an XP virtual machine)

Slight learning curve getting used to changes.

W7 does not come from the land of the Teletubbies.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim Hawkins" wrote in message
What do you gain by upgrading from
XP Pro to Win 7 Pro ?
And what do you lose ?

Jim Hawkins

IMO it's all a load of M$ ********.
I ran Win'98 for years without one single patch or update and was not hacked
etc.
I have loads of M$ updates waiting for this XP machine,hey look,I'm still
here.
I will stick with XP until this pushing 7 year old computer pops it's clogs.
I don't play games etc and use AVG, Spybot, Superantispyware, Malwarebytes
and CrapCleaner.
But, each to their own.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Hawkins wrote

What do you gain by upgrading from XP Pro to Win 7 Pro ?

64bit is much more viable than with XP and that
is useful if you do much that uses much memory.

Allows you to use IE later than 8 and that is much
better if you use IE and it has some real advantages
over the other browsers in some areas.

Rather more stable than XP IMO.

I don’t give a damn about MS support myself, but plenty do.

I like the way you can just type in the name of the
operation you want in the start menu search box
and select it from the screen. That leaves XP for
dead with the stuff you use only occasionally.

And what do you lose ?

Not as easy to do local networking between your
own machines. It can still all be done, but not as
easily in the sense that 7 has the defaults set safer.

Some stuff like Outlook Express won't work and
even in the virtual XP has some real downsides
compared with real XP, particularly with screen
resolution and stuff like that.

There is obviously always some effort required
to change OSs if only working out how to do
what you already know how to do on the old one.

The repair install is still there, just harder to use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim Hawkins" wrote in message
What do you gain by upgrading from
XP Pro to Win 7 Pro ?
And what do you lose ?

Jim Hawkins

I had XP pro on this lappy (circa 2004, single core mind), great, love it.
Installed w7 pro, dire. Absolutely everything was so much slower, click an
icon, make a cuppa. So - I have XP pro on this lappy
Didn't like win7 explorer plus a few other things, image file increased from
~7gig (XP) to ~20gig (w7).
Real progress *ahem*.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Jim Hawkins wrote

What do you gain by upgrading from XP Pro to Win 7 Pro ?

64bit is much more viable than with XP and that
is useful if you do much that uses much memory.

Allows you to use IE later than 8 and that is much
better if you use IE and it has some real advantages
over the other browsers in some areas.

Rather more stable than XP IMO.

My XP machine has NEVER crashed or froze.

I don’t give a damn about MS support myself, but plenty do.

Yes.

I like the way you can just type in the name of the
operation you want in the start menu search box
and select it from the screen. That leaves XP for
dead with the stuff you use only occasionally.

And what do you lose ?

Not as easy to do local networking between your
own machines. It can still all be done, but not as
easily in the sense that 7 has the defaults set safer.

Some stuff like Outlook Express won't work and
even in the virtual XP has some real downsides
compared with real XP, particularly with screen
resolution and stuff like that.

Windows mail looks very similar to Outlook Express.

There is obviously always some effort required
to change OSs if only working out how to do
what you already know how to do on the old one.

The repair install is still there, just harder to use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2014 19:33, polygonum wrote:
On 07/01/2014 19:28, John Rumm wrote:
On 07/01/2014 18:21, Jim Hawkins wrote:

What do you gain by upgrading from
XP Pro to Win 7 Pro ?

Support, better security, compatibility with modern applications...
Win 7 64 bit is useful, XP 64 bit lacked driver support.
Start button search is quite handy.

And what do you lose ?

Support for older hardware and applications (although you may be able to
use them with an XP virtual machine)

Slight learning curve getting used to changes.

W7 does not come from the land of the Teletubbies.

My XP didn't either though. The UI on my Win7 boxes looks very similar
to my XP one...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2014 19:35, Jim Hawkins wrote:
"Clive George" wrote in message
UAC can be a bit of a pain if you set it up wrong.

What's UAC ?

If you've not met it, be glad. User Access Control, first introduced
under Vista, but mostly tamed under 7. The most obvious thing it does is
every time you want to install or update a program, it blacks out the
desktop and puts up a window saying, basically, "Are you *really,
really* sure you want to do this?", and may ask you to enter the
password for administrator permissions, which may be, and probably is on
most systems, blank.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/14 20:27, Mr Pounder wrote:
My XP machine has NEVER crashed or froze.

Apply to Microsoft for a distinguished service medal.

I think my longest up on XP without a crash is 3 hours.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2014 20:23, bm wrote:
"Jim Hawkins" wrote in message
What do you gain by upgrading from
XP Pro to Win 7 Pro ?
And what do you lose ?

Jim Hawkins

I had XP pro on this lappy (circa 2004, single core mind), great, love it.
Installed w7 pro, dire. Absolutely everything was so much slower, click an
icon, make a cuppa. So - I have XP pro on this lappy

Win 7 needs more ram - if it has enough then its generally as quick or
quicker than XP. Without it however it runs like a dog (three legged!)

Didn't like win7 explorer plus a few other things, image file increased from
~7gig (XP) to ~20gig (w7).
Real progress *ahem*.

Later OSes are bigger (unless viewed as a fraction of averaged hard
drive sizes!) - live with it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2014 19:35, Jim Hawkins wrote:
"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 07/01/2014 18:21, Jim Hawkins wrote:
What do you gain by upgrading from
XP Pro to Win 7 Pro ?

Support/patches.
64 bit if you're sensible and hence ability to use more than 3G memory.
Task manager is better.
It's more stable IME.

And what do you lose ?

Money if the upgrade costs?
UAC can be a bit of a pain if you set it up wrong.

What's UAC ?

A widget that traps any attempt by an application to make a change that
requires privilege, and if permitted, grant it temporarily.

Later versions of windows moved away from the admin privileges by
default security model to one that can gain them only when required.

You can knobble it under Win 7 if you want.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jim Hawkins wrote

What do you gain by upgrading from XP Pro to Win 7 Pro ?

64bit is much more viable than with XP and that
is useful if you do much that uses much memory.

Allows you to use IE later than 8 and that is much
better if you use IE and it has some real advantages
over the other browsers in some areas.

Rather more stable than XP IMO.

My XP machine has NEVER crashed or froze.

Most likely because you turn it off when you aren't using it.

Try running 24/7 with it never turned off
and you will see a problem eventually.

I don’t give a damn about MS support myself, but plenty do.

Yes.

I don’t even bother with service packs most of the time.

I like the way you can just type in the name of the
operation you want in the start menu search box
and select it from the screen. That leaves XP for
dead with the stuff you use only occasionally.

And what do you lose ?

Not as easy to do local networking between your
own machines. It can still all be done, but not as
easily in the sense that 7 has the defaults set safer.

Some stuff like Outlook Express won't work and
even in the virtual XP has some real downsides
compared with real XP, particularly with screen
resolution and stuff like that.

Windows mail looks very similar to Outlook Express.

Yeah, I should have said that. You can't run Quote Fix on that tho.

There is obviously always some effort required
to change OSs if only working out how to do
what you already know how to do on the old one.

The repair install is still there, just harder to use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote
Mr Pounder wrote

My XP machine has NEVER crashed or froze.

Apply to Microsoft for a distinguished service medal.

I think my longest up on XP without a crash is 3 hours.

Must have done something incredibly stupid to it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/14 20:27, Mr Pounder wrote:
My XP machine has NEVER crashed or froze.

Apply to Microsoft for a distinguished service medal.

I think my longest up on XP without a crash is 3 hours.

Sounds more like a problem with your installation than the OS itself.
Several months at a time ought not be a problem. (same has been true for
any of the Win NT based versions really).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 07/01/2014 20:23, bm wrote:
[...]

I can only think that the video drivers (ATI mobility 9700) and maybe wifi
card drivers (Intel 2200BG) were not quite right.
Whatever, 'dire' is the correct word. This lappy has 2gig RAM, usually using
1gig.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 22:56:48 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

My XP machine has NEVER crashed or froze.

Apply to Microsoft for a distinguished service medal.

I think my longest up on XP without a crash is 3 hours.

Because, of course, all those XP machines in offices crash at least twice
in the average working day...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 07/01/14 20:27, Mr Pounder wrote:
My XP machine has NEVER crashed or froze.

Apply to Microsoft for a distinguished service medal.

I think my longest up on XP without a crash is 3 hours.

I apply the patches 'cos I'm too ignorant to do anything else:-)

This m/c runs permanently; keeping the office warm. AFAIK XP has not
crashed although there have been issues with Explorer.

I see from my news client files that it was commissioned in May 2005.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2014 08:13, Adrian wrote:
On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 22:56:48 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

My XP machine has NEVER crashed or froze.

Apply to Microsoft for a distinguished service medal.

I think my longest up on XP without a crash is 3 hours.

Because, of course, all those XP machines in offices crash at least twice
in the average working day...

Those of us who know bugger all and give Windows Update free rein don't
seem to have a problem with XP or Win7
OTOH an "expert" can tweak an OS to death IME.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I think my longest up on XP without a crash is 3 hours.

Seriously, three hours? What on earth were you doing to it?
I ran XP for 7 years( fair enough it was switched off each night and
restarted the next day) and only once saw a BSOD.

Have ran 7 for four years now (also did my HNC in Networking in it),
it has never blue screened. There is one program (A game. Which runs
fine on XP [youngest son now has the XP machine]) it refuses to run
have tried (halfheartedly) to get to the bottom of this but have pretty
much chalked it down to 'one of those things'.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 09:14:17 +0000, Huge wrote:

Win 7 needs more ram - if it has enough then its generally as quick or
quicker than XP. Without it however it runs like a dog (three legged!)

Tell me about it. My 3Gb machine is no longer big enough to run W7 in a
VirtualBox, it's effectively unusable, whereas XP ran fine.

Anyone know if it's possible to put more RAM in a Dell Inspiron 530?

Crucial will tell you exactly what the score is.

But I rather suspect the issue is that it's virtualised, and your host's
plain running out of welly, rather than memory.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

Anyone know if it's possible to put more RAM in a Dell Inspiron 530?

Depends on your O/S (64 or 32 bit).
The 530 motherboard can handle a total of 4 GB in four slots (so 4x1GB)
and as you say you already have 3 GB (probably made up of 1x1GB stick
and one 512MB stick (X2) so remove the two 512 s and insert two 1 GB
sticks) sure Google will help with videos on how to upgrade RAM in a 530.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-01-08, soup wrote:
Huge wrote:

Anyone know if it's possible to put more RAM in a Dell Inspiron 530?

Depends on your O/S (64 or 32 bit).
The 530 motherboard can handle a total of 4 GB in four slots (so 4x1GB)
and as you say you already have 3 GB (probably made up of 1x1GB stick
and one 512MB stick (X2) so remove the two 512 s and insert two 1 GB
sticks) sure Google will help with videos on how to upgrade RAM in a 530.

Thanks.

Slightly annoyingly, I had the damn thing open over Xmas to install a bigger
disk - if I'd thought about it, I could have at least looked to see what the
memory situation was, if not actually done an upgrade.

Perhaps I should go back to Sun hardware. We have machines at work with 1TB
of main memory in them.

As was mentioned earlier, just run the Crucial memory scanner in this
link and Crucial will advise you on exactly what your memory total is
and inform you of what it is capable of, plus what type of memory you
need and if it will be possible to increase it.
A very useful little program

http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Slightly annoyingly, I had the damn thing open over Xmas to install a bigger
disk - if I'd thought about it, I could have at least looked to see what the
memory situation was, if not actually done an upgrade.

Perhaps I should go back to Sun hardware. We have machines at work with 1TB
of main memory in them.

As was mentioned earlier, just run the Crucial memory scanner in this
link and Crucial will advise you on exactly what your memory total is
and inform you of what it is capable of, plus what type of memory you
need and if it will be possible to increase it.
A very useful little program

http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/

Except it only runs under Windows. Which I don't.

Something else I've learnt today, thanks :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/14 09:19, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 09:14:17 +0000, Huge wrote:

Win 7 needs more ram - if it has enough then its generally as quick or
quicker than XP. Without it however it runs like a dog (three legged!)

Tell me about it. My 3Gb machine is no longer big enough to run W7 in a
VirtualBox, it's effectively unusable, whereas XP ran fine.

Anyone know if it's possible to put more RAM in a Dell Inspiron 530?

Crucial will tell you exactly what the score is.

But I rather suspect the issue is that it's virtualised, and your host's
plain running out of welly, rather than memory.

Unlikely.

since CPU is time sliced by vbx and will be allowed as much CPU as it needs

I have never net a machine that didn't have the ability to have RAM in
even Gbyte increments so Id guess 4GB is possible

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/14 08:13, Adrian wrote:
On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 22:56:48 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

My XP machine has NEVER crashed or froze.

Apply to Microsoft for a distinguished service medal.

I think my longest up on XP without a crash is 3 hours.

Because, of course, all those XP machines in offices crash at least twice
in the average working day...

They aren't running the apps that I run ;-)

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/14 09:14, soup wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I think my longest up on XP without a crash is 3 hours.

Seriously, three hours? What on earth were you doing to it?
I ran XP for 7 years( fair enough it was switched off each night and
restarted the next day) and only once saw a BSOD.

oh its never a BSOD - it just hangs - runs out of memory.

Have ran 7 for four years now (also did my HNC in Networking in it),
it has never blue screened. There is one program (A game. Which runs
fine on XP [youngest son now has the XP machine]) it refuses to run
have tried (halfheartedly) to get to the bottom of this but have pretty
much chalked it down to 'one of those things'.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , soup
writes

you say you already have 3 GB

(probably made up of 1x1GB stick
and one 512MB stick (X2)

that's 2GB.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/14 09:14, soup wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I think my longest up on XP without a crash is 3 hours.

Seriously, three hours? What on earth were you doing to it?
I ran XP for 7 years( fair enough it was switched off each night and
restarted the next day) and only once saw a BSOD.

oh its never a BSOD - it just hangs - runs out of memory.

You must be doing something extremely odd then, as I have had XP SP3
running reliably (As in days between reboots for other reasons) in 2
gigabytes of RAM and no swapfile, all held on a 4 gigabyte SSD. It was
slow, but then again, it *was* running on the EEEPC.

XP SP3 is v e r y s l o w with less than a gigabyte of RAM due to the
paging needed, but I've never had the OS hang due to memory problems as
long as the swapfile is enabled and big enough. XP SP1 and SP2 used to
run quite nicely in 128 megabytes of RAM using a Pentium 300 processor.
The bloat didn't arrive until SP3 was released.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Rod Speed
writes

Try running 24/7 with it never turned off
and you will see a problem eventually.

Your usual bull****, Woddles.

My XP system is on 24/7, stays up for weeks, and only gets rebooted when
bloody M$ Update has installed something that demands a restart.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2014 20:44 John Williamson wrote:

On 07/01/2014 19:35, Jim Hawkins wrote:
"Clive George" wrote in message
UAC can be a bit of a pain if you set it up wrong.

What's UAC ?

If you've not met it, be glad. User Access Control, first introduced
under Vista, but mostly tamed under 7. The most obvious thing it does is
every time you want to install or update a program, it blacks out the
desktop and puts up a window saying, basically, "Are you *really,
really* sure you want to do this?", and may ask you to enter the
password for administrator permissions, which may be, and probably is on
most systems, blank.

Turn it off. It's easy to do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/14 09:14, soup wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I think my longest up on XP without a crash is 3 hours.

Seriously, three hours? What on earth were you doing to it?
I ran XP for 7 years( fair enough it was switched off each night and
restarted the next day) and only once saw a BSOD.

oh its never a BSOD - it just hangs - runs out of memory.

Running on real hardware or in a VM?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/14 09:19, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 09:14:17 +0000, Huge wrote:

Win 7 needs more ram - if it has enough then its generally as quick or
quicker than XP. Without it however it runs like a dog (three legged!)

Tell me about it. My 3Gb machine is no longer big enough to run W7 in a
VirtualBox, it's effectively unusable, whereas XP ran fine.

Anyone know if it's possible to put more RAM in a Dell Inspiron 530?

Crucial will tell you exactly what the score is.

But I rather suspect the issue is that it's virtualised, and your host's
plain running out of welly, rather than memory.

Unlikely.

since CPU is time sliced by vbx and will be allowed as much CPU as it needs

I have never net a machine that didn't have the ability to have RAM in
even Gbyte increments so Id guess 4GB is possible

You can usually stick in 4GB, but 32 bit windows can't make use of all
of it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 12:29:37 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

My XP machine has NEVER crashed or froze.

Apply to Microsoft for a distinguished service medal.

I think my longest up on XP without a crash is 3 hours.

Because, of course, all those XP machines in offices crash at least
twice in the average working day...

They aren't running the apps that I run ;-)

Glad we agree that the problem isn't the OS.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
soup writes
you say you already have 3 GB
(probably made up of 1x1GB stick
and one 512MB stick (X2)

that's 2GB.

No it's 3GB.

Badly written I'll agree, but it is three, 1GB and 512MB =(roughly[1])
1.5GB, this times two is three GB. Four sticks (2x1GB and 2X512MB) in
four slots .
Manufacturers have a habit of making any upgrade as expensive as poss.

[1] Depends on your stance with this Gibibytes stuff and does 1GB = 10³
0r 2^10 KB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I have never net a machine that didn't have the ability to have RAM in
even Gbyte increments so Id guess 4GB is possible.

Only if his O/S can handle all those memory addresses, 64 bit windows
can but 32 bit windows can't[1]. How many addresses can his O/S handle?

Incidentally isn't the amount of RAM accessible limited to 3.125GB in
the BIOS of the 530

[1] Theoretically it can but there are lots of reports about 32 bit
Windows only "seeing" 3.5 GB. Quite often this 'lost' memory has been
reserved for on-board video but with the Inspiron having a separate
graphic card all bets are off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
On 2014-01-08, soup wrote:
Huge wrote:

[...]

There are various Windows utilities that will identify hardware, tell
you how much and what RAM you have, the specs etc. I'd assume thee are
similar Linux utilities around
--
Chris French