Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Win 7 Pro vs XP Pro

Mr Pounder wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jim Hawkins wrote

What do you gain by upgrading from XP Pro to Win 7 Pro ?

64bit is much more viable than with XP and that
is useful if you do much that uses much memory.

Allows you to use IE later than 8 and that is much
better if you use IE and it has some real advantages
over the other browsers in some areas.

Rather more stable than XP IMO.

My XP machine has NEVER crashed or froze.

Most likely because you turn it off when you aren't using it.

Try running 24/7 with it never turned off
and you will see a problem eventually.

I don’t give a damn about MS support myself, but plenty do.

Yes.

I don’t even bother with service packs most of the time.

I like the way you can just type in the name of the
operation you want in the start menu search box
and select it from the screen. That leaves XP for
dead with the stuff you use only occasionally.

And what do you lose ?

Not as easy to do local networking between your
own machines. It can still all be done, but not as
easily in the sense that 7 has the defaults set safer.

Some stuff like Outlook Express won't work and
even in the virtual XP has some real downsides
compared with real XP, particularly with screen
resolution and stuff like that.

Windows mail looks very similar to Outlook Express.

Yeah, I should have said that. You can't run Quote Fix on that tho.

There is obviously always some effort required
to change OSs if only working out how to do
what you already know how to do on the old one.

The repair install is still there, just harder to use.