Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Win 7 Pro vs XP Pro

On 08/01/14 09:19, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 09:14:17 +0000, Huge wrote:

Win 7 needs more ram - if it has enough then its generally as quick or
quicker than XP. Without it however it runs like a dog (three legged!)

Tell me about it. My 3Gb machine is no longer big enough to run W7 in a
VirtualBox, it's effectively unusable, whereas XP ran fine.

Anyone know if it's possible to put more RAM in a Dell Inspiron 530?

Crucial will tell you exactly what the score is.

But I rather suspect the issue is that it's virtualised, and your host's
plain running out of welly, rather than memory.

Unlikely.

since CPU is time sliced by vbx and will be allowed as much CPU as it needs

I have never net a machine that didn't have the ability to have RAM in
even Gbyte increments so Id guess 4GB is possible

You can usually stick in 4GB, but 32 bit windows can't make use of all
of it.

--
Cheers,

John.