Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French chris French is offline

Default Win 7 Pro vs XP Pro

In message , Huge
writes
On 2014-01-08, Bod wrote:
On 08/01/2014 10:23, Huge wrote:
On 2014-01-08, soup wrote:
Huge wrote:

Anyone know if it's possible to put more RAM in a Dell Inspiron 530?

Depends on your O/S (64 or 32 bit).
The 530 motherboard can handle a total of 4 GB in four slots (so 4x1GB)
and as you say you already have 3 GB (probably made up of 1x1GB stick
and one 512MB stick (X2) so remove the two 512 s and insert two 1 GB
sticks) sure Google will help with videos on how to upgrade RAM in a 530.

Thanks.

Slightly annoyingly, I had the damn thing open over Xmas to install a bigger
disk - if I'd thought about it, I could have at least looked to see what the
memory situation was, if not actually done an upgrade.

Perhaps I should go back to Sun hardware. We have machines at work with 1TB
of main memory in them.

As was mentioned earlier, just run the Crucial memory scanner in this
link and Crucial will advise you on exactly what your memory total is
and inform you of what it is capable of, plus what type of memory you
need and if it will be possible to increase it.
A very useful little program

http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/

Except it only runs under Windows. Which I don't.

There are various Windows utilities that will identify hardware, tell
you how much and what RAM you have, the specs etc. I'd assume thee are
similar Linux utilities around
--
Chris French