Posted to uk.d-i-y
bm[_2_] bm[_2_] is offline

Default Win 7 Pro vs XP Pro

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 07/01/2014 20:23, bm wrote:
"Jim Hawkins" wrote in message
What do you gain by upgrading from
XP Pro to Win 7 Pro ?
And what do you lose ?

Jim Hawkins

I had XP pro on this lappy (circa 2004, single core mind), great, love
it.
Installed w7 pro, dire. Absolutely everything was so much slower, click
an
icon, make a cuppa. So - I have XP pro on this lappy

Win 7 needs more ram - if it has enough then its generally as quick or
quicker than XP. Without it however it runs like a dog (three legged!)

Didn't like win7 explorer plus a few other things, image file increased
from
~7gig (XP) to ~20gig (w7).
Real progress *ahem*.

Later OSes are bigger (unless viewed as a fraction of averaged hard drive
sizes!) - live with it.

I can only think that the video drivers (ATI mobility 9700) and maybe wifi
card drivers (Intel 2200BG) were not quite right.
Whatever, 'dire' is the correct word. This lappy has 2gig RAM, usually using
1gig.